ADVERTISEMENT

Name a crappy pizza that the locals rave about.

For the price point it's fine.

Mabes is the only one that comes to my mind. That shit is average for how much people talk it up.
There is no price point that I'll eat dominos. It can be free and I'll eat later. It's just gross for me

There is no price point that I'll eat dominos. It can be free and I'll eat later. It's just gross for me
The thin crust isn't bad and it has gotten better. Definitely fine for the price. We have a large team pizza lunch at work each October on a certain day, and the organizer puts it up for a vote. I was surprised Domino's won two years ago. This past year Breadeaux won (options are limited, other choices are Pizza Ranch and Caseys since Pizza Hut closed).

I cannot name just one!

H0gJh2s.jpg

Reactions: ThorneStockton
To most people, local pizza is a comfort food like Mom's meatloaf: whatever you grew up on at home tastes good, and the stuff served by others (out of town) is nasty.

In the national and regional competition for good pizza, 80% of the game is ingredient quality, and the remaining 20% is secret recipe and preparation. I find that I like any pizza style, from just about anywhere, so long as they use fresh quality ingredients.

How can you not like Happy Joe's, other than their aggressive pricing? Even if you are a just a straight cheese or pepperoni pizza guy, their crust is wonderful. Taco pizza and the one with canadian bacon and kraut is awesome.
The Taco and Nacho Joe are good.. I don't really care for anything else from there though honestly. The desert pizza is fire though

5 of those pizzas are the exact same

Lopiez is the best the QC has to offer. Sports Fans is the best QC style. I also like Van's
Gunchies is not the same. Their crust is horrible. You can actually tell from the picture. Alfano's, Antonella's 2, Lunardi's. All very good pizza. Hall of Fame out in Eldridge is pretty solid too.

Gunchies is not the same. Their crust is horrible. You can actually tell from the picture. Alfano's, Antonella's 2, Lunardi's. All very good pizza. Hall of Fame out in Eldridge is pretty solid too.
I've always wanted to try pizza from Lunardi's but haven't pulled the trigger.. every time I go there I end up just getting the lasagna lol

Omaha has a pizza place called La Casa, When I moved there that was the reco everyone gave me. It's basically just like mom used to make it. Except for mom wasn't Italian and wasn't a very good cook.
Way back in the day, Big Fred's used to be the place to go in Omaha. A few months' ago, when my sister was at the medical center, my nephew and I ate at La Casa. It wasn't horrible, but certainly not a destination place.

Glad no one was trying to be funny and say Casey’s.

Casey's pizza is identical to Wawa's subs. Ie they are both solid, mediocre versions of their food types, but both are NOWHERE as good as their fanboys pretend. In both cases they are both "surprisingly good" for gas station food because MOST (But not all, see any local gas station with a Krispy Krunchy Chicken inside it) gas station food are barely edible and sometimes are literally inedible. But at the same time compared to ALL types of pizzas and subs, they're just "okay".

This is true, although I would say that their thin crust is the best crust available from a big chain. Some might say that is a low bar to clear.
I actually like their pizza, always thin, but sticking to the OP, I’ve never heard anyone rave about Papa Murphy’s.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Barnaby's in Tallahassee back when it was open. I never understood the appeal and people raved about it.

Barnaby's in Tally wasn't local, it was a weird Florida offshoot (to my knowledge the only one in the state) of a Chicago Thin place that still has a bunch of locations in Illinois and Indiana. I liked it well enough as I don't mind the "cracker thin" crust of the Chicago-Thin/Milwaukee style. My main complaint is that they didn't have a lot of toppings, it was basically like Little Ceasar's ie just pepperoni, sausage and a handful of veggies.

And of course, the "rumor" is that Red Elephant (which I like better because they have a bigger amount of toppings) paid the Tallahassee location of Barnaby's main chef a boatload of money to steal their sauce and dough recipe. For Midwesterners, Red Elephant was a pizza place that started in nearby Dothan Alabama then spread pretty widely throughout Alabama and Florida before it eventually shrunk back to just the original location and one remaining in Tallahassee (down from 3 or 4).

Happy Joe's is in the HOF of pizza. It is fantastic, especially the Canadian bacon and sauerkraut, the combination, and the taco. Sad day when our local one closed.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Barnaby's in Tally wasn't local, it was a weird Florida offshoot (to my knowledge the only one in the state) of a Chicago Thin place that still has a bunch of locations in Illinois and Indiana. I liked it well enough as I don't mind the "cracker thin" crust of the Chicago-Thin/Milwaukee style. My main complaint is that they didn't have a lot of toppings, it was basically like Little Ceasar's ie just pepperoni, sausage and a handful of veggies.

And of course, the "rumor" is that Red Elephant (which I like better because they have a bigger amount of toppings) paid the Tallahassee location of Barnaby's main chef a boatload of money to steal their sauce and dough recipe. For Midwesterners, Red Elephant was a pizza place that started in nearby Dothan Alabama then spread pretty widely throughout Alabama and Florida before it eventually shrunk back to just the original location and one remaining in Tallahassee (down from 3 or 4).

Yeah it was like eating pizza crackers basically.

699fc2a6-954d-4a3b-93de-3d1ce1eb2f36.jpg

Happy Joe's is in the HOF of pizza. It is fantastic, especially the Canadian bacon and sauerkraut, the combination, and the taco. Sad day when our local one closed.
I wish one would open in Ankeny, I think it would slay. The one in Urbandale for carryout is too far away. Whitey's would also do very well in Ankeny.

Reactions: EasyHawk
For those railing on Pags here is fact....they clean that place....and I mean they clean it.

They have been cited for going above and beyond on restaurant cleanliness.

So, consider that next time a little...considering all the stories we have been reading here.

Reactions: Pinehawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT