ADVERTISEMENT

Name a common food that most restaurants should get right; yet often don't

srams21

HR Legend
Gold Member
May 23, 2004
What common, fairly easy to make food do restaurants most often get wrong?

I'll start with chicken wings. Many bar and grills or even slightly upscale places have them as entrees or at least apps. I feel like many places put them on the apps just to have them. Many times they are meh to even very bad.

You hit on the correct answer in the OP. Forty years ago at the frat house we made wings that were vastly superior to what most restaurants (including those who "specialize" in wings) make today.

Same with a Tom Collins. You don’t put f*cking grenadine in a Tom Collins.
At cool basil they topped my OF with a so much club soda it came in a 12oz cup. They also muddled a nasty cheap marichino cherry in it, although that was the least egregious thing.

Also I'll add any place that garnishes a whiskey cocktail with cheap cherries. Luxardo or GTFO.

Amazes me how places can still screw up fries. Biggest thing for me is warm and crisp, but so often they get served cold, undercooked, or burnt.
The worst are at Cane’s. When we get it I throw all the fries in the air fryer first.

Are you libeling runny ranch??
Cheap, watered down ranch?

c95be6d3-9601-43c7-9320-ee0c518a0601_text.gif

A lot of places f*** up an old fashioned as well. It's like the simplest cocktail to make.
I'm not a picky old fashioned guy, but it does include two alcohols, sugar/syrup and two kinds of fruit. It's not the simplest cocktail.

I like extra bitters in mine.

Reactions: nelly02
I'm not a picky old fashioned guy, but it does include two alcohols, sugar/syrup and two kinds of fruit. It's not the simplest cocktail.

I like extra bitters in mine.
Are you counting the bitters as alcohol?

A classic OF only uses orange peel and cherry as a garnish. I hate when people muddle them in.

Sugar (I like to make my own Demerara simple syrup)
Bitters
Spirit
Stir with ice, strain over fresh rock of ice. Express Orange Peel and garnish.

Simple and delicious.

A lot of places f*** up an old fashioned as well. It's like the simplest cocktail to make.

I watched a bartender put everything he had into making one....25 minutes later I finally got my beer.

Toast. I don’t know if I’ve had a decent piece of toast in a restaurant in 20 year. It tastes like it was roasted a week ago.

Since someone brought up cocktails... It's hard to find a decent Bloody Mary. They can range from a 6 course meal in a cup with top shelf mixings, to watered down tomato juice with a splash of vodka and an olive.

Since old fashion was already named I will say mozzarella sticks and onion rings seem to both be very hit or miss

Reactions: srams21
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT