ADVERTISEMENT

My rant for all the whining Hawkeye "Fans"

A stat during yesterday’s game showed ISU to be a Top Ten Defense last year. They have been a formidable Defense for a few years now.

People on here would be pissed if our D gave up 20 points in a loss. But, when we score 20 against a good Defense it is all about our Offense sucks.

Miserable F$&ks will be miserable F&$ks I guess.
We didn’t score 20 points on offense. We scored 13 points.

I mean, as a fan, aren't you happy at all that your team won? For all the people that complain non-stop, the question is what do you want?
We are basically spending 50% of these games being frustrated and immensely disappointed.

Even though we win, I am in the mindset of “Cool, we won, but that sucked and was hard to watch. Our offense sucked again! Fire Brian!”
I’m sick and tired of saying those things after a win.

We have to be one of the least exciting teams in college football. So, what do I want? I want Iowa to be fun to watch. I want our incredible consistency at being terrible on offense to disappear. We are SO bad on offense it’s almost like they don’t care about that phase of the game.

If they cared, they’d show Barnett and BF the door.

We are basically spending 50% of these games being frustrated and immensely disappointed.

Even though we win, I am in the mindset of “Cool, we won, but that sucked and was hard to watch. Our offense sucked again! Fire Brian!”

We have to be one of the least exciting teams in college football. So, what do I want? I want Iowa to be fun to watch. I want our incredible consistency at being terrible on offense to disappear. We are SO bad on offense it’s almost like they don’t care about that phase of the game.

I'm showing you the door. Bye.

Reactions: pmtdc

Pretty much exactly this.

Patterson's big run + his TD & McNamara hitting Lachey over the top for a really good gain were very awesome, but the play that really got me going was Castro's Pick6.

I will always love it when Iowa wins, but unless the D thrills with Pick6's or fumble returns for TDs, most of the wins are - for the most part - boring. Yes, boring. The offense gets an early 10 or 14 points, and then the Ferentzes 'put the car in park' by going into "protect the lead and burn clock" mode.

When it comes to high school skill position recruits, how do you watch the Iowa offense - in its current form - and think "man, I could be a real superstar in that system!" if you're not a TE?

And if you're HS offensive recruit - or general CFB or B1G fan - of any kind, how do you watch an Iowa game without yawning?

Most times if the heart rate increases at all during an Iowa game, its while agonizing over the hope that the defense can protect a lead and winning result. Not because the offense is doing anything even remotely exciting.

Last edited:
Sure I will be called names and not a true fan

The score was 10-0 when the Interception for TD occurred, not sure how that is some type of offensive performance to be proud of. 4 first downs in the second half

Having a 20-3 lead and then not trying to score and allowing the other team to have the ball with a chance to tie is some sort of brilliant strategy? Why not get another score and not have to worry about it? Is there some type of style points for winning with the least amount of points possible?

If the offense was better last year, Iowa would have won more games, that seems pretty clear. Why would a fan not want their team to score more points, and have a great defense and special teams? Iowa can have a bad offense if the other two are good?

My favorite so far is that Saban doesn't like to win National Championships this way. I guess he could have taken Ferentz's approach and prove that the rule changes to benefit offense are not fair. Instead, Saban adjusted. Granted, Iowa probably will not have the ability to recruit to that level.

Iowa has won against two bad teams, the offense is better but still really bad. Many Iowa fans think that might be an issue as they play better teams, they are just bad fans I guess.

Just for fun, here is the average points per game for the Top 20 teams from last year. Not sure they play complimentary football though

The Iowa coaches have stated that the offense needs to be better, they obtained players on the portal to attempt to improve it, not sure why a fan need to find another team if they agree with the coaches and the former AD

So 50% of the time you are immensely disappointed?

Iowa doesn't lose 50% of the time so you are saying there is something you value more than winning. You mention style and entertainment value.

You should know, by the way that not everyone has the same taste in color, food, music, or football scores. I am much more entertained by a defensive battle than a shootout.

But what any of us are entertained by has nothing to do with supporting this team. In basketball I much prefer a high scoring game to a low scoring game. But I cheered Lickliter's teams just as hard as any other. Why? First of all, I'm a Hawkeye fan. And secondly, the players deserved the support. Also, although this didn't apply to Lick's teams, I understand that there are many ways to win. This applies to all sports. Many different styles can work at a championship level. It's about who is best at their own particular style. Many fans need to get over themselves.

I would love nothing more than for KF to just come out and say, "look, we play good football. We play winning football. My players graduate and we put players into the NFL. If you're looking for something else go find another team."

Of course KF is too classy for this to ever happen. But that would one of my favorite moments of all-time!!!

Reactions: chuck285
You should stay on your Nebraska board. We don't need all your whining all the time!
How many other coaches have won 200 games? We're Iowa and have a small recruiting base. We have to play with what we get...Maybe you should be a coach at a major college and see how great you must be!!

Reactions: TRE 12

Iowa doesn't lose 50% of the time so you are saying there is something you value more than winning. You mention style and entertainment value.

You should know, by the way that not everyone has the same taste in color, food, music, or football scores. I am much more entertained by a defensive battle than a shootout.

But what any of us are entertained by has nothing to do with supporting this team. In basketball I much prefer a high scoring game to a low scoring game. But I cheered Lickliter's teams just as hard as any other. Why? First of all, I'm a Hawkeye fan. And secondly, the players deserved the support. Also, although this didn't apply to Lick's teams, I understand that there are many ways to win. This applies to all sports. Many different styles can work at a championship level. It's about who is best at their own particular style. Many fans need to get over themselves.

I would love nothing more than for KF to just come out and say, "look, we play good football. We play winning football. My players graduate and we put players into the NFL. If you're looking for something else go find another team."

Of course KF is too classy for this to ever happen. But that would one of my favorite moments of all-time!!!

I don’t think class has anything to do with Kirk saying that. It would be suicide and I doubt the university would be happy with him.

Reactions: littlez
That's cool and all, but if you want to see how a program that wins more than Iowa, and out-recruits them acts. Look at Ohio State or Michigan. Particularly Ohio State this year. They are losing their minds because the offense sucks. Forget the fact their defense may actually live up to it's promise. They know they aren't winning anything without real firepower this year. Have you not seen USC, Washington, or Oregon this year?

Iowa has no hope of beating Michigan or Penn State in the conference title game. This is the last year they have a clear path to get smashed by Ohio State, Michigan, or Penn State. Next year there are no divisions. Wisconsin will be better in year two under Fickell. Michigan State will likely be looking for another coach after this investigation.

Try this lineup up for size. Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, they aren't going to be battling for one spot. They'll be eligible for both. Now add in USC, UCLA, Washington and Oregon. Is an Iowa squad with an 80th ranked offense going to be better than any of those teams? Iowa has had it easy the past several years, as had all the West teams. Ferentz can't just play the same way and expect 8 wins. It's time to decide what Iowa is. An annual top 6 Big Ten team, or a middle tier squad battling Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern, Indiana or Minnesota to stay out of the basement.

I think you have to decided what you want to bitch about. Is it the offense this year? Is it the offense the last 2 years? Is it the fact the BF is KF's son? Those are 3 very different things. Maybe that is the problem, people can't get over stuff and move on. For me, this season is a new season with new players. Do I think that BF should have been fired? It doesn't matter because he wasn't, he is our OC no matter if you like it or not. And the good thing about a new season is that you get to start over at 0-0. Right now we are 2-0 and that is all I care about.

In the off-season is where the line is drawn right? You hate the coach or hate the OC or hate both. Then the university keeps them both. You then have a choice don't you? You can either move forward for another season like they are, or, you don't. It is really that simple. Here is an analogy: you find out your wife is cheating on you but she still wants to be married to you, you have a choice right? There are 2 choices there too, you either take her back and move forward or you don't. Just don't be the schmuck that takes her back and then throws it in her face all the time. Or be the fan that bitches all the time no matter if they do good or bad because you feel emotionally jaded.
We only have to make a choice because we had a gutless AD. No other program would have allowed us to become the laughing stock of college football

Reactions: Thunderlips71
At the very end ISU was one play away. But leading up to that we were up 2 scores. I will say I am much more surprised that Phil left Lee out on an island on that 4th down than I was that BF wanted to run on 3 downs in a row after that. To me those 3 runs were the right plays. Low risk, keep the clock running, make them use their timeouts. Best case you get a first down and the game is over. Worst case they have 70 yards to go with less than 2 minutes and no timeouts. That 3rd down was not a do-or-die play. Of course they wanted to convert there, but we see that deal all of the time by every team in college and the pros at the end of games. Holding back is not the right term, it is really more risk vs. reward.
People forget earlier, simple plays. You mention above that Iowa was up 2 scores, 20-6, but that very odd play were Cooper was right there at the iowa goalline to intercept a high looping pass when the ball careened off X's helmet. A one in a thousand thing that kept Iowa from a turnover and from still having a 20-3, three score lead.

I also did not like Iowa giving up some chunk plays during ISU's TD drive, especially a couple of runs for 10+ yards, that is a time to check for run and then rush the passer, keep them to short passes, and dont give up a quick score. I guess that part worked although the defense had them in 2nd and long. And I was hoping for a 5 man pass rush and 6 in coverage on that TD play, just my wishing but I would not seriously question Phil Parker.

But what stood out to me was how physical the hawk Dee was on that last possession where they just manhandled ISU. Hurkett made an outstanding read and rush inside that blocker. Hurkett looks like he has 20+ more pounds of pure muscle and maybe more explosive.

Reactions: sober_teacher
People forget earlier, simple plays. You mention above that Iowa was up 2 scores, 20-6, but that very odd play were Cooper was right there at the iowa goalline to intercept a high looping pass when the ball careened off X's helmet. A one in a thousand thing that kept Iowa from a turnover and from still having a 20-3, three score lead.

I also did not like Iowa giving up some chunk plays during ISU's TD drive, especially a couple of runs for 10+ yards, that is a time to check for run and then rush the passer, keep them to short passes, and dont give up a quick score. I guess that part worked although the defense had them in 2nd and long. And I was hoping for a 5 man pass rush and 6 in coverage on that TD play, just my wishing but I would not seriously question Phil Parker.

But what stood out to me was how physical the hawk Dee was on that last possession where they just manhandled ISU. Hurkett made an outstanding read and rush inside that blocker. Hurkett looks like he has 20+ more pounds of pure muscle and maybe more explosive.
That TD drive took them forever. They were being booed by their own fans. Now while I'm sure Phil wasn't crazy about actually giving up a TD, it took a 4th down pass w/great coverage and their guy just made a play. And one 1st down makes it so there's no worry on our end. But then the defense put the game to bed.

Reactions: uihawk82
Iowa's Big Ten rank in various offensive stats:
  • Total Offense: Last
  • Yards per play: Last
  • Yards per rush: Last
  • Yards per pass: 12th
  • Touchdowns: Tied for 12th
  • First downs: Last
We are absolutely spoiled on defense with Phil Parker. What Parker has done with Iowa's defense is beyond anyone's realistic expectations. We have had a top 5 caliber defense for a handful of years in a row. At worst, we still have a good defense under Phil Parker. Given we are spoiled with such a great defense, the overall win/loss record over the last handful of years is more than acceptable.

But having an amazing defense is no excuse for settling for a piss-poor offensive scheme led by the head coach's son. Any other offensive coordinator would have been fired given the results Brian's offenses have produced. This year's offense is a big improvement over last year's, but it is still arguably the worst in the Big Ten. The offense has no identity. If anything, people often say the running game is Iowa's identity, but we've only finished in the top half of the Big Ten in rushing once since Brian's been OC. We cannot run the ball. We cannot pass the ball. We cannot control the clock with our offense. We cannot ice-away by gaining a first down with our offense. Our offense has objectively been awful with Brian as OC, and even with an infusion of talent with the transfer portal, the results this year are still awful. There is no logical argument that our offensive style has helped us win games. It's insane that anyone is surprised fans are upset about a coaching staff's refusal to make a change with the offense.

That's cool and all, but if you want to see how a program that wins more than Iowa, and out-recruits them acts. Look at Ohio State or Michigan. Particularly Ohio State this year. They are losing their minds because the offense sucks. Forget the fact their defense may actually live up to it's promise. They know they aren't winning anything without real firepower this year. Have you not seen USC, Washington, or Oregon this year?

Iowa has no hope of beating Michigan or Penn State in the conference title game. This is the last year they have a clear path to get smashed by Ohio State, Michigan, or Penn State. Next year there are no divisions. Wisconsin will be better in year two under Fickell. Michigan State will likely be looking for another coach after this investigation.

Try this lineup up for size. Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, they aren't going to be battling for one spot. They'll be eligible for both. Now add in USC, UCLA, Washington and Oregon. Is an Iowa squad with an 80th ranked offense going to be better than any of those teams? Iowa has had it easy the past several years, as had all the West teams. Ferentz can't just play the same way and expect 8 wins. It's time to decide what Iowa is. An annual top 6 Big Ten team, or a middle tier squad battling Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern, Indiana or Minnesota to stay out of the basement.
Going to be interesting for sure. What a clash of styles moving forward.

We are absolutely spoiled on defense with Phil Parker. What Parker has done with Iowa's defense is beyond anyone's realistic expectations. We have had a top 5 caliber defense for a handful of years in a row. At worst, we still have a good defense under Phil Parker. Given we are spoiled with such a great defense, the overall win/loss record over the last handful of years is more than acceptable.

But having an amazing defense is no excuse for settling for a piss-poor offensive scheme led by the head coach's son. Any other offensive coordinator would have been fired given the results Brian's offenses have produced. This year's offense is a big improvement over last year's, but it is still arguably the worst in the Big Ten. The offense has no identity. If anything, people often say the running game is Iowa's identity, but we've only finished in the top half of the Big Ten in rushing once since Brian's been OC. We cannot run the ball. We cannot pass the ball. We cannot control the clock with our offense. We cannot ice-away by gaining a first down with our offense. Our offense has objectively been awful with Brian as OC, and even with an infusion of talent with the transfer portal, the results this year are still awful. There is no logical argument that our offensive style has helped us win games. It's insane that anyone is surprised fans are upset about a coaching staff's refusal to make a change with the offense.
You don’t understand. It’s complimentary football 😏.

I'd note that many "fans" never seem to want to give the opposing teams credit for making things hard for the Hawks. Part of Iowa's "lack of success" can also be attributable to good play by the opposition.

Many Iowa fans aren't so generous to acknowledge that. It doesn't mesh with the narratives that they're trying to construct.
This is true, go ahead and look back at the defensive rankings of the team we played last year, it some crazy stat of 5 or 6 teams were ranked in Top 20 NCAA defenses.

You say not everyone has the same tastes, and that there are many ways to win....but then say many fans need to "get over themselves". I can only assume (based on your posting history), that you are referring to those fans who are unhappy with the offense. Those folks have as much right to their opinion as you do. And because they think different than you doesn't make them wrong.....or less of a fan.

Iowa's offense was awful last year. That is a statistical fact. Fans have every right to be unhappy about that, and to expect better. Personally, I have seen several positives in the offense so far this season, and I think it will continue to improve. I have no complaints. But some fans still have concerns. It is their right to voice them.

I don't think it's the worst this year. Minnesota and Nebraska are pretty bad. I think it's more likely that it's in the bottom 3 or 4.

Yep. Spoiled with PP and spoiled with a ridiculously weak schedule most seasons. That'll change after this season, we'll get some combination of tOSU, Michigan, PSU, USC, Oregon every season, and probably be playing each of them 2 out of every 4 seasons. Let's see what our W/L record looks like with that pathetic offense once our SoS goes way up.

This is true, go ahead and look back at the defensive rankings of the team we played last year, it some crazy stat of 5 or 6 teams were ranked in Top 20 NCAA defenses.
The defenses look good because the offenses in the West, especially last year were all incredibly bad. Look at the quarterback play at Rutgers, Northwestern, Illinois, and of course Iowa. Wisconsin was an absolute dumpster fire at Quarterback as was Nebraska. We are the only ones that can truly overcome our offensive ineptness.

Yes, because roughly 50% of watching a game is watching our offensive phase, and it is disappointing from start to finish pretty much every week..for years now.

Even after a 20-13 win against ISU or a 24-14 win against Utah State, our lack of a decent offense leaves me with overall disappointment. It’s not fun to watch. It’s boring.

Get a ****ing offense.

Yes, because roughly 50% of watching a game is watching our offensive phase, and it is disappointing from start to finish pretty much every week..for years now.

Even after a 20-13 win against ISU or a 24-14 win against Utah State, our lack of a decent offense leaves me with overall disappointment. It’s not fun to watch. It’s boring.

Get a ****ing offense.
I see. I misunderstood what you meant by 50%.

But you still say you are left with overall disappointment after wins.

Which upholds my point that you place more value on style of play and your level of entertainment than you do on winning or simply being a supportive Hawk fan.

I alternate between feeling sorry for and being angry at these type of "fans"

I want Iowa to be the best football team they can possibly be.

Whether Kirk realizes or cares about it or not, recruits aren’t excited about playing in this offense. Especially at WR. Not getting better recruits will (and has, I would argue) bite us in the ass when we run into a team that can score on our defense and the offense has to step up and keep us in the game. Or when the schedule gets a hell of a lot tougher and the overall quality of our team will have to elevate.

What’s worse; trying to be good on offense and just failing at it, or what OP and others suggest; that this is all intentional and we’ll only ever do just enough to win games?

I always tried to remain pretty calm and logical as it relates to Hawkeye sports in general because I realize that most fans have no idea what they are talking about and are emotional, but what I am seeing right now infuriates me. Not only here, but all of my social media feeds say the same thing; blah, blah, offense sucks, blah, blah, BF needs to be fired, blah, blah, nothing new, blah, blah, I am going to stop watching, blah, blah, bullshit.

So for all of you idiots that are bitching and complaining, I really really hope you go find another team. This is because if you are not a fan of what is going on right now then you seriously are not a fan of Iowa Hawkeye football. I personally loved the game, pretty much called how it was going to go (I could dig up a post the other day that outlined it), but for those of you that don't know I will spell it out. This was a rivalry road game in a sold-out emotionally charged environment. You cannot win these games in the first quarter but you sure as hell could lose them. So this game was going to be about low-risk offense, don't turn the ball over, take advantage of the makeables, try to get a 2 or 3 score lead and then sit on the ball. And that is exactly, exactly what this team did. Sure, the WR's didn't see much action. But do you realize that ISU plays a 3-3-5 stack defense. That mean 5 defensive backs. The winning matchup is not on the edge, the winning matchup is in the middle of the field by getting the TE's on those linebackers as well as running into the 3 man front. That is it folks, it is as simple as that.

I don't give 2 shits about what our offensive ranking is. If you want to see a better picture of what this offense is capable of a better indicator is the first 2 drives of these 2 games. Going up 2 then 3 scores, then everything gets super conservative, run the clock, then get out of there. Were there plays left on the field? Of course there was. The double move was a fantastic call, low risk, high reward. Even the "interception" was a low risk, high reward play because if there was a terrible call or an interception it was much like a punt.

You know what a 3 score game does to a defense like ours that plays zone coverage on the back end? It will make the QB make throws that are in the high risk and low reward category, a place you never want your team to be. If you look at the rest of our schedule we do not face an established elite or even better than average QB. the PSU QB looks to have talent, but he is new and he hasnt seen anything in this league yet. It takes time.

This season is all about winning the B1G championship, I will say it again. Nobody gives a damn about style points or points in general. I promise you that. The season really comes down to 2 games, PSU and Wisky now. We only have to win 1 of the 2. That takes us to Indy and it is all about winning that game. Think about it, if we go into Indy undefeated and lose the championship game (like 2015) we will not be going to the CFP. If we have 1 loss and win the B1G championship game, we go to the CFP, and maybe with 2 losses.

So buckle up for a whole lot more of what you saw Saturday because this is what it is going to look like the rest of the year, and I include PSU because it is not a must-win game. If we get down in that game you may see a bit more of the playbook, but that is what it will take. If this team continues to score on their first 2 drives of the game then this team could very well go undefeated as well as have the worst offense in college football. So if you are not prepared for that then I advise you to get off the train.

One more thing, this team is offense is so much better. The oline is doing a great job pass protecting. 2 years ago I timed the pass rush for how long Petras had to throw and it was on average 2.6 seconds, less than the average NFL QB. I didn't have to time Saturday, he had all day most of the time. Cade is a great game manager, decisive and accurate (the timing will get better). Our edge guys are light years ahead of where they were last year. Patterson may be our best back, and that is awesome because Johnson is still really good and Williams runs hard, and all three can catch out of the backfield. There are so many plays that have not been run yet because they haven't had to.

Now commence more bitching I am sure.....
Spot on

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
I see. I misunderstood what you meant by 50%.

But you still say you are left with overall disappointment after wins.

Which upholds my point that you place more value on style of play and your level of entertainment than you do on winning or simply being a supportive Hawk fan.

I alternate between feeling sorry for and being angry at these type of "fans"
Why? If it's 50% offense and 50% defense and special teams and on one hand the defense and special teams year after year is such joy to watch, so well coached and always seeming to be in the right spot and the other 50% you have 2 tight ends run into each other, a QB going 12-23 for a little over 100 yards and we're kind of excited about that, and scoring 13 pts and then just shutting it down for 3 quarters no, that's just not enjoyable. If it is for you that's fine. It's not for many of us. That doesn't make us more or less of a fan.

I want Iowa to be the best football team they can possibly be.

Whether Kirk realizes or cares about it or not, recruits aren’t excited about playing in this offense. Especially at WR. Not getting better recruits will (and has, I would argue) bite us in the ass
meanwhile Iowa just got a Big Ten Champion Quarterback...
a WR from Ohio State
a WR who is the son of a former NFL WR
and a TE who played on a Big Ten Championship team

your hatred for Iowa football is clouding your ability to think.

how about this... supporting the players that we have and encouraging them.

Well...last years scoring defensive rankings

Illinois #1
Minnesota #4
Michigan #7
Kentucky #11
Wisc #17
ISU #8
3 of those team’s play in the Big Ten West. Plus Iowa. Illini had a salty defense, I’ll agree. Would you also agree that pretty much every team in the Big Ten West had very poor QB play and just poor offenses in general? Purdue being the exception at QB.

3 of those team’s play in the Big Ten West. Plus Iowa. Illini had a salty defense, I’ll agree. Would you also agree that pretty much every team in the Big Ten West had very poor QB play and just poor offenses in general? Purdue being the exception at QB.
So...those defenses only faced B1G West teams?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT