ADVERTISEMENT

Name a common food that most restaurants should get right; yet often don't

Coleslaw is simply gross.
That's probably because you haven't had good coleslaw. In Tally, there are only about two restaurants in town that have really good coleslaw. At most places, it is either mediocre or not good.

Reactions: mnole03
It's clearly french fries.

The amount of potato farm production that get grown, harvested, transported, processed, cooked and then thrown into the trash is obscene.

People are starving in Africa.

That's probably because you haven't had good coleslaw. In Tally, there are only about two restaurants in town that have really good coleslaw. At most places, it is either mediocre or not good.
My wife (no pics) went from outraged that a BBQ place would put coleslaw on a sandwich, to outraged if they don’t have good coleslaw to put on her sandwich.

Americanised tacos. Never been able to find a single restaurant that can make them as good as I make them at home.

Of course that could just be due to personal preferences.

Anything other than maybe a steak that you order medium. Getting a pork chop with some pink in the middle at a restaurant is nearly impossible. Same with a burger too often.

Anything other than maybe a steak that you order medium. Getting a pork chop with some pink in the middle at a restaurant is nearly impossible. Same with a burger too often.

I have not been there in forever (probably 20 years) so it's possible things have changed but as I remember it this place made burgers with some pink in the middle.

I have not been there in forever (probably 20 years) so it's possible things have changed but as I remember it this place made burgers with some pink in the middle.
Well, that place is around 900 miles from me so I doubt it will be on the itinerary any time soon.

This. I never seem to find good ones anymore. I like them thin and crispy. A supper club in SE Iowa had some of the best. Now they all seem way to thick and undercooked.
I notice the same trend. It's like you take a bite and the entire onion just comes free of all the breading.

Another one that's getting to be more hit or miss for me is long Island iced tea

I'm of the opinion that you don't **** up a good bourbon by mixing it with shit. At most, I'll put one cube in my bourbon.
My best stuff is always served neat in a glencarin or aged and ore glass. Never on the rocks. But the mid range stuff is nice to use in an OF.

I also make a delightful mezcal OF. Uses agave nectar and aromatic/orange bitters.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Americanised tacos. Never been able to find a single restaurant that can make them as good as I make them at home.

Of course that could just be due to personal preferences.
Your first mistake was ordering texmex at a restaurant. Try their house specialties or street tacos. May I suggest the beef cheek if they have it.

Are you counting the bitters as alcohol?

A classic OF only uses orange peel and cherry as a garnish. I hate when people muddle them in.

Sugar (I like to make my own Demerara simple syrup)
Bitters
Spirit
Stir with ice, strain over fresh rock of ice. Express Orange Peel and garnish.

Simple and delicious.
Brandy. And you need a sweet/sour, I prefer Squirt but 7 Up is good too.

Omelettes. Sure, some places make a proper omelette, but far too many places make them on a griddle. They pour the eggs onto the hot surface, pile ingredients on top, then roll and fold until it fits on a plate. That's not an omelette.

Reactions: mnole03
My wife (no pics) went from outraged that a BBQ place would put coleslaw on a sandwich, to outraged if they don’t have good coleslaw to put on her sandwich.
Slaw on a bbq sandwich is fantastic.
GIF by Food Network

A simple chicken breast sandwich. Usually served with no flavor and/or overcooked.

I read somewhere some name chef, like a Thomas Keller type, said he judges basic restaurants by the sandwich. If they can deliver this properly cooked with some flavor, he knows their kitchen is well run. Thought that was interesting.

My best stuff is always served neat in a glencarin or aged and ore glass. Never on the rocks. But the mid range stuff is nice to use in an OF.

I also make a delightful mezcal OF. Uses agave nectar and aromatic/orange bitters.
Not a fan of Mez, but did you think about a jalapeno garnish? I had a most delish OF in Mexico, they used a hibiscus bloom, orange peel, and the garnish. Sweet and spicey and damn good.

Edit to mean a tequila OF.

Last edited:
Reactions: JWolf74
Bacon, either burned to an unrecognizable crunch or rubbery dang near raw. Medium is way too go

Brandy. And you need a sweet/sour, I prefer Squirt but 7 Up is good too.
Where are those common at for you? That's a common Wisconsin supper club thing you described, but your screen name suggests otherwise. Is the brandy sour 'old fashioned' actually found elsewhere?

Reactions: DFSNOLE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT