ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA has charged Bill Self with THREE Level 1 (most serious) Violations, alleging he was in on Adidas' Scheme

Sampson's violations at Indiana are quaint compared to UNC and Kansas. He sent text messages to potential recruits and lied to the NCAA about it. OMG!

As I've stated before, with the NIL, this is only going to get worse. The coaches have to be yukking it up knowing now that they can do out in the open what they had to keep secret before and the NCAA can't touch them. Not even sure what purpose the NCAA will serve at this point. I guess they can still schedule conventions where their administrators can wine and dine and talk about what a great job they're doing.

Last edited:
The sad part of it is if a non-blue blood school and coach ever tried going the route of cheating, the NCAA wouldn't hesitate a second to investigate that school and level sanctions for it. In fact, wouldn't be surprised Self would be one of the people who would contact the NCAA about it.

Reactions: IAGuy
BTW, has the President at Kansas weighed in at all on this?

The announcement of the lifetime contract extension was one year ago yesterday & was made by KU Chancellor Douglas Girod.

The photo below is of Self, pen in hand, sitting with interim athletic director Kurt Watson with the contract on the table in front of them.

In the press release from the KU Chancellor:

"I want to extend my sincere appreciation to Chancellor Girod, Kurt Watson and the rest of the leadership at KU for their belief and faith in me to provide this lifetime contract. Every day, I am reminded just how fortunate I am to lead this storied program and there truly is no place else I would rather be." --Bill Self

Reactions: Hawk_4shur

Bill Self on NCAA ruling: "I do believe the end is soon."

Jack Pilgrim
April 2, 2022

Bill Self and the No. 1 seed Kansas Jayhawks are set to compete for a spot in the NCAA championship game Saturday evening, taking on No. 2 seed Villanova in the Final Four. No matter how tonight’s matchup and potentially the title game go, though, the Jayhawks have a dark cloud waiting for them in Lawrence.

The NCAA hit Kansas with five Level I violations back in September 2019, including lack of institutional control and head coach responsibility charges. They are violations that could lead to scholarship reductions, postseason bans and suspensions, among other penalties.

Despite the glitz and glamour that comes with making it to the Final Four, Self was asked about the anticipated penalties leading up to Kansas’ game against Villanova. While he can’t comment on any specifics publicly, Self did say he expected a final decision one way or another.

“Well, I can’t comment on anything that’s ongoing with the case about anything, but I do hope that the end is soon,” Self said. “I believe we’re getting closer. And I know that no one probably from any party has wanted this to go as long as it has. But I do believe that the end is soon.”

The NCAA alleges Kansas committed “egregious” and “severe rules violations,” while Self and his staff “embraced, welcomed and encouraged” cheating from Adidas representatives to push blue-chip prospects to sign with the Jayhawks.

Kansas and its coaches have disputed all five Level I violations, adding that the NCAA’s accusations are “simply baseless and littered with false representations.”

“The NCAA enforcement staff’s reply does not in any way change the University of Kansas’ position that the allegations brought against our men’s basketball program are simply baseless and littered with false representations,” Kansas officials wrote in a statement back in 2020. “As the federal trial proved, Adidas employees intentionally concealed impermissible payments from the University and its coaching staff. The University has never denied these impermissible payments were made. For the NCAA enforcement staff to allege that the University should be held responsible for these payments is a distortion of the facts and a gross misapplication of NCAA Bylaws and case precedent.”

Kansas’ initial Notice of Allegations was sent out over two and a half years ago, with still no clear answer on a final verdict with incoming penalties. It’s an issue all schools with major NCAA violations have dealt with over the years, one that has caught the recent attention of politicians.

Sports Illustrated’s Ross Dellenger reported March 29 that two US senators are proposing a new bipartisan bill — the NCAA Accountability Act of 2021 — to attack these issues. Tennessee senator Marsha Blackburn (R) and New Jersey senator Cory Booker (D) are introducing the bill, one that “establishes strict requirements of the long-maligned NCAA infractions process, overhauling the operation by involving the Department of Justice and the U.S. attorney general.”

In short, the senators want these years-long investigations to wrap up sooner, with deadlines set up to expedite the processes. Among the details of the bill:

• NCAA inquiries must be completed within eight months of the opening of an investigation
  • The NCAA cannot investigate violations over two years prior to notice of an investigation (the current statute of limitations is four years)
  • No “confidential sources” as evidence
  • A school can appeal punishments by using a three-arbiter panel
There’s pressure on the NCAA to act fast, and Kansas might be next in line to take a (deserved) hit.

Just a reminder of the program that is favored to win this year's NCAA Tournament.

Feb 26 Story from USA Today:

NCAA faces potentially embarrassing scenario of under-investigation Kansas winning title
Dan Wolken
USA TODAY
February 26, 2020

Remember, the NCAA last September delivered a Notice of Allegations to Kansas that ranks among the most scathing documents ever produced by its enforcement division. The thrust of the NCAA’s case is that ex-Adidas marketing executive Jim Gatto and a bag man named T.J. Gassnola funneled cash to multiple prospects under the guise of recruiting them to Kansas.

And in a dramatic departure from the way it often handles high-profile coaches, the NCAA went directly after Self in the strongest possible terms and charged him with three Level 1 (most serious) violations, alleging that he was in on the scheme in some cases and actively encouraged Gassnola’s help in securing top players.

It’s impossible to read the NCAA’s litany of charges and come to any conclusion other than it wants to run Self, a national championship coach and surefire Hall of Famer, all the way out of the sport. And yet the response from Kansas can pretty much be summed up like this: “Oh yeah? Make me.”

While Kansas has not yet made public its official rebuttal to the NCAA, which is a key part of the process that precedes a date with the Committee on Infractions, it indicated in an initial statement that it disputes the NCAA’s fundamental theory that Adidas and Gassnola should be classified as Kansas boosters who broke NCAA rules. Kansas also rejected the assertion that Self did anything wrong and has done nothing to indicate it will do anything but stand by him. Over the last five months, Kansas has essentially made defiance a strategy.

And maybe, at least from a short-term results standpoint, it’s a good one. The Jayhawks have lost just three times this year: By two points to Duke, by one to Villanova and by 12 to No. 2-ranked Baylor, a loss it avenged last weekend in Waco. The Ken Pomeroy efficiency ratings say Kansas is the best in the country and the only one ranked among the best seven teams on both offense and defense. And in a year where most of the top draft picks won’t be playing in March, Kansas is loaded with upperclassmen who are also borderline NBA players, which has become the most effective formula for building a team to go deep in March.

At this moment, it’s simply obvious: No team is more likely to win a national title this year than Kansas.

Nobody knows what lies beyond that, and the ultimate resolution won’t come for months and months, perhaps even bleeding into the 2020-21 season. But if Self is hoisting the trophy on a confetti-splashed stage April 6 in Atlanta, it will be impossible to escape the image of a triumphant cheater getting the best of the NCAA’s feeble bureaucracy once again.

LINK: https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...sas-wins-college-basketball-title/4871808002/

The story in the orig post was from Feb 26, 2020. Kansas was the favorite to win the 2020 National Championship. 15 days later, however, on March 12, 2020, postseason basketball was canceled because of the pandemic.

Ironically, this passage then applies now:

if Self is hoisting the trophy on a confetti-splashed stage April 6 in Atlanta, it will be impossible to escape the image of a triumphant cheater getting the best of the NCAA’s feeble bureaucracy once again.

Reactions: Ronman
If he’s such a great coach, why does he need to cheat?

:)

55673209.jpg

If there are any respectable universities left who are actually concerned about the corruption in today's college basketball game, then they should join together in a class action lawsuit and sue the NCAA for nonperformance and breach of contract. They clearly are not carrying out and executing effectively their stated primary mission.

If there are any respectable universities left who are actually concerned about the corruption in today's college basketball game, then they should join together in a class action lawsuit and sue the NCAA for nonperformance and breach of contract. They clearly are not carrying out and executing effectively their stated primary mission.

If the FBI cannot take Kansas and Bill Self down, will anything? Ever?

And this is why I did not watch one second of last night's game.

What a joke as the toothless NCAA hands over the Championship trophy to a bunch of cheaters.

e91bec40-b499-11ec-af1a-f2003914cf08

Reactions: IAGuy
It wouldn't make any difference. Kansas is one of the dirtiest programs among the majors, has been for decades. I could be wrong -- no, really, it happens -- but I think every time KU has made the Final Four, it was either on probation or was subsequently put on probation. This year probably won't be an exception. But the Beakers always escape really serious penalties.

• Haha
Reactions: IAGuy and David1979
It wouldn't make any difference. Kansas is one of the dirtiest programs among the majors, has been for decades. I could be wrong -- no, really, it happens -- but I think every time KU has made the Final Four, it was either on probation or was subsequently put on probation. This year probably won't be an exception. But the Beakers always escape really serious penalties.
If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying as the saying goes. But it's true to a great extent.

Pretty much if you aren't willing to play outside the lines, you aren't going to win at a high level.

Reactions: littlez
I am jealous of their success in the NCAA tournament but I absolutely do NOT want to be like Kansas in any way. Slime balls!
Agreed. Say what you will about Iowa but both football and basketball seem to run pretty clean programs. There's a lot to be said for that and I'll forego a national championship to not have a cheating program.

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
Agreed. Say what you will about Iowa but both football and basketball seem to run pretty clean programs. There's a lot to be said for that and I'll forego a national championship to not have a cheating program.
And this has pretty much been my stance for the last decade or so.... What is notable about Auburns natty? The fact that they bought Cam... What is notable about UNC's basketball? They pretty much had no show classes through out an entire dept. What is the black cloud hanging over Kansas? a massive FBI bribery scandal. And the list goes on and on.. While some things I feel are unacceptable( perceived and unfounded racism, and nepotism); IF that's the worst of it, Then Iowa has seen a good ROI.

Reactions: longliveCS40
This is just false.

So you just want the NCAA to be selective in which cheating they look at? Got it…..
This is a basketball forum discussing one of the teams involved in an NCAA basketball cheating scandal. A trans swimming athlete is irrelevant to the conversation as I said previously...

Take your stupid outrage to the OT board. It's been discussed a million times over there.

This is a basketball forum discussing one of the teams involved in an NCAA basketball cheating scandal. A trans swimming athlete is irrelevant to the conversation as I said previously...

Take your stupid outrage to the OT board. It's been discussed a million times over there.
You must have a different definition of “outrage” than I do….. I’ll try to be more gentle in the future.

Reactions: 3ZSDAD
So you just want the NCAA to be selective in which cheating they look at? Got it…..
The NCAA isn't going to look into it because Lia Thomas did not break an NCAA rule as far as I'm aware. Now you can argue whether or not that rule should exist (this is not the place for that and I won't engage in that) but that's completely different than Kansas breaking NCAA rules. That's not being selective in what "cheating" they're looking into.

The NCAA isn't going to look into it because Lia Thomas did not break an NCAA rule as far as I'm aware. Now you can argue whether or not that rule should exist (this is not the place for that and I won't engage in that) but that's completely different than Kansas breaking NCAA rules. That's not being selective in what "cheating" they're looking into.
“She/He” didn’t break a rule …… according to the NCAA only because they chickened out and passed it down to the individual sport. Eventually this will end up at the Supreme Court.

Reactions: 3ZSDAD
Even Kirk alluded to the problem of money in college athletics and the creation of a "championship" class, with all other schools on the outside looking in.

Hope the ncaa throws the book @ the (wrong) Hawks.
Knowing there Fowl Birds like I do chances are will get only a slap on the hand.
How did the ncaa address the Tar Heel academic scandal👎

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT