ADVERTISEMENT

Name a crappy pizza that the locals rave about.

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
And, no, this isn't a pile on Torbee and Quad Cities style pizza thread, it's an offshoot of a thread where taco snobs (Like Torbee), were making fun of Tasty Tacos.
It amazes me to travel around the US and run into crappy pizza.
I'll nominate Imo's, and the whole St. Louis style to start things off.

Mabe's is not crappy, but it's funny to me how much the locals love it. It's fine. It's better than most small town pizza. It's better than Casey's. It's not better than OP in Waterloo. Not better than Zoey's in Marion. Not better than the better places in Iowa City/CR or central Iowa. Decorah overall is very underrated but Mabe's is overrated.

LaRosa’s is a very popular chain here in Cincinnati and it sucks.

Mabe's is not crappy, but it's funny to me how much the locals love it. It's fine. It's better than most small town pizza. It's better than Casey's. It's not better than OP in Waterloo. Not better than Zoey's in Marion. Not better than the better places in Iowa City/CR or central Iowa. Decorah overall is very underrated but Mabe's is overrated.
Gonna say the same about op. overrated.

Reactions: GOHOX69
I'll go again. Abby's Legendary Pizza. I don't know how much the locals rave about it. One night when we pulled into Bend, OR, pretty late the woman working the desk at our hotel told us it was great. We thought we were getting a real treat at some local hot spot. It was garbage. Every time we go to Oregon we see the stores. Not sure now many of them there are, but they all look like dumps from the outside.

Reactions: GOHOX69
A small place on Stone Island outside of Mazatlan, Mexico. All the locals raved about it. The wife (no pics shared) and I stopped there late one evening after the beach bars closed. Made from crappy dough, hotdogs and tomato sauce. Absolutely horrible. I guess the locals had lower expectations. We gave it away after just a few bites. I should have known better when they said it cost 80 pesos.

And, no, this isn't a pile on Torbee and Quad Cities style pizza thread, it's an offshoot of a thread where taco snobs (Like Torbee), were making fun of Tasty Tacos.
It amazes me to travel around the US and run into crappy pizza.
I'll nominate Imo's, and the whole St. Louis style to start things off.
Does St. Louis do anything well? The city is shit, their bbq is shit, their pizza is shit. All of St. Louis is a wish that it was Chicago. Fvck St. Louis

Off the subject a bit, but we love pizza and several times on vacation we would go down and ask the front desk for recommendation of a great local pizza place (this was before cell phones so we couldn’t just google) and they would tell us Pizza Hut is the best. Specifically the Outer Banks I remember being told that and thinking they were joking. We asked around and ended up at a really good local place.

Reactions: BelemNole
For our Florida friends...Pagliai's is a famous Iowa City pizza joint. But: take a Tombstone frozen pizza, put better cheese on it, and voila! Pagliai's!
Try the Grinnell location, it is fantastic. Not as good as George’s (Pella) Or Checkerboard (Pleasantville) but really good. Not as good as Wig & Pen either.

Fiori's original Pittsburgh location = a local treasure
Fiori's second location in McMurray, Pa. = an abomination. Worst pizza I've ever had, hands down. Tasteless sauce, bland mystery meat topping, plastic cheese. Never again.

Barnaby's in Tallahassee back when it was open. I never understood the appeal and people raved about it.

Reactions: runkpanole
Fongs is not a pizza place. It’s an egg roll and crab Rangoon restaurant. And it is awesome.

(Not the crab Rangoon pizza which is garbage)

Same thing with Pizza Ranch - chicken restaurant

(Not any pizza with chicken which is always garbage)

I'm not sure this constitutes as "raves about", but we were at a kids b-day part Tuesday night and heard the couple next to us say they come here often to pick up pizza on the weekends. We were at Peter Piper Pizza, mind you. The only two pizza's I find worse are Little Caesars and Chuck E. Cheese. 🤢🤮

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT