ADVERTISEMENT

My rant for all the whining Hawkeye "Fans"

I see. I misunderstood what you meant by 50%.

But you still say you are left with overall disappointment after wins.

Which upholds my point that you place more value on style of play and your level of entertainment than you do on winning or simply being a supportive Hawk fan.

I alternate between feeling sorry for and being angry at these type of "fans"
Hell, if that's what he wants, he should become a Nebraska fan. They may not win much but they are entertaining.

Reactions: F5n5
yea exactly... these dummies that hate the Hawkeye players for not scoring enough points would be happy if they were Nebraska fans... they don't win games.. but they score points.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
yea exactly... these dummies that hate the Hawkeye players for not scoring enough points would be happy if they were Nebraska fans... they don't win games.. but they score points.
Actually you need to get caught up. They don’t win games and they don’t score points. They’ve looked like iowa the past two years so far.

Reactions: littlez
I see. I misunderstood what you meant by 50%.

But you still say you are left with overall disappointment after wins.

Which upholds my point that you place more value on style of play and your level of entertainment than you do on winning or simply being a supportive Hawk fan.

I alternate between feeling sorry for and being angry at these type of "fans"
I don’t give a shit. I want to be entertained.

I’d understand the occasional season rolls around where you’re just not real good on offense, or even awful on offense, but this is an every year problem - and we retain the coaches behind these chronic shortcomings. It’s pathetic.

Actually you need to get caught up. They don’t win games and they don’t score points. They’ve looked like iowa the past two years so far.
I love how people have a selective memory. 2 years ago, warranted or not, Iowa was all the way up to #2 in the country and started 6-0. At that point, right after the PSU win, how was that not fun? Naysayers can say that we had no business being #2, and in the end they were right, but, also in the end only 1 team wins it all. 1. I loved every minute of 2015 as well, and that includes the fight they showed in the B1G game. The Rose Bowl not so much but it didn't tarnish my enjoyment that led up to that. My point is enjoy it all for what it is today, right now. This team is 2-0. We all see some improvement, we all see some struggle. Nobody is happy about the problems running the ball. But the reason we are going to watch the rest of these games is because there is always the hope that they will put it all together. For those that don't see hope or improvement, I encourage them to stop watching because it is over for them. Remember, it is all about the journey and not the destination.

I love how people have a selective memory. 2 years ago, warranted or not, Iowa was all the way up to #2 in the country and started 6-0. At that point, right after the PSU win, how was that not fun? Naysayers can say that we had no business being #2, and in the end they were right, but, also in the end only 1 team wins it all. 1. I loved every minute of 2015 as well, and that includes the fight they showed in the B1G game. The Rose Bowl not so much but it didn't tarnish my enjoyment that led up to that. My point is enjoy it all for what it is today, right now. This team is 2-0. We all see some improvement, we all see some struggle. Nobody is happy about the problems running the ball. But the reason we are going to watch the rest of these games is because there is always the hope that they will put it all together. For those that don't see hope or improvement, I encourage them to stop watching because it is over for them. Remember, it is all about the journey and not the destination.
2021 was a lot of smoke and mirrors offensively. Getting blown out by average Wisconsin and Purdue teams because Iowa can’t put up points. Being in dog fights with Colorado State, Kent State, and Northwestern. It was a good season. But significant offensive changes needed to be made in that offseason. They weren’t. And it led to Iowa’s historic offense in 2022.

And that hope always goes to shit but hey, at least they keep the same coaches around for consistency!

And that hope always goes to shit but hey, at least they keep the same coaches around for consistency!
bingo !

full fledged full on Nebraska Syndrome

too bad they didn't have a pill to fix this

see... Nebraska got tired of winning 9+ games every year (like Iowa now)
so they fired the coach
then they fired the next coach
then they fired the coach after
I lost track how many its been... but its not good
and they ain't winning 9+ every year

To be honest, we play in the Big Ten West which means we play teams that haven’t been very good recently (besides Wisconsin). Throw in a couple tomato cans in the OOC schedule and I can see how we get to that stat.

I would be curious if that stat, especially leading by 8 pts is an anomaly amongst other teams.
Stop putting thought into it, that ruins the OPs thought process.

bingo !

so they fired the coach
Tell us again how Iowa State is a very good football team.

Reactions: nelly02
bingo !

so they fired the coach
I know right? But honestly I think it is actually worse. Some guy on the "moron" post actually implied that Bill Belichick is not a very good coach because he hasn't done anything since Brady left. Now that is some rich shit right there!

• Haha
Your spew takes very little effort to skim.

Again, i wish you the best and may you find the help you need.
Makes sense as you already established that the extent of your football acumen was to look at the "Total Offense" stats (which, btw, really are just total yards) and evaluate the quality of the offense. Keep up the effort there my friend, the world needs your kind too.

Makes sense as you already established that the extent of your football acumen was to look at the "Total Offense" stats (which, btw, really are just total yards) and evaluate the quality of the offense. Keep up the effort there my friend, the world needs your kind too.
inept must be your middle name, total offense is than yds, but you keep up the good fight little buckaroo! 👏 👍 😉

Reactions: nelly02
how do you evaluate the quality of an offense?

Reactions: obfuscating
99th in 3rd conv
126th in 1st downs
115th in passing yds
100th in pass per completion
109th in rushing yds
61st red zone offense
80th time of posession.

So there you have your "other stats"

99th in 3rd conv
126th in 1st downs
115th in passing yds
100th in pass per completion
109th in rushing yds
61st red zone offense
80th time of posession.

So there you have your "other stats"
You forgot the most important stat. 2-0

I also accept that my wife may not be the prettiest or brightest or have the best bod but she's my wife and she can depend on me to always be there for her through thick and thin. Same with my Hawkeye's.... coaches and players.

meanwhile Iowa just got a Big Ten Champion Quarterback...
a WR from Ohio State
a WR who is the son of a former NFL WR
and a TE who played on a Big Ten Championship team

your hatred for Iowa football is clouding your ability to think.

how about this... supporting the players that we have and encouraging them.

Nobody hates the players.

What fans aren’t happy about is that the players on the offensive side of the ball have been being set up for failure by the offense the coaches choose to run. Yes, the staff went out and got some players. But if the staff isn’t going to utilize that talent they way they should be, all the staff is doing is selling these players snake oil.

Constantly putting all the pressure on the defense and special teams isn’t sustainable in the long term. When we play teams that are patient and willing to nickel and dime Iowa, the defense gets worn out when your offense goes 3 and out three out of every four possessions. We lose those games every time.

Good coaches know that being down by 14-17 points against Iowa at half isn’t a big deal. You have two full quarters to score 21 points and that will be enough to win the game. Make no mistake. The ISU staff out coached the Iowa staff the second half of that game. If Patterson does break that long run and ISU doesn’t throw a pick 6, ISU wins that game.

I don’t have any faith in Brian Ferentz’ ability to make offensive adjustments and score when we need it most. I don’t even have any faith that he can get a 1st down when the defense needs him to. I had far more faith in Greg Davis than I do in Brian Ferentz.

So, yes, I will continue to cheer for the players as all Hawkeye fans do. I will do so fully knowing that it’s not their fault the offensive is what it is. The blame lay at the feet of a Ferentz. I just don’t know which one. None of us really do.

meanwhile Iowa just got a Big Ten Champion Quarterback...
a WR from Ohio State
a WR who is the son of a former NFL WR
and a TE who played on a Big Ten Championship team

your hatred for Iowa football is clouding your ability to think.

how about this... supporting the players that we have and encouraging them.
And the offense is still bad. Where do you think the problem lies?

Nobody hates the players.

What fans aren’t happy about is that the players on the offensive side of the ball have been being set up for failure by the offense the coaches choose to run. Yes, the staff went out and got some players. But if the staff isn’t going to utilize that talent they way they should be, all the staff is doing is selling these players snake oil.
How are you so sure it is the coaches? And how do you know that they are setting the players up for failure? Do you ever think that the players sometimes don't execute plays, i.e. the missed throw to Anderson the other day? And how do you know that there is talent on this team that is not being utilized? The only real comparison we have is when players leave Iowa and go to another team. The only player that I can think that did better somewhere else is Charlie Jones.
Constantly putting all the pressure on the defense and special teams isn’t sustainable in the long term. When we play teams that are patient and willing to nickel and dime Iowa, the defense gets worn out when your offense goes 3 and out three out of every four possessions. We lose those games every time.
Not true. We don't always lose those games. We win most of the games and most teams are not capable of nickel and diming our defense consistently enough to win.
Good coaches know that being down by 14-17 points against Iowa at half isn’t a big deal. You have two full quarters to score 21 points and that will be enough to win the game. Make no mistake. The ISU staff out coached the Iowa staff the second half of that game. If Patterson does break that long run and ISU doesn’t throw a pick 6, ISU wins that game.
Everyone knows this stat now. The last 65 teams that got down by 8 points at any point in the game, only 2 came back to win. Being down 14-17 is a very big deal against Iowa. You can play the if game all you want, but it is what it is. There is always an opposite set of if's as well, like, if Cade connects with Anderson, if Ostrenga ran the right route, if Lee defends that pass, if Cade throw in front of Vines. You are talking about a possible 38 or 45-6 kind of game.
I don’t have any faith in Brian Ferentz’ ability to make offensive adjustments and score when we need it most. I don’t even have any faith that he can get a 1st down when the defense needs him to. I had far more faith in Greg Davis than I do in Brian Ferentz.
Greg Davis was the OC in Iowa's only undefeated regular season in any of our lifetimes. He deserves some credit for that. Not all, but some. Brian's offense has been spotty, but, when executed properly with a healthy roster and a reasonably talented QB can look very good. You can blame him and the team for the failures, like not getting a 3rd and 1 against ISU or 4th and 1 against USU, but, you have to give him credit for a 4th and goal against USU.
So, yes, I will continue to cheer for the players as all Hawkeye fans do. I will do so fully knowing that it’s not their fault the offensive is what it is. The blame lay at the feet of a Ferentz. I just don’t know which one. None of us really do.
I am glad that you are continuing to support the team. I think it is way too early to place blame on anyone, and honestly, it wouldn't do any good anyway. For me, and this is different than last year, they have shown the ability to execute and have the personnel to succeed at a high level. I have seen them so far protect the QB, I have seen them effectively and dominantly run block, I have seen the backs have the ability to take advantage of those holes, I have seen Cade make smart decisions and make all the 1st, second and third level throws, and I have seen some promise from the WR's, especially Anderson, to be a deep threat. I have also seen them not do most of those things as well. The goal is to get more efficient and be more consistent. It is just going to take more reps, communication, coaching, and dedication. We know all of that is there and I don't think even the biggest KF and BF haters can ever say that they don't put forth the effort or give up. Everyone on this team is going to keep digging until the end, I promise you that. So I think we owe them the latitude and leeway to see what they do with that.

• Haha
And the offense is still bad. Where do you think the problem lies?
I will answer that. I think the biggest obstacle so far has been the health of Cade. I think this has put the coaches in a massive predicament, that they know they have to play him to get him reps with the team and they know that 100% of their success this season is going to be dependent on him, but, they also know that he is not healthy and he needs to heal. So I think that has determined a lot of conservative play calling and limitations of the playbook. I think the attitude for these first few games is to just get in and get out.

Second, and also due to Cade's injury, is that he missed a very critical 2 weeks of practice. When you add in the fact that Anderson had also been hurt and Brown is new, that further slowed down that progress. It just takes time to gel, for everyone to be on the same page. That is again why the running game, whatever you can get at this point, and the TE's are the majority of the offense. It is safe, keeps Cade safe and hopefully him playing does not hinder his progression.

I think our running backs are talented but not elite. What I mean is that they all run hard, but, I don't think any of the 3 have great vision and none of the 3 are punishing runners as well. There have been some opportunities for, especially Johnson, to break outside after the dline crashes the middle but has neglected to do so. I am afraid that is one of those things that you either have it or you don't, but, that doesn't mean that we cannot have an effective running game.

Also speaking of injuries, there have been some nagging ones on the oline and when you add in Feth coming in late, that takes time to gel as well. I firmly believe they will only get better and I also do not think that strength and quickness are lacking at all here either. I think they just need reps together, and you only get that when you run the ball over and over and over again.

Then I think when you put all of this together and put it in a bag and shake it up, you end up with a lot of runs against loaded boxes, timing issues, missed routes, etc. That is what we are seeing. This is the basis for my debate here, that there is so much more to this than just citing stats. It really does come down to inches, a missed block or two, a missed throw or two, etc. and then everything looks totally different. I think it is a work in progress and if everyone stays healthy and Cade gets healthy, we will start seeing more and more of the playbook. I think we will see Cade audible more at the line as he reads the defense as well, which we have not seen yet at all either.

I think we would all do ourselves a favor and show a little patience and see how it plays out.

I will answer that. I think the biggest obstacle so far has been the health of Cade. I think this has put the coaches in a massive predicament, that they know they have to play him to get him reps with the team and they know that 100% of their success this season is going to be dependent on him, but, they also know that he is not healthy and he needs to heal. So I think that has determined a lot of conservative play calling and limitations of the playbook. I think the attitude for these first few games is to just get in and get out.

Second, and also due to Cade's injury, is that he missed a very critical 2 weeks of practice. When you add in the fact that Anderson had also been hurt and Brown is new, that further slowed down that progress. It just takes time to gel, for everyone to be on the same page. That is again why the running game, whatever you can get at this point, and the TE's are the majority of the offense. It is safe, keeps Cade safe and hopefully him playing does not hinder his progression.

I think our running backs are talented but not elite. What I mean is that they all run hard, but, I don't think any of the 3 have great vision and none of the 3 are punishing runners as well. There have been some opportunities for, especially Johnson, to break outside after the dline crashes the middle but has neglected to do so. I am afraid that is one of those things that you either have it or you don't, but, that doesn't mean that we cannot have an effective running game.

Also speaking of injuries, there have been some nagging ones on the oline and when you add in Feth coming in late, that takes time to gel as well. I firmly believe they will only get better and I also do not think that strength and quickness are lacking at all here either. I think they just need reps together, and you only get that when you run the ball over and over and over again.

Then I think when you put all of this together and put it in a bag and shake it up, you end up with a lot of runs against loaded boxes, timing issues, missed routes, etc. That is what we are seeing. This is the basis for my debate here, that there is so much more to this than just citing stats. It really does come down to inches, a missed block or two, a missed throw or two, etc. and then everything looks totally different. I think it is a work in progress and if everyone stays healthy and Cade gets healthy, we will start seeing more and more of the playbook. I think we will see Cade audible more at the line as he reads the defense as well, which we have not seen yet at all either.

I think we would all do ourselves a favor and show a little patience and see how it plays out.
So honestly why didn’t you say all of this in your original post? It certainly makes more sense and you’re not calling everyone out like you did.

So honestly why didn’t you say all of this in your original post? It certainly makes more sense and you’re not calling everyone out like you did.
My point was to call everyone out because I am so sick and tired of seeing everyone bitching about Brian, and his contract, or Barta, and KF being too old, and how shitty the offense is and the gloom and doom. I think there is a line between being frustrated and/or irritated by a lack of production and outright whining, pissing and moaning about stuff that doesn't matter. And no, BF's contract stipulations do not matter as it relates to the performance of this team right now. He is our OC, love it, like it or hate it.

My point was to call everyone out because I am so sick and tired of seeing everyone bitching about Brian, and his contract, or Barta, and KF being too old, and how shitty the offense is and the gloom and doom. I think there is a line between being frustrated and/or irritated by a lack of production and outright whining, pissing and moaning about stuff that doesn't matter. And no, BF's contract stipulations do not matter as it relates to the performance of this team right now. He is our OC, love it, like it or hate it.
Hate it.

You need to step back and remember that it's all just a game. It's there for entertainment purposes. You (and a few others on here) take this shit way too seriously. It's not healthy.

Reactions: PNWHawk and 83Hawk
Do we think a different coaching staff could get more out of this group of players?
Personally I don't think so, not under the same circumstances. I think we could certainly put up better offensive stats under this coaching staff as well as a different one, but, I think the consequences of that would not be worth it. That is if the goal is to win games.

I don't know if you see it much on the offensive side of the ball, but defensively you do. How many times have we seen the media blow up some defensive coordinator because he mixes up all sorts of exotic blitzes and is not afraid to play cover zero. Talk about putting your guys in bad spots. Sure, they may get a lot of sacks but then you look up the scoreboard and they gave up 35 points because they got burned 5 times.

Personally I don't think so, not under the same circumstances. I think we could certainly put up better offensive stats under this coaching staff as well as a different one, but, I think the consequences of that would not be worth it. That is if the goal is to win games.

I don't know if you see it much on the offensive side of the ball, but defensively you do. How many times have we seen the media blow up some defensive coordinator because he mixes up all sorts of exotic blitzes and is not afraid to play cover zero. Talk about putting your guys in bad spots. Sure, they may get a lot of sacks but then you look up the scoreboard and they gave up 35 points because they got burned 5 times.
I don’t know how a single person here can take you seriously after the stupidity you just posted.

Do we think a different coaching staff could get more out of this group of players?
Let's compare..

Offense has had the same coach for a while now and has achieved bottom level results, regardless of the players.

Defensive coach achieves top level results year after year regardless of the players

Phil is a master of concept, teaching the concept, game planning, and in game adjustments, and it results in execution. Brian.....not so much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT