ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Baseball Tournament

Mar 14, 2003
BaG really laying an egg so far. Indiana proving again their rpi is not indicative of who they are. No major upsets yet...

Stanford/Wright St had a hell of a game on 13 innings last night.

Looks like Purdue is going to get the job done today in an elimination game. Ohio State and UNC-Wilmington in extras in an elimination game.

WOW....no replay, so call stands. That runner was safe and OSU should be going home. I've become really annoyed with Ohio State and Greg Beals.
do you think instant replay will ever come to college baseball, especially during the NCAA tournament? maybe have a format similar to MLB, where you get one challenge and the decision is made at a central place?

do you think instant replay will ever come to college baseball, especially during the NCAA tournament? maybe have a format similar to MLB, where you get one challenge and the decision is made at a central place?

Something needs to be in place. There are way too many bad/missed calls in college baseball. I'd argue that baseball more so than any sport needs it because one call can literally decide the game.

FSU pitcher throws eight shutout innings against Mississippi State, 109 pitches as well. Then there is a 2+ hour rain delay. Now it looks like they are going to bring him back in. That is almost unheard of.

FSU pitcher with 132 pitchers....

walks two then Mississippi State hits a walk-off 3 run HR

FSU goes 2 and Q in their home regional

It already has. For the past several years it was allowed only for the SuperRegionals and the College World Series.
There was a call reversed at the CWS a couple years ago for Coastal Carolina.

Beginning last spring The NCAA approved it's use during the regular season. The problem is, not every conference/every venue has the capability to do it.

It already has. For the past several years it was allowed only for the SuperRegionals and the College World Series.
There was a call reversed at the CWS a couple years ago for Coastal Carolina.

Beginning last spring The NCAA approved it's use during the regular season. The problem is, not every conference/every venue has the capability to do it.

They just said during the OSU/UNCW game that NCAA does not have replay.

UNC-Wilmington walks off Ohio State 4-3. tOSU is 2 and done. Rightfully so though, UNCW won this game earlier had it not been for a bad call.

The NCAA will not mandate it, because then they would be responsible for paying for it. The financial obligation would be huge.

I don't know how old you are, or your background, but if you play any sport you can (and can't) make that argument.

Both Ohio State and UNCW had a combined 24 LOB. Both teams made some mistakes on the base paths and in the field that would have opened the game up in their favor.

I have participated in several different sports in different capacities and at every level (both amateur and professional) and can count on one hand the number of times that only one call/one play cost a team the game.

Sticking just with baseball---On regular occasion I witness subpar umpiring at games well before the playoffs.

The reality is this: In any given contest there are likely to be incorrect calls that will go against you. There are also going to be incorrect calls that will be in favor of you. As a player/team, you have to overcome them when you get shortchanged. UNCW did that.

The reality is this: While the technology exists to help make sure incorrect calls are changed, right now there is not a financially viable way for the NCAA to set it up to cover locations at nearly 300 Division I Baseball locations. Right now it is not even much of a priority.

You made a reasonable suggestion to install it at conference tournaments and each round of the postseason afterward. That would still require a significant amount of investment in equipment, time and manpower. Until the coaches organize and make it a priority amongst themselves, the NCAA isn't going to likely do more than it already has.

Reactions: 2bagger22
I don't know how old you are, or your background, but if you play any sport you can (and can't) make that argument.

Both Ohio State and UNCW had a combined 24 LOB. Both teams made some mistakes on the base paths and in the field that would have opened the game up in their favor.

I have participated in several different sports in different capacities and at every level (both amateur and professional) and can count on one hand the number of times that only one call/one play cost a team the game.

Sticking just with baseball---On regular occasion I witness subpar umpiring at games well before the playoffs.

The reality is this: In any given contest there are likely to be incorrect calls that will go against you. There are also going to be incorrect calls that will be in favor of you. As a player/team, you have to overcome them when you get shortchanged. UNCW did that.

The reality is this: While the technology exists to help make sure incorrect calls are changed, right now there is not a financially viable way for the NCAA to set it up to cover locations at nearly 300 Division I Baseball locations. Right now it is not even much of a priority.

You made a reasonable suggestion to install it at conference tournaments and each round of the postseason afterward. That would still require a significant amount of investment in equipment, time and manpower. Until the coaches organize and make it a priority amongst themselves, the NCAA isn't going to likely do more than it already has.

I get your point and what you are saying. I just find it incredibly frustrating. I think it would be a priority in the post-season at the very least.

In other news, I find ESPN's whiparound coverage incredibly awful. They need to at least broadcast this thing on ESPN2, ESPNU, and ESPN News. I have a strong interest in the SLU/Ole Miss game as a whole.

Reactions: BDJHawk
Indiana beats A&M 9-7. They held on. Now they have to beat Texas twice. Purdue was eliminated by Houston.

Side note. I an sort of pulling for Tennessee Tech and Stetson.

Five games today all at noon. Believe they are all due to rain delays minus Oklahoma/Miss State which is winner take the regional. The other four games would be DH if the losers bracket team wins.

Mississippi State comes back in the losers bracket and takes down Oklahoma in the Tallahassee regional.

Tennessee Tech beat Ole Miss forcing a winner take all game.

Duke beat Georgia forcing a winner take all. Duke currently up 6-3 in the 2nd game.

Two national seeds battling for their tournament life tonight.

Duke wins the Athens,GA regional. Duke has been pretty solid off and on, but their is the first time they've won a regional in over 60 years.

Florida Atlantic forces a winner take all game against Florida. Just started. It's going to be a late night in Gainesville.

Minnesota's first super regional ever.
They won their 1st regional since 1977. The No. 14 national seed Minnesota (44-13) will play in its first ever Super Regional (Teams advanced straight to the College World Series straight from the Regional in 1977)

Minnesota College World Series Record

5 appearances:
* 1956 (National Champions)
* 1960 (National Champions)
* 1964 (National Champions)
* 1973 (Third Place)
* 1977 (Sixth Place)

3 championships,

17-7 overall record

1956 National Champions
minn-m-basebl-1956-team-champs.jpg

1960 National Championship team

1960-siebert-erickson.jpg

1960-cws.jpg

1964 National Champions

1964-teamandbanner.jpg

Last edited:
SUPER REGIONAL BRACKETS

Auburn (42-21) at Florida (45-18)

Duke (44-16) at Texas Tech (42-17)

South Carolina (36-24) at Arkansas (42-18)

Tennessee Tech (52-10) at Texas (40-20)

Washington (33-23) at Cal State-Fullerton (35-23)

Mississippi State (35-26) at Vanderbilt (34-25)

Stetson (48-11) at North Carolina (41-18)

Minnesota (44-13) at Oregon State (47-10-1)

I wonder if mize will start game two? He did at regionals.

That was coming out of the SEC Tournament in order to give him an extra day of rest. He threw last Saturday. Game 1 of the Supers is this Saturday. He will have had a full week in between starts.

You want your best vs. their best.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT