ADVERTISEMENT

Most NCAA Champions that came out of a high school recruiting class?

Feb 10, 2015
Can anyone think of a recruiting class coming out of high school that produced the most NCAA Champions? Just at a glance I looked at the class of 2013 which has a lot of talent, one NCAA Champion already and a lot of guys that are sitting behind a load of upperclassmen that would potentially clear the way or NCAA title runs in the near future.

I.E. Bo Jordan ranked #5 but definitely talented enough to get it done, Isaiah Martinez #1, Brandon Sorenson #4 but would be no surprise to end up on top this year. J'den Cox #1 and returning champ (Kyven's my guy so I got him this year, sorry Burak), Zach Epperly #7 but he's behind 5 seniors and a Junior and a stacked weight in general. Adam Coon #6 and also sitting behind all upperclassman, Geo Martinez #6 who is behind 4 seniors and a sophomore and Joey Dance #3.

I excluded people like Zane Retherford, Nathan Tomasello, etc. because they are in stacked weight classes behind the guys I mentioned above that seem to have a better shot at a title.
So there is 1 already and a great potential for another 7 which would bring the class to 8. Obviously this is a long way out and pure speculation but does anyone agree it can be done? Or does anyone know of another class that touched 8 Champs or came close?

It shouldn't be anymore difficult then someone asking what High School Senior class produced the most NFL draft picks.. Just apply that to wrestling and NCAA titles..

Originally posted by DoubleChickenWing:
It shouldn't be anymore difficult then someone asking what High School Senior class produced the most NFL draft picks.. Just apply that to wrestling and NCAA titles..
Go for it.
eek.r191677.gif

Last years class had Ramos, St. John, Maple, Taylor, Ruth, Perry, Nelson and Dake all win titles in there career.

I think they were all from the same High School class.
This post was edited on 3/4 3:35 PM by PrairieHawk1

Originally posted by DoubleChickenWing:
It shouldn't be anymore difficult then someone asking what High School Senior class produced the most NFL draft picks.. Just apply that to wrestling and NCAA titles..[/QUOTE]Go for it.
eek.r191677.gif

Kinda the point of me posting the thread.. Wasn't sure if someone knew the answer, clearly you do not.

Last years class had Ramos, St. John, Maple, Taylor, Ruth, Perry, Nelson and Dake all win titles in there career.

I think they were all from the same High School class.
This post was edited on 3/4 3:35 PM by PrairieHawk1

Thanks Prairiehawk, i was thinking that 8 would be a heck of a lot for one class but obviously that class got to that level!

Looking at the classes that produced the most multi-time champs...

HS class of 1978 (graduated 1983):
Carr (3x)
M Schultz (3x)
E Banach (3x)
Burley (2x)
L Banach (2x)

HS class of 2009 (graduated 2014--Dake in 2013):
Dake (3x)
Ruth (3x)
Taylor (2x)
C Perry (2x)

HS class of 1987 (graduated 1992):
Tom Brands (3x)
Terry Brands (2x)
Prescott (2x)
Demaray (2x)
Angle (2x)

HS class of 1984 (graduated 1989):
Haselrig (3x)
Krieger (2x)
Voelker (2x)
Santoro (2x)
Cuvo (2x)

HS class of 1992 (graduated 1997):
McIlravey (3x)
McCoy (2x)
Branch (2x)
Kolat (2x)

If i would consider finding the answer, I might start with twins who have both won championships....ie Brands and Banachs!I would doubt there would be a school with more than 3 in a single graduating class but again you could also go to prep schools like Blair!

Tarp,

I know this board frowns on giving any credit to Nelson
3dgrin.r191677.gif
but I think Nelson fits into your 2009 breakdown.

Also, I am pretty sure Dake was a 4Xer!
This post was edited on 3/4 5:03 PM by MSU158

Sorry thought this for National Champs from one schools graduating class.

Also, Dake and Taylor were not the same high school class. Remember, Dake did not redshirt.

I would think it is fairly common for a class to have 8 or 9 champs from it. After all there are 40 champs over a 4 year period. Personally, I do not like doing the research. However, I like reading about it when someone does it.

Originally posted by lookleft goright:
Also, Dake and Taylor were not the same high school class. Remember, Dake did not redshirt.

I would think it is fairly common for a class to have 8 or 9 champs from it. After all there are 40 champs over a 4 year period. Personally, I do not like doing the research. However, I like reading about it when someone does it.
Dake and Taylor are from the same class. You are correct Dake didn't redshirt, which is why Taylor wrestled a year later.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT