ADVERTISEMENT

Name a common food that most restaurants should get right; yet often don't

I notice the same trend. It's like you take a bite and the entire onion just comes free of all the breading.

Another one that's getting to be more hit or miss for me is long Island iced tea

GD! I just got a long island ice tea today and I swear people love to use way too much sour. It's like long island lemonade at that point. My GD caesar salad was over dressed too!!

What common, fairly easy to make food do restaurants most often get wrong?

I'll start with chicken wings. Many bar and grills or even slightly upscale places have them as entrees or at least apps. I feel like many places put them on the apps just to have them. Many times they are meh to even very bad.
My exact same thought when reading the thread title. And judging by how often restaurant poultry leads to food poisoning, very, very bad. Thank goodness I live in west side CR, with Union Station, Bushwoods, BWW, and Wing Stop.

Reactions: srams21
Yep. We go to supper clubs in Wisconsin fairly often and it's amazing how many of them serve soupy, watery coleslaw. Even some of the really good ones do.
I went to a Wisconsin supper club a couple of weeks ago and I would eat them monthly if I lived up there. My God.

Reactions: srams21
GD! I just got a long island ice tea today and I swear people love to use way too much sour. It's like long island lemonade at that point. My GD caesar salad was over dressed too!!

I thought a proper LIT was all the five clear liquors in equal proportion with a shot of Coke for color and a lemon slice garnish.

Sour mix?

Big batches of Cole slaw can be tricky. It breaks down on a molecular level. So when you make it it is inedible dry but an hour or two later it is runny enough. The longer you have it the runnier it gets.

If you are getting very runny Cole slaw there's a better than even chance its old. Or they added too much dressing because they don't realize how dry it needs to be at the start.

Reactions: mnole03
My wife (no pics) went from outraged that a BBQ place would put coleslaw on a sandwich, to outraged if they don’t have good coleslaw to put on her sandwich.
I resisted slaw on a pulled pork sandwich for years, but once I finally caved, I found it pretty dang good. I'm not gonna specifically ask for it, but if it comes on it, I'm not turning it down.

Last edited:
Reactions: mnole03 and DFSNOLE
I thought a proper LIT was all the five clear liquors in equal proportion with a shot of Coke for color and a lemon slice garnish.

Sour mix?
Most recipes call for freshly squeezed lemon juice. Most bars/restaurants use sour mix instead. I also do the same at home, but in different proportions.

Sam's Club used to have one of these for like $7

Not a fan of Mez, but did you think about a jalapeno garnish? I had a most delish OF in Mexico, they used a hibiscus bloom, orange peel, and the garnish. Sweet and spicey and damn good.

Edit to mean a tequila OF.
Have not. Brilliant thought. I have some smoked chili bitters that are a nice touch, but the mezcal is already pretty smoky.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT