ADVERTISEMENT

Name a crappy pizza that the locals rave about.

Weird. Barnabys is pretty popular here but the pizza looks different

barnabys.13.1109.02.peponion.jpg

Apparently at some point, the majority of the Barnaby's locations changed their pizza recipe to look like the above. Meanwhile, the South Bend and Tallahassee locations kept the original recipe. So now if you want the original Barnaby's recipe you can only get it at the South Bend location.

Reactions: dgordo
Notice how no one is hating on Sioux City pizza? Bc it is legit…Jerry’s, El Fredo, Bob Roe’s. The best pizza town in Iowa, AINEC.

Notice how no one is hating on Sioux City pizza? Bc it is legit…Jerry’s, El Fredo, Bob Roe’s. The best pizza town in Iowa, AINEC.
I was going to say something snide about no one having tried it, but then I looked at the yelp/trip advisor pages for best pizza in Sioux City and I have to say most of it looks outstanding.

Reactions: CeeTeeHawk1
I’ve actually heard some people like Ohio valley pizza. I thought, this really can’t suck that much and looks can be deceiving. Nope, it really does suck that much

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I don't like Gunchie's version at all. If you hate Happy Joes, you probably have a palate of a 4 year old. QC pizza is different but calling it trash says more about you, my friend. We probably get it 3-4 times a year. Non QC style the rest of the time.
Happy Joe's is the best one on that list, which isn't saying much

Reactions: Bro D
Mabe's is not crappy, but it's funny to me how much the locals love it. It's fine. It's better than most small town pizza. It's better than Casey's. It's not better than OP in Waterloo. Not better than Zoey's in Marion. Not better than the better places in Iowa City/CR or central Iowa. Decorah overall is very underrated but Mabe's is overrated.
Did you ever visit prior to 1998?

It was a pretty good experience. Always full and very high level employees. Like most places, things have changed.
It was and it's good pizza. Maybe more of a "you had to be there" kind of disappointment. We did a lot of small town festivals and most small towns by then were starting to look old and run down. And then not Decorah. But people in Decorah seem oblivious to the fact that they live in like the ideal small town and everyone told us we had to try Mabe's. Compared to the rest of Decorah, Mabe's was a let down.

Reactions: Jerome Silberman
Happy Joes is in serious trouble; Too expensive to compete on the chain level, not good enough to be premium like Wig & Pen.
Not in the QC...it is expensive but it has its loyalists, and it's also pretty easy to find coupons for them.

It was and it's good pizza. Maybe more of a "you had to be there" kind of disappointment. We did a lot of small town festivals and most small towns by then were starting to look old and run down. And then not Decorah. But people in Decorah seem oblivious to the fact that they live in like the ideal small town and everyone told us we had to try Mabe's. Compared to the rest of Decorah, Mabe's was a let down.

That is a really apt description of Decorah, and the whole surrounding area TBH.

People say the Nighthawk in Slater has really good pizza. It’s on the high trestle bike trail.

I love all pizza including the chains, but…. It was easily the most underwhelming pizza I have had. Lots of crust and bland sauce.

Used to be able to get a family size Chicago stuffed on Tuesdays for $13. It wasnt great but man it was a lot of food for that price.
That’s why I get it every couple weeks. I create my own veggie thin. With tip it’s around 24 bucks which I get 4 meals out of. It’s not amazing, but good enough for that price.

Reactions: Ree4
Settle down junior. Our pizza sucks. Our BBQ rocks.
I almost agreed with him cause St Louis pizza was severely disappointing, but their bbq is actually pretty good.

I would vote for Imos in St. Louis, but even the locals know it's overrated. When the guy at the store asked me if I wanted provel or mozz, and I replied provel, he just stared at me blankly for a few seconds. It was at that moment, I knew I effed up.

I almost agreed with him cause St Louis pizza was severely disappointing, but their bbq is actually pretty good.

I would vote for Imos in St. Louis, but even the locals know it's overrated. When the guy at the store asked me if I wanted provel or mozz, and I replied provel, he just stared at me blankly for a few seconds. It was at that moment, I knew I effed up.

Provel is an abomination.

I haven't tried Ohio Valley pizza as I avoid most of the Midwest like a plague (I've spent substantially more time in the Left Coast, Southwest and even Mountain West than I have in traditional Big Ten country (ie not including Pennsylvania and Maryland)), but the description of it sounds absolutely horrifying. The description and pictures look like the ready to order Costco and Walmart pizza BEFORE they are cooked.

As far as worst pizza that I've actually had, hands down it is true St. Louis style with the absolutely revolting Provel processed "cheese". For those who haven't had it, it's essentially a saltine with ketchup and a slice of American "cheese food". And swapping out the Provel for actual mozzerella only lessens the pain, the other huge problem is the sickeningly sweet and ketchupy tomato sauce that they use.

Two other style I really dislike are Punxsutawney Style (which is essentially St Louis style with mozzerella ie cracker thin and crisp but with a sickening sweet sauce that tastes like ketchup) and Old Forge style (which is essentially Punxsutawney style but a little thicker and done in a rectangular tray like school pizza rather than a normal pizza round).

So far, those three (plus the thought of Ohio Valley Pizza) are the only styles I've had that I strongly dislike. All of the other styles I've tried have been decent to amazing. I'll list the styles I've had separately when I have more time.

I haven't tried Ohio Valley pizza as I avoid most of the Midwest like a plague (I've spent substantially more time in the Left Coast, Southwest and even Mountain West than I have in traditional Big Ten country (ie not including Pennsylvania and Maryland)), but the description of it sounds absolutely horrifying. The description and pictures look like the ready to order Costco and Walmart pizza BEFORE they are cooked.

As far as worst pizza that I've actually had, hands down it is true St. Louis style with the absolutely revolting Provel processed "cheese". For those who haven't had it, it's essentially a saltine with ketchup and a slice of American "cheese food". And swapping out the Provel for actual mozzerella only lessens the pain, the other huge problem is the sickeningly sweet and ketchupy tomato sauce that they use.

Two other style I really dislike are Punxsutawney Style (which is essentially St Louis style with mozzerella ie cracker thin and crisp but with a sickening sweet sauce that tastes like ketchup) and Old Forge style (which is essentially Punxsutawney style but a little thicker and done in a rectangular tray like school pizza rather than a normal pizza round).

So far, those three (plus the thought of Ohio Valley Pizza) are the only styles I've had that I strongly dislike. All of the other styles I've tried have been decent to amazing. I'll list the styles I've had separately when I have more time.
I didn't become aware of Ohio Valley style until a few yrs ago and couldn't believe it was real. Still can't. It looks like a friggin lunchable or one of those joke, facebook mom cooking vids.

Reactions: FSUTribe76

I haven't tried Ohio style, to my knowledge, but this looks pretty good to me:

image-asset.jpeg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT