ADVERTISEMENT

Murin

Murin is only a soph and if he places well this year I look for him to jump levels next year. No disrespect to our guys in room but having a workout partner like the riddler JE is going to really pay dividends and elevate his performance as opposed to his current competition.

Murin is only a soph and if he places well this year I look for him to jump levels next year. No disrespect to our guys in room but having a workout partner like the riddler JE is going to really pay dividends and elevate his performance as opposed to his current competition.

Is JE in room now (that he’s officially in student directory)?

The OT takedown was a perfect example of the adjustments Murin made this year. When he first got in, his head was in the middle. Last year, he would have come out the back door and got his ankles tied up and stalemated or countered. This year he slides his head up and to the outside and runs through him for 2. He has a lot more pop this year.

Murin's physical performance was incredible especially considering his time off and lack of goes with his injury.

I was just as impressed with his attitude and mental edge he had. He looked laser focused and had a a confidence that was clear and very reassuring in his ability to score meaningful points at nationals. You could see that he knew he was going to find a way to win and fully believed in his abilities.

Huge for the team to have both him and Desanto out there looking that good!

Yeah. I think the only thing that derails us this year is injuries. It is very encouraging to see DeSanto, Murin, and Cass looking pretty healthy. Hopefully Assad is back healthy next week. I think Brands has done a nice job resting our guys with injuries and dings. Being healthy at NCAAs is so much more important than beating other teams in duals by another 3-6 points.

Murin's physical performance was incredible especially considering his time off and lack of goes with his injury.

I was just as impressed with his attitude and mental edge he had. He looked laser focused and had a a confidence that was clear and very reassuring in his ability to score meaningful points at nationals. You could see that he knew he was going to find a way to win and fully believed in his abilities.
I did not realize he was 0-2 against McKee coming in, but even not knowing that I thought McKee would win. Partially because McKee is good, and because Max has been out and he hasn't proven he can win these types of matches regularly. Both guys were tougher than hell.

Its only one match, but that's a signature type win in my book for Max Murin. He's still a fringe AA IMO, but this didn't hurt him obviously. Really impressive stuff it was. McKee forced him to be tough throughout, and he was.

BTN displayed Flo has him ranked 3rd. Is that right?
I saw Chad Redd was ranked behind him. I wonder if Redd has picked up a bad loss recently?

Murin’s match was awesome last night though. I was pumped to see him wrestling without the shoulder brace. Looked really good.

I think he’s a top 6 guy at the weight and if he wrestles well he could end up in the 3rd place match on Saturday at Nationals.

Reactions: OldestandGreatest
Pretty cool that Murin thought he wasn’t going last night and Brands asked him if he wanted to during the Intermission. He then goes out and beats McKee. That is his 1st win over an AA in his career. Pretty damn impressive coming off an injury on such short notice!

I saw Chad Redd was ranked behind him. I wonder if Redd has picked up a bad loss recently?

Murin’s match was awesome last night though. I was pumped to see him wrestling without the shoulder brace. Looked really good.

I think he’s a top 6 guy at the weight and if he wrestles well he could end up in the 3rd place match on Saturday at Nationals.
Murin is ranked 3rd because of his win over Moran who has wins over both Red and McKee. Murin's only loss is to Red whereas the others have multiple losses, so he gets the nod. No matter what somebody was going to be ranked lower than somebody they beat.

Murin is ranked 3rd because of his win over Moran who has wins over both Red and McKee. Murin's only loss is to Red whereas the others have multiple losses, so he gets the nod. No matter what somebody was going to be ranked lower than somebody they beat.
Makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the info

Makes me feel a lot better about March! We seemed to be losing momentum for a few weeks. Last night the Hawks looked good. Assad back healthy next week and I will feel even better. Warner should get some credit too. He looked like a man on a mission.

Excellent point regarding Warner. Just like Tim Johnson and Jim Gibbons said toward the end of the match..."that was the best Warner" they've seen. If he wrestles like that at NCAAs, we should be able to get bonus points from him in the first round and potentially the second as well. After that I think he'll go back to focusing solely on the win and not chasing points. That said, I was very impressed. Loved watching his match...and really liked seeing what he was capable of if he lets it fly. Always wanted Cash to let it fly like that...

The OT takedown was a perfect example of the adjustments Murin made this year. When he first got in, his head was in the middle. Last year, he would have come out the back door and got his ankles tied up and stalemated or countered. This year he slides his head up and to the outside and runs through him for 2. He has a lot more pop this year.

Great technical obs. We have an amazing coaching staff and Max is obviously a great student. He also looks significantly more muscular this year. You could read his lips after getting the win, he said “I’m back baby” as he walked back to the Hawkeye bench. Very impressed with his improvement.

Great technical obs. We have an amazing coaching staff and Max is obviously a great student. He also looks significantly more muscular this year. You could read his lips after getting the win, he said “I’m back baby” as he walked back to the Hawkeye bench. Very impressed with his improvement.

didn’t watch the match but the “I’m back baby” is the best part for Hawkeyes fans IMO.

I always thought Murins two biggest issues were between the ears, and that he skips leg day. Believing in yourself fixes 99% of the between the ears stuff if you ask me (which you didn’t. I know.).

as far as skipping leg day, can’t fix that midseason :)

Reactions: so cal hawkfan
A better conditioned Warner for sure. His last 3 matches its showed in his guickness and reaction time. I see him making the finals

Unfortunately he could very well get seeded 4th or 5th at NCAAs, which would put him on the same side of the bracket as Moore. He’s gotta take care of business vs Rasheed, Schultz, and Brunner at B10s, and he’s got a tough test in Dakota Geer next weekend as well. Hoping JWar can keep up what he’s got going right now.

Reactions: HIWILLE
Unfortunately he could very well get seeded 4th or 5th at NCAAs, which would put him on the same side of the bracket as Moore. He’s gotta take care of business vs Rasheed, Schultz, and Brunner at B10s, and he’s got a tough test in Dakota Geer next weekend as well. Hoping JWar can keep up what he’s got going right now.
#3 ranked Darmstadt lost yesterday. So that might help Warner.

I would be completely stunned if Warner made the Finals. Maybe even beyond stunned, regardless of his seed. All for him proving me wrong.

I do give him credit for placing last year as a RS Freshman, based on his body of work, but he can be inconsistent with his offense, and that could lead to an early 3-2 type loss. That part concerns me more than a little bit.

didn’t watch the match but the “I’m back baby” is the best part for Hawkeyes fans IMO.

I always thought Murins two biggest issues were between the ears, and that he skips leg day. Believing in yourself fixes 99% of the between the ears stuff if you ask me (which you didn’t. I know.).

as far as skipping leg day, can’t fix that midseason :)

Leg weight is bad weight.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
Max seems to have the most heart on the team. He looks to treat every match as life or death.

You have a bunch of guys with about as much heart on the mat as is humanly possible . . . plus one as inhumane as possible. ;)

Maybe what you mean is that Murin wears his heart on his sleeve more than any other.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT