ADVERTISEMENT

Net Worth Percentile Calculator

IMO you should include any mortgage debt but not the value of the house you live in. Thats how I did it. The house you live in is a liability, because you always have to live somewhere. You should include a conservative market value and any mortgage debt for an investment property.

I kind of get where you're coming from and see you're trying to be conservative, but I think your calculation has serious flaws when it comes to taking a snapshot of financial position.

For example:

Person A has $200K cash, $600K of investments (stocks and bonds) and owns a house worth $550K (with $150K remaining on the mortgage).

Person B has $200K cash, $600K of investments (stocks and bonds), has $50K in outstanding student loans and has always rented a home.

In your calculation:

Person A has a net worth of $650K ($200K + $600K - $150K).

Person B has a net worth of $750K ($200K + $600K - $50K).

I have a very hard time believing Person B is in a better financial position than Person A.

I kind of get where you're coming from and see you're trying to be conservative, but I think your calculation has serious flaws when it comes to taking a snapshot of financial position.

For example:

Person A has $200K cash, $600K of investments (stocks and bonds) and owns a house worth $550K (with $150K remaining on the mortgage).

Person B has $200K cash, $600K of investments (stocks and bonds), has $50K in outstanding student loans and has always rented a home.

In your calculation:

Person A has a net worth of $650K ($200K + $600K - $150K).

Person B has a net worth of $750K ($200K + $600K - $50K).

I have a very hard time believing Person B is in a better financial position than Person A.
I understand, but I don't view a home as an asset the same way an investment is. The home you live in can't just be liquidated, because you have to live somewhere. Sure, person A is better off and has more "wealth," but if both of them cashed out everything that could be cashed out tomorrow, person B would, as you point out, have $750k, while person A would have $650k. Person A would have a place to live rent free (which has value, and could be sold eventually), while Person B would have another rent payment due next month.

I understand, but I don't view a home as an asset the same way an investment is. The home you live in can't just be liquidated, because you have to live somewhere. Sure, person A is better off and has more "wealth," but if both of them cashed out everything that could be cashed out tomorrow, person B would, as you point out, have $750k, while person A would have $650k. Person A would have a place to live rent free (which has value, and could be sold eventually), while Person B would have another rent payment due next month.
But net worth is net worth. Sounds like you’re calculating liquid assets or something, which is fine but a different measurement.

Relatively illiquid assets (compared to publicy traded stocks and bonds) need to be included in the calaculation, but also need to have their illiquidity acknowledged. A home is just a real estate investment that doesn't provide rental income. If you include other realestate investments, you should include your home.

85, but I feel very poor. I've always been insecure about money, though, even when my husband was alive, making big $$$ and we had seven figure net worth.
I have a decent monthly retirement income. That's not part of my net worth, though.
And I also work part time. I can't take boredom.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT