ADVERTISEMENT

My biggest issue with Fran...

BrewHawk

HR Heisman
Jul 21, 2004
Lucas, TX
...and I've said it before, is that he isn't an effort-demanding coach.

This is obvious when we see the lack of defense and rebounding, where effort can overcome a lot of other deficiencies (poor shooting, turnovers, talent discrepancy).

I am so damn tired of seeing defenders standing straight up with their hands at their sides. Yes, it takes more energy to get your butt down and be big with your arms. Guess what...this is why we play ten players. Bust your ass for a few minutes and then get a blow.

Instead we have mental midgets who drop their heads and pout the minute a shot doesn't fall and then don't give any effort on the other end of the court because they're sad they aren't playing offense well, because that's all their coach expects.

I don't mind the players we have at all. Just wish they were held more accountable for the effort they give on D and the glass. There is zero expectations/teaching here, so why would they put any emphasis on it?

I've told the kids I've coached (and keep preaching to my son) that the only thing I will get upset about is a lack of effort. Last night, the Iowa team had a lack of effort and it's absolutely inexcusable at this level...unless you're Fran McCaffery.

Last edited:

This is obvious when we see the lack of defense and rebounding, where effort can overcome a lot of other deficiencies (poor shooting, turnovers, talent discrepancy).

I am so damn tired of seeing defenders standing straight up with their hands at their sides. Yes, it takes more energy to get your butt down and be big with your arms. Guess what...this is why we play ten players. Bust your ass for a few minutes and then get a blow.

Instead we have mental midgets who drop their heads and pout the minute a shot doesn't fall and then don't give any effort on the other end of the court because they're sad they aren't playing offense well, because that's all their coach expects.

I don't mind the players we have at all. Just wish they were held more accountable for the effort they give on D and the glass. There is zero expectations/teaching here, so why would they put any emphasis on it?

I've told the kids I've coached (and keep preaching to my son) that the only thing I will get upset about is a lack of effort. Last night, the Iowa team had a lack of effort and it's absolutely inexcusable at this level...unless you're Fran McCaffery.
I agree the effort is always lacking for the most part and mental toughness IMO.

I watched a women's game (last one?) a few days ago. Difference between night and day. The ladies would sag a bit on the off side, and then SPRINT back to their assignment when the ball started to swing back. And then on offense everyone was passing great. It was like watching a machine!

I've said this on other threads; but what gets me are the number of Hawk players that will whine about a call. It is bad enough that their coach throws temper tantrums; the players doing it shows a lack of sportsmanship and discipline. Any decent coach would bench their whiney asses. This has been a hallmark of Fran's teams with his sons being the worst offenders.

Agree, he'll flip a lid over turnovers but laziness isn't a big deal.

It's such an odd ball strategy compared with the majority of college teams that are mostly focused on defense.

What drives me nuts is it really looks like certain starters are just out there trying to avoid fouls.

That's ridiculous given that Fran plays 10 guys. No one should be worried about fouling.

I've said this on other threads; but what gets me are the number of Hawk players that will whine about a call. It is bad enough that their coach throws temper tantrums; the players doing it shows a lack of sportsmanship and discipline. Any decent coach would bench their whiney asses. This has been a hallmark of Fran's teams with his sons being the worst offenders.
You must attend a lot of games but I just don't see the whining on TV from players

• Haha
Reactions: flynnhicks03

It's such an odd ball strategy compared with the majority of college teams that are mostly focused on defense.

What drives me nuts is it really looks like certain starters are just out there trying to avoid fouls.

That's ridiculous given that Fran plays 10 guys. No one should be worried about fouling.

exhibit #1
PMac. 3 fouls in 8 GS and 218 minutes.

Fran dis-incentivizes defense by benching players with 2 fouls, and incentivizing players NOT to foul, by allowing them to play with out ever being benched for bad defense.

it’s the definition of insanity, unless the new Iowa female AD wants to step in and mandatorily bench the familial kids that don’t play defense, this I’ll always be the case.

exhibit #1

Fran dis-incentivizes defense by benching players with 2 fouls, and incentivizing players NOT to foul, by allowing them to play with out ever being benched for bad defense.

it’s the definition of insanity, unless the new Iowa female AD wants to step in and mandatorily bench the familial kids that don’t play defense, this I’ll always be the case.
I agree let's not be aggressive on D and commit fouls or see the bench until after the break

In all honesty I think Fran lacks mental toughness as a coach. Too much of a hothead in the wrong situations and it doesn’t ever seem like a positive effect on the team performance. I like Fran but his strategy and in game behavior lacks in my opinion.

100% agree. I don't hate Fran but I think his blowups at the officials and techs do nothing for this team anymore.

Last night I think Purdue went on about a 14-0 run after the tech.

Edit- which was after we were hanging by a thread but cut it to 8. The call looked like it should have been a jump but we got gifted a possession on a bad call the possession before. You can't fly off the rocker when a 50-50 call doesn't go your way on the first one.

100% agree. I don't hate Fran but I think his blowups at the officials and techs do nothing for this team anymore.

Last night I think Purdue went on about a 14-0 run after the tech.

Edit- which was after we were hanging by a thread but cut it to 8. The call looked like it should have been a jump but we got gifted a possession on a bad call the possession before. You can't fly off the rocker when a 50-50 call doesn't go your way on the first one.
Agree. He can’t seem to understand that a call might go against Iowa but the opposing team might throw it away or miss the shot. It’s as if that possession decides who wins or loses the game. And he loses his mind over it regardless of coaching for over 30 years and his freak outs don’t change it, actually hurts it, especially when he gets a technical at the worst times as of late. The man loses his mind once he steps on the sideline for a game. He goes cra cra.

We’ve been watching the same movie for 13+ years. I don’t care who Fran brings in - we still see the same results.

The guy has a .500 conference record and 0 sniffs at the Sweet 16.

Fan apathy set in years ago. The diehards will tell you ‘careful what you wish for - remember Todd Lickliter?’

We are a middle of the pack program. Nothing more, nothing less. It’s not game times keeping fans away … it’s the product.

I used to be on the local IClub board and I know many, many Iowa fans in Des Moines. I say with 100 percent honesty … many don’t think twice about Iowa basketball. In my immediate circle of Hawk friends … never do we talk about driving to Carver. Many say they record the game and skip through it. And some admit they rarely watch Iowa basketball any longer.

Man, Iowa basketball used to be so fun. Now it’s an afterthought for so many.

Fran has peaked at Iowa. It won’t get better. Nothing will change no matter the roster. We live and die by the 3 and lack defense. Fran’s record speaks for itself …

☝️this. Watch the number of times we have defenders with straight legs.

My biggest issue is that our guys were so confused on their defensive rotations and double teams. It's like they don't even practice it. When you have three guys running to the one post guy, somebody messed up. Just looked up Joe Toussaint. He's averaging 15 ppg, and 4 assists. We could use him right now.

My biggest issue is that our guys were so confused on their defensive rotations and double teams. It's like they don't even practice it. When you have three guys running to the one post guy, somebody messed up. Just looked up Joe Toussaint. He's averaging 15 ppg, and 4 assists. We could use him right now.
out of position and standing makes it hard to help and rotate. Fran will tolerate that but not a penetration dribble that ends in a turnover (unless it's PMAC avg 1 to per game).

Reactions: amahawk
We’ve been watching the same movie for 13+ years. I don’t care who Fran brings in - we still see the same results.

Fan apathy set in years ago. The diehards will tell you ‘careful what you wish for - remember Todd Lickliter?’

We are a middle of the pack program. Nothing more, nothing less. It’s not game times keeping fans away … it’s the product.

I used to be on the local IClub board and I know many, many Iowa fans in Des Moines. I say with 100 percent honesty … many don’t think twice about Iowa basketball. In my immediate circle of Hawk friends … never do we talk about driving to Carver. Many say they record the game and skip through it. And some admit they rarely watch Iowa basketball any longer.

Fran has peaked at Iowa. It won’t get better. Nothing will change no matter the roster. We live and die by the 3 and lack defense. Fran’s record speaks for itself …
I used to never miss a game on TV. Went to as many games as I could. Absolutely loved Hawkeye basketball.

Now......I don't care all that much. Still go to a game or two each season, but rarely watch live. I record and watch if they win. Sure, the Hawks are fun to watch when they are hitting their shots, but I've grown tired of the poor defense, not having decent true points guards, and Fran's sideline antics. Not to mention no Sweet 16's. That is inexcusable.

I'm not calling for Fran to be fired, but I won't shed a tear when he's gone.

I noticed Fran had Bowen fronting Edey on the double team in Purdue game. Didn't see PMAC in paint at all to help on Edey even though PMAC is 2nd tallest player in top10. Edey was 9/10 from the field and had 8 or so offensive rebounds. Edey was the Purdue team.

The reason PMAC plays on the perimeter is Fran knows his boy doesn't like physical contact and its emotioanally fragile. It is a complete double standard what Fran tolerated with his two boys and how he treated the rest of the team. Fran used to have Kris Murray guard Edey in the post in the BTT...no problem if Kris took an elbow to his face. The stats Kris Murray vs PMAC were always in Kris Murray's favor + Kris played defense. The real reason Kris didn't play at all as a Freshman is he would have outplayed PMAC and it would have been obvious who belonged on the bench.

Defense is optional with Fran. They do at times look good on offense when 3pt shots are falling.

All that said, Fran is better than Lickliter. Lil' LIck bless his heart tried hard, but was an Intramural athletic talent.

I noticed Fran had Bowen fronting Edey on the double team in Purdue game. Didn't see PMAC in paint at all to help on Edey even though PMAC is 2nd tallest player in top10. Edey was 9/10 from the field and had 8 or so offensive rebounds. Edey was the Purdue team.

The reason PMAC plays on the perimeter is Fran knows his boy doesn't like physical contact and its emotioanally fragile. It is a complete double standard what Fran tolerated with his two boys and how he treated the rest of the team. Fran used to have Kris Murray guard Edey in the post in the BTT...no problem if Kris took an elbow to his face. The stats Kris Murray vs PMAC were always in Kris Murray's favor + Kris played defense. The real reason Kris didn't play at all as a Freshman is he would have outplayed PMAC and it would have been obvious who belonged on the bench.

Defense is optional with Fran. They do at times look good on offense when 3pt shots are falling.

All that said, Fran is better than Lickliter. Lil' LIck bless his heart tried hard, but was an Intramural athletic talent.
I also noticed Patrick got about as close to Eyde as any of us.

It's not good we're this bad in his 14th season. Not good and not fun to watch.

0 sniffs? That's wrong. We were one free throw away.

I also noticed Patrick got about as close to Eyde as any of us.

It's not good we're this bad in his 14th season. Not good and not fun to watch.
In bold is true from my perspective as well. PM is as soft and would make Mr. Whipple proud, but sports you have to be a bit tougher.

I am really looking forward to no McCaffery's on the team and Dad retiring. Iowa future is stuck with FM BBall. JMO

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
In bold is true from my perspective as well. PM is as soft and would make Mr. Whipple proud, but sports you have to be a bit tougher.

I am really looking forward to no McCaffery's on the team and Dad retiring. Iowa future is stuck with FM BBall. JMO
Everything went a little south once his kids started playing.

Connor was dealable, Patrick is scared to play inside, you can see it every time he drives.
When he went left and got fouled the other night he had no intention of trying to make a shot, just throw it up and see if he gets fouled.

Reactions: SocraticIshmael
Im trying to understand how NIL is helping us. Iowa is relatively wealthy program without NIL. Certainly upper mid conference.

I dont know what their identity is. Not this year. every year. is it play fast but controlled on offense and 3/4 press sometimes on defense?

Both seem like half ass approaches.

I used to never miss a game on TV. Went to as many games as I could. Absolutely loved Hawkeye basketball.

Now......I don't care all that much. Still go to a game or two each season, but rarely watch live. I record and watch if they win. Sure, the Hawks are fun to watch when they are hitting their shots, but I've grown tired of the poor defense, not having decent true points guards, and Fran's sideline antics. Not to mention no Sweet 16's. That is inexcusable.

I'm not calling for Fran to be fired, but I won't shed a tear when he's gone.
I do the same. Checked the score 10 minutes into the game last night and blew the game off. Iowa BB = yawn.
Good riddens, Fran.

Reactions: 83Hawk
His teams always are.missing an attacking point guard we play team that think their steph C. But most the time bricks and air balls and no one knows how to read the ball for rebounds.

We look like an elementary team defensively and Fran doesn't care in the least.

I think we'd be much improved, period, if Patrick didn't play at all.
the way he played last night tells me his time may be up.
It looks like he is struggling mentally again. I'm not gonna bag on any person who is battling depression or anxiety issues but I don't think he is in a good place mentally. Might be time to sit him

How long will the "Lickliter Excuse" work for Fran?

If the next guy is worse than Fran, just hire another guy. ISU is a perfect example. Hire Prohm, get some results, but he has a horrible year.

They hire TJ (who I believe had a losing record the year before at UNLV) and he's already had more tourney success than Fran will ever have.

Reactions: Bierhalter
exhibit #1

Great point that hasn’t crossed my mind before.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT