ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska And Hoiberg Completely New Roster

Next year it will be S. Frost and all his transfers. Maybe he'll get lucky and no football:(

Everybody is transferring out and leaving Fred.
A lot of guys that won't plan next season are transferring. Mack being the only one that would have played, but he had trouble following the rules.

Thor and Ouondraogo will return and play. The three sit out transfers (Banton, Stevenson, Walker) will all play a lot if not start. Fred landed Wisc transfer Kobe King, grad transfer Kobe Webster, and top 10 ranked JUCO's Teddy Allen and Lat Mayen.

5 of the top 9 guys that will play next season will have been in Lincoln in Fred's system for a year+. The team will be longer, deeper, and have more experience then last seasons roster.

Fred also landed #2 ranked sit out transfer Trey McGowen from Pitt. Nebrasketball is bringing in way more talent then they lost in guys like Mack, Green, Burke, etc.

A lot of guys that won't plan next season are transferring. Mack being the only one that would have played, but he had trouble following the rules.

Thor and Ouondraogo will return and play. The three sit out transfers (Banton, Stevenson, Walker) will all play a lot if not start. Fred landed Wisc transfer Kobe King, grad transfer Kobe Webster, and top 10 ranked JUCO's Teddy Allen and Lat Mayen.

5 of the top 9 guys that will play next season will have been in Lincoln in Fred's system for a year+. The team will be longer, deeper, and have more experience that last seasons roster.

Fred also landed #2 ranked sit out transfer Trey McGowen from Pitt. Nebrasketball is bringing in way more talent then they lost in guys like Mack, Green, Burke, etc.
That's what has been said about NE for years.

That's what has been said about NE for years.
Sorry no. Neb has not brought in this much talent that has D1 experience. Fred and staff are clearly recruiting at a higher level than Miles and previous staffs. Next season they need to prove it on the court.

Nebraska fans always obsessing over some big star recruits coming in to save the day....and always ending up disappointed.

Face it, Nebraska fans, you have 1-star coaches. Hoiberg and Frost had plenty of talent last year....they should have done much better.

So Nebraska fans, keep on absorbing the daily doses of big-red delusional thoughts from Omaha World Herald...
that lead to the unrealistic expectations.

Nebraska fans always obsessing over some big star recruits coming in to save the day....and always ending up disappointed.

Face it, Nebraska fans, you have 1-star coaches. Hoiberg and Frost had plenty of talent last year....they should have done much better.

So Nebraska fans, keep on absorbing the daily doses of big-red delusional thoughts from Omaha World Herald...
that lead to the unrealistic expectations.
Lol...that was yr 1 for Fred. Nobody expected much the first season. Give him a few more yrs before declaring him a 1-star coach. Esp considering what he did at Iowa St.

Sorry no. Neb has not brought in this much talent that has D1 experience. Fred and staff are clearly recruiting at a higher level than Miles and previous staffs. Next season they need to prove it on the court.
You mean playing the transfer game better.

Reactions: WestIAHawk
As a Hawkeye fan I hate to see it...but Fred appears to be a much better college coach than he was a pro coach. He did it at ISU, which doesn't guarantee success at Nebraska but it seems probable. He does it with the unorthadox method by getting all of these transfers in....and I think a skill he must have taken from the NBA is getting all of these individuals to play together. I wish it wasn't so, but if I was betting I am guessing he gets them turned around pretty quickly.

Last edited:
They will look totally different next year if they can get King and McGowens eligible right away.

Reactions: GBRnTX

SMDH....

Sweet Sixteen appearances: Fred 1 (in year 4); Fran 0 (in year 10).

Conference Tournament Championships: Fred 2 (in 5 years); Fran 0 (in 10 years)

Fred is 5-2 all-time against Fran.

Q: If Fred is a “one star coach,” what does that make Fran?

A: It makes him not Todd Lickliter.

The “had plenty of talent last year” doesn’t even deserve a comment but I can say with a high degree of confidence that if Fran and Fred switched teams, there is no way in heck Nebraska beats Iowa last year. Some of our fans are just plain stupid.

Last edited:
Likely top 9-10 rotation 20/21.

Dalano Banton 6'8" G/F
Shamiel Stevenson 6'6" G/F
Thor Thorbjarnarson 6'6" G/F
Yvan Ouedraogo 6'9" F
Kobe Webster 6'0" G
Teddy Allen 6'5" G
Derrick Walker 6'8" F
Lat Mayen 6'9" F

Pending waivers
Kobe King 6'4" G - should be slam dunk waiver approval
Trey McGowens 6'4" G more likely a sit out transfer

20/21 roster > 19/20 roster

Last edited:
SMDH....

The “had plenty of talent last year” doesn’t even deserve a comment but I can say with a high degree of confidence that if Fran and Fred switched teams, there is no way in heck Nebraska beats Iowa last year. Some of our fans are just plain stupid.
Congrats on winning their Super Bowl then.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
SMDH....

We get it. You don't like Fran.

Reactions: perryhawk
We get it. You don't like Fran.

I like him just fine, and definitely think he should remain our coach.

I think denigrating a rival coach -- especially one who has outperformed ours -- is dumb. So I said so. Glass houses and all that...

I hate Nebraska as much as any decent Iowa fan but I think they will get better fast under Hoiberg. He knows what he is doing. JMO.

I think denigrating a rival coach -- especially one who has outperformed ours -- is dumb. So I said so. Glass houses and all that...

I hate Nebraska as much as any decent Iowa fan but I think they will get better fast under Hoiberg. He knows what he is doing. JMO.
Hoiberg has had more crap happen with his players and crime/drugs while he was a college coach than most coaches in a lifetime of coaching.

He was very lucky (and coddled) in Ames.

SMDH....

SMDH....

Raptorpeeps in with his obligatory “What has Fran done” post.

IDK, I'm not sold on Fred in Lincoln, yet. What he did at ISU was pretty revolutionary, now everyone is in the transfer game.

Raptorpeeps in with his obligatory “What has Fran done” post.

well...what has he done?

He has brought our program from the basement of the league to an average of a sixth place, 9 seed every other year or so. He’s been at this for ten years and is below .500 in league play. Is it bad? Hell no! Is it better than Todd Lickliter? Of course. No question. Does he know what he’s doing. Absolutely. His offenses are typically among the best in country and he’s quite excellent at evaluating talent. Plus, he’s clean, and his teams are fun to watch. Has he accomplished enough to expect to keep his job? I definitely think so.

Does it make any kind of sense at all to compare his accomplishments with Hoiberg’s and then conclude that Hoiberg is a “one star coach”? Lol. No. That’s, frankly, deluded.

I know what Fran is. I won’t pretend or delude myself (like some here do) that he is something that he is not or that he has proven something that he hasn’t. That makes some people here angry. Some people have daddy issues. They feel very threatened when you talk about “our guy in charge” (whoever it may be) using anything but glowing superlatives. I get it, as a fan I’m even sympathetic to it to some extent but ultimately it’s really not my problem.

Last edited:
Lol...that was yr 1 for Fred. Nobody expected much the first season. Give him a few more yrs before declaring him a 1-star coach. Esp considering what he did at Iowa St.

I like Hoiberg and think he will experience a degree of success. He actually expedited winning by having most of Miles' roster and then more guys leave this year. There is the chance that it all doesn't work as nothing but transfers it can be difficult to get guys to buy in to putting team first. But he has greatly upgraded the talent in a hurry.

Didn't he basically get players this year because they had to play a basketball schedule this year, not because he was recruiting them to play for 3-4 years?

well...what has he done?

He has brought our program from the basement of the league to an average of a sixth place, 9 seed every other year or so. He’s been at this for ten years and is below .500 in league play. Is it bad? Hell no! Is it better than Todd Lickliter? Of course. No question. Does he know what he’s doing. Absolutely. His offenses are typically among the best in country and he’s quite excellent at evaluating talent. Plus, he’s clean, and his teams are fun to watch. Has he accomplished enough to expect to keep his job? I definitely think so.

Does it make any kind of sense at all to compare his accomplishments with Hoiberg’s and then conclude that Hoiberg is a “one star coach”? Lol. No. That’s, frankly, deluded.

I know what Fran is. I won’t pretend or delude myself (like some here do) that he is something that he is not or that he has proven something that he hasn’t. That makes some people here angry. Some people have daddy issues. They feel very threatened when you talk about “our guy in charge” (whoever it may be) using anything but glowing superlatives. I get it, as a fan I’m even sympathetic to it to some extent but ultimately it’s really not my problem.
All I hear is “Blah blah blah”.

well...what has he done?

You lost all credibility when you chose to slam the coach's wife.

SMDH....

Lol. Do you even remember who didn’t play for Iowa in that game? Fran has had a hard time winning in Pinnacle Bank so it has nothing to do with Fred.

If you want to compare Fran and Fred after a year, it’s no comparison. Fran took over a ten win team and won 11 his first year at Iowa. Nebraska won 19 games last year. Fred won 7. Wow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT