ADVERTISEMENT

NC State radio announcer indefinitely suspended after 'illegal aliens' remark during Mayo Bowl broadcast

I did not defend his comments. I am against the reaction. His comment was stupid and didn't make sense and was in bad taste.

But it was not factually wrong. It was not overtly offensive.

I am not on board with protecting illegal immigrants so much that mentioning them can get you fired. This seems like a slippery slope.

So you think what he said was wrong but you don’t want his employer to impose any discipline?

(He hasn’t been fired. He’s been suspended).

And it’s not “protecting” illegal immigrants - it’s an inappropriate comment for a football announcer to make, just like if he called someone a homo, or said the sideline reporter has a great ass.

Context matters.

The American left the last 10 years: It’s perfectly fine for athletes and announcers to speak about politics. They have a huge platform and they should be able to use that to reach people about important issues.

The American left after an announcers states a fact regarding a present day news story: Leave politics out of sports. He should be fired immediately.

This just highlights the hypocrisy of the left.
No, it highlights your bigotry and lack of intelligence.

So, let me get this straight. In one post, you have the gumption to ask me what it is you're defending and then you follow that up by posting garbage like this?

Lol. You're not clever and obviously not a serious adult. Thank you for letting me know you're just a troll and not worth engaging.

Certain
Who said it hurt anyone? If the guy isn’t smart enough to know that in that job you can’t casually make a pointed political statement on a third-rail political issue, he’s too stupid to have the job.
what political statement did he make? I keep listening to it and still haven’t heard it.

Not in North Carolina, which is where he was broadcasting from 🙄
This is the key point. If he was calling the Sun Bowl in El Paso, TX, it was a flippant, callous, but factually somewhat accurate comment. But why in the world would you say that when covering the Mayo Bowl being held in Charlotte, NC???

Reactions: torbee
Typical behavior from a spousal abuser though.
You are the second person to state he abuses his wife. Do you guys actually know him in real life?

That would really explain his behavior on here. Yikes.

Too many moronic people gone mad. He makes a factual statement and gets suspended from his job, just plain dumb.

Carry on, I’m sure there are many more things for you get outraged about.

Reactions: standiego
Too many moronic people gone mad. He makes a factual statement and gets suspended from his job, just plain dumb.

You sound like the only outraged person posting in this thread. Most of the rest of us are shrugging our shoulders and saying “damn, what an idiot” for the guy being so obtuse.

This is the key point. If he was calling the Sun Bowl in El Paso, it was a flippant, callous, but factually somewhat accurate comment. But why in the world would you say that when covering the Mayo Bowl being held in Charlotte, NC???
He clearly was attempting to inject his personal feelings into the situation and as mentioned before, doing it during a college football broadcast was not the time or place for it.

No, it highlights your bigotry and lack of intelligence.

So, let me get this straight. In one post, you have the gumption to ask me what it is you're defending and then you follow that up by posting garbage like this?

Lol. You're not clever and obviously not a serious adult. Thank you for letting me know you're just a troll and not worth engaging.

Bigotry?

Why would say that?

But why say it? It has absolutely nothing to do with the game, the bowl, the players, the teams, the location, the region, college football, or even sports in general.

Would you get some type of discipline from your employer if you went around saying that?

Try to be better.
That's rich in irony.

FTR, I'm not in favor of illegal immigration, but I also recognize most of the people who are desperate enough to try to get into this country are human beings who deserve to be viewed as such. The whole situation is unfortunate, and I respect the fact conservatives want law and order on the border, as I believe the position is justified, but I am tired of people like you talking about illegal immigrants as if they are less than human.

It's you and Northern who need to be better. Shame on both of you. And if either of you claim to be Christian, you really do need to examine your hearts.

I have a cousin that lives in El Paso and he says he is moving the family due to it not being safe anymore.

So while the announcer may have been correct in what he said, I think he is 100% wrong to say anything political, ever, in that position. He is in the wrong. He should be fired as far as I am concerned.

Sports as a whole should be a place to go where political beliefs are left out.

Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Derek Jeter, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Wayne Gretzky…there are SOOOOo many more former superstars who did the right thing. They shut up about politics. They all had/have political beliefs. Everyone does.

But they realized that as good and as powerful and as influential as they were to their fans, it was not their job to push their political beliefs upon their fans.

Unfortunately, the NFL and especially the NBA have openly embraced politics

That's rich in irony.

FTR, I'm not in favor of illegal immigration, but I also recognize most of the people who are desperate enough to try to get into this country are human beings who deserve to be viewed as such. The whole situation is unfortunate, and I respect the fact conservatives want law and order on the border, as I believe the position is justified, but I am tired of people like you talking about illegal immigrants as if they are less than human.

It's you and Northern who need to be better. Shame on both of you. And if either of you claim to be Christian, you really do need to examine your hearts.

When did I talk "about illegal immigrants as if they are less than human."

Please dont make false allegations.

Reactions: EZ2BJZ
When did I talk "about illegal immigrants as if they are less than human."

Please dont make false allegations.
Fair enough. My apologies. I read your post in haste.

I actually agree the border is a problem and needs to be addressed better than what the current administration has. My only issue is with people who talk about illegal immigrants as if they are loathsome and disgusting. Most aren't.

El Paso faced a ‘major surge in illegal crossings’ over the weekend, senior border official says​

You'll never get how about everything you post just reveals you to be a programmed zombie.

Same with NC St announcer guy. Puppets on a string.

Fair enough. My apologies. I read your post in haste.

I actually agree the border is a problem and needs to be addressed better than what the current administration has. My only issue is with people who talk about illegal immigrants as if they are loathsome and disgusting. Most aren't.

Thanks for the apology.

I would like to add though that no one in this thread has talked "about illegal immigrants as if they are loathsome and disgusting."

Reactions: Hawk_82
Unfortunately, the NFL and especially the NBA have openly embraced politics
What the announcer said yesterday was wrong as I mentioned earlier, but your point here is quite true and neither league should be doing this and no justification for it.

Keep freaking politics out of sports.

• Love
Reactions: Footbol and bobb22
Cougar63 said:
“Let’s go to New York with all the Jews”

Come on guys. You need to quit posting crap like the above.
The groups above aren't violating U.S. law and they aren't a current news story that is capturing national attention.

Try to be better.

Do you feel the comment was appropriate?

And it’s not a violation of US law to come here and claim asylum. It’s protected by multiple Senate approved treaties we’ve signed, the Refugee Act, and the thousands of pages in the INA.

Just ask @NorthernHawk for the specific cite.

Politics has been interjected into sports for a long time. The question really is are you offended when you agree with the comments made, or just offended when you disagree.
Offended or not offended doesn’t matter here. This guy was dumb. As would be a broadcaster if he were in South Florida and said “here surrounded by unhinged MAGAs.”

That hypothetical guy should also be fired for being too stupid to have the job.

Cougar63 said:
“Let’s go to New York with all the Jews”

Come on guys. You need to quit posting crap like the above.
The groups above aren't violating U.S. law and they aren't a current news story that is capturing national attention.

Try to be better.
Yeah, because everyone knows the Jews have had a great reputation within conservative talking points.

The people he’s trying to talk about are human beings trying to better themselves and their families. Calling them “aliens” is an attempt to dehumanize them, just like saying the south and Central American countries are sending their rapists and murderers.

Of all people, I would think you would understand that language is powerful in shaping narratives.

Do you feel the comment was appropriate?

And it’s not a violation of US law to come here and claim asylum. It’s protected by multiple Senate approved treaties we’ve signed, the Refugee Act, and the thousands of pages in the INA.

Just ask @NorthernHawk for the specific cite.

A government official was quoted earlier in this thread as saying a "major surge in illegal crossings".

Offended or not offended doesn’t matter here. This guy was dumb. As would be a broadcaster if he were in South Florida and said “here surrounded by unhinged MAGAs.”

That hypothetical guy should also be fired for being too stupid to have the job.
Boy you sure don't miss a chance to express your hatred of this country. Any chance you sliding your bias into every job you've had is part of the reason you've been unable to maintain employment?

It was stupid that the announcer said it. It's even worse that he is in a position to accurately say it because El Paso has been over run by illegals.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT