ADVERTISEMENT

Name the best song ever that has just a woman's name in the title.

Does Penny Lane count? I’m counting it.

And just to make sure I’m following the rules, a pic:

shutterstock_editorial_5881079l.jpg

Lots of good songs in this thread with a female title. Since my wife's name is Shary, I have to mention Sherry by the Four Seasons.

Reactions: TheCainer
Now, that is one song I don't believe I have ever heard before.
Believe it or not, it has been around for awhile, and performed by Emmylou Harris and Dylan among others:

From Wikipedia:

Barbara Allen" is a traditional folk song once popular throughout the English speaking world. It tells how the eponymous character denies a dying man's love then dies of grief soon after his untimely death.

The song began as a Scottish ballad in the seventeenth century or earlier, before quickly spreading (both orally and in print) throughout the British Isles and later North America. Ethnomusicologists Steve Roud and Julia Bishop described it as "far and away the most widely collected song in the English language—equally popular in England, Scotland and Ireland, and with hundreds of versions collected over the years in North America." As with most folk songs, "Barbara Allen" has been published and performed under many different titles, including "The Ballet of Barbara Allen", "Barbara Allen's Cruelty", "Barbarous Ellen", "Edelin", "Hard Hearted Barbary Ellen", "Sad Ballet Of Little Johnnie Green", "Sir John Graham", "Bonny Barbara Allan", "Barbry Allen" among others

Believe it or not, it has been around for awhile, and performed by Emmylou Harris and Dylan among others:

From Wikipedia:

Barbara Allen" is a traditional folk song once popular throughout the English speaking world. It tells how the eponymous character denies a dying man's love then dies of grief soon after his untimely death.

The song began as a Scottish ballad in the seventeenth century or earlier, before quickly spreading (both orally and in print) throughout the British Isles and later North America. Ethnomusicologists Steve Roud and Julia Bishop described it as "far and away the most widely collected song in the English language—equally popular in England, Scotland and Ireland, and with hundreds of versions collected over the years in North America." As with most folk songs, "Barbara Allen" has been published and performed under many different titles, including "The Ballet of Barbara Allen", "Barbara Allen's Cruelty", "Barbarous Ellen", "Edelin", "Hard Hearted Barbary Ellen", "Sad Ballet Of Little Johnnie Green", "Sir John Graham", "Bonny Barbara Allan", "Barbry Allen" among others
It is a great song.

It kind of reminds me of another song I have recently become familiar with; a Kinks song, which I believe they never released as a single but it appeared on their Greatest Hits album. Celluloid Heroes. I really like this one.

Reactions: Tunadog
It is a great song.

It kind of reminds me of another song I have recently become familiar with; a Kinks song, which I believe they never released as a single but it appeared on their Greatest Hits album. Celluloid Heroes. I really like this one.

I guess we are even; I had never heard that one before. It is actually quite a beautiful song.

Lots of the great ones like Jolene, Roxanne, Melissa and Jessica have already been used up. And those are so classic I don’t have to put the band with them.

So I’ll contribute Ana Ng by They Might Be Giants

And Jane by The Barenaked Ladies

Dinah is my favorite. Louis Armstrong or Louis Prima version either one.

Many good ones already mentioned.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT