ADVERTISEMENT

Moss was fouled

Back to the original point, I've watched several games this year, where fouls were in fact called at the very end. Oregon vs Wash, they called a foul on Oregon where there was little contact on a running last second 3 with little probability. Washington ended up winning because of it. Miss St game the other night. The list goes on, sucks they didn't stay consistent at the end of our game, because those were most definitely fouls.

In other years this team would have folded and lost by 20 with the way they were shooting. This team is different. It was an off night where a Kriener dunk or a couple of fouls (that were in fact fouls) could have changed the outcome to a W. This team is different. They are mentally tough and play together. They take ownership and accountability for their own play. Losing by one to a Top 25 team on your worst shooting night in a long time is not something to be too upset about. Let's make some noise in March and enjoy the ride!!!

Reactions: mtown66
Seems there are folks that think Iowa players are robots. These kids just won consecutive games on last-second shots. That takes an emotional toll, never mind the physical toll—especially against Rutgers, a very physically imposing team. One could almost see the Iowa guys trying to will themselves to overcome their flatness. And despite the game being ugly, missed shots, weird bounces, plenty of opportunity to show immaturity and frustration—they just kept grinding and grinding and grinding.

In many ways I've never been more proud of an effort than they gave versus Maryland. There were plenty of opportunities to let go of the rope and they never did. Grind, grind, grind.

Do I wish Iowa was amazingly good at blocking out and defensive rebounding? Hell yes. Nothing annoys me more than poor rebounding fundamentals. But I'm not entitled to that, despite what I might think of Fran's salary or what have you. The kids I'm watching I feel damn fortunate that they're "mine" to root for, even as like any other fan I get critical of this or that.

Human beings, especially 18-22 year-old human beings, are not robots. At times the tank isn't as full—that was an emotionally drained, physically drained team. I loved how that group of kids wouldn't let go of the rope. They didn't at Minnesota despite the Gophers carving them up with amazing ease (they were in a five-man passing and cutting and shooting zone). They didn't versus Northwestern when it seemed like they couldn't get anything going and Northwestern was banking in threes. They didn't versus Rutgers, and they never did versus Maryland, either.

And versus Maryland I kept thinking, wouldn't it be nice if Pemsl could come in and give us a jolt.

This group has absolutely become one of my favorites, flaws and all.

Last edited:
I don't know if JoeW's back was bothering him, but he had an especially down game. If he alone plays his usual game, I think Iowa wins easily. I hope there is not a lingering effect, because the B1G is all about moving on to the next game and playing well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT