ADVERTISEMENT

Dreshaun Ross

Focusing on one sport year round from 3rd grade thru high school is what causes burnout and higher injury rates imo. Encourage your kids to be multi sport atheletes until high school, then focus on only their favorites or their strengths. That prevents burnout and helps with injuries.

Any coach worth a lick will say this.

You ever been to a practice?
Yeah. Haha. A lot. It’s not an easy practice and I would say it’s a skill based club. It’s not everyone, but to say it causes or leads to injuries more than any other wrestling club practice is outlandish. Wrestling is not an easy sport. If you looking for a sport that coddles you go play b ball. Full stop.

Any coach worth a lick will say this.
I do agree that the vast majority of kids should not focus on one singular sport. That said, there are those kids that show a unique skill set and it sets them apart from their peer…regardless the sport. There are also kids that their wrestling club becomes their family. Their best friends are at the club, and they don’t even consider playing any other sport because they enjoy the process and their club.

There’s a lot that goes into this, as in all things.

I do agree that the vast majority of kids should not focus on one singular sport. That said, there are those kids that show a unique skill set and it sets them apart from their peer…regardless the sport. There are also kids that their wrestling club becomes their family. Their best friends are at the club, and they don’t even consider playing any other sport because they enjoy the process and their club.

There’s a lot that goes into this, as in all things.
This is really true. I'm a multi-sport guy, but every so often those outliers will come along. It's tough to disagree with them when they decide to focus on one.

Reactions: HawkFan1986
Yeah. Haha. A lot. It’s not an easy practice and I would say it’s a skill based club. It’s not everyone, but to say it causes or leads to injuries more than any other wrestling club practice is outlandish. Wrestling is not an easy sport. If you looking for a sport that coddles you go play b ball. Full stop.
Nobody said his hard practices lead to injuries.

Wrestling year round starting in peewee does though. There’s statistics that show it.

Also can create burnout for the majority of kids.

Reactions: tiltman
Focusing on one sport year round from 3rd grade thru high school is what causes burnout and higher injury rates imo. Encourage your kids to be multi sport atheletes until high school, then focus on only their favorites or their strengths. That prevents burnout and helps with injuries.
Could you please email this out to every kid, competitive, MS, and HS coach in the country?

Sincerely,
A HS Wrestling Coach

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT