ADVERTISEMENT

New B1G Media Deal

Sounds like it could be in place by Memorial Day, projections around $1.1 billion per year. That'd be around $71 million per school. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out with other networks/streaming services after FOX.

God forbid if athletes that help generate that money make $$$ off their Name, image, and likeness!!

God forbid the schools make any money to afford all these nice free amenities and scholarships they gift to all the fine student athletes that attend said schools.................
I’m not against the schools doing this. I think they should be able to provide these to recruit the best talents to help generate that revenue while letting these athletes make $$$ outside school

Reactions: BettDogs7
God forbid if athletes that help generate that money make $$$ off their Name, image, and likeness!!
The schools will be paying the student athletes but with a few modifications.
The following will be put in place:
Cancellation of training tables.
All travelling will be by bus.
No more tutors.
All lifting will be at Planet Fitness at players expense.
Student athlete will have to maintain C average.
Scholarships will be on year to year basis for 2 deep only.
All student athletes will not be allowed to use any social media, reading or sending.

I’m not against the schools doing this. I think they should be able to provide these to recruit the best talents to help generate that revenue while letting these athletes make $$$ outside school
And there is nothing wrong with that except it's being used in the wrong manner as a recruiting tool.
It will lead to dissention amongst the players who will be competing against a player that is getting a large NIL sum and said player is being playing only because of pressure on a coach from a doner.
What happens it the star player gets injured? will he/she lose the Nil money or does the money then go to the player taking injured persons place?
Lots of things to go wrong the way NIL is being used right now

And there is nothing wrong with that except it's being used in the wrong manner as a recruiting tool.
It will lead to dissention amongst the players who will be competing against a player that is getting a large NIL sum and said player is being playing only because of pressure on a coach from a doner.
What happens it the star player gets injured? will he/she lose the Nil money or does the money then go to the player taking injured persons place?
It always has lol. Who cares if this is the case now?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t think anyone has an issue with kids making money of their NIL. What most have an issue with is boosters setting up deals. It is creepy and a sign of the upcoming death of college sports idea unless challenged.

Star player injured? Hopefully, the star player & his NIL Agent/Lawyer included "lost pay" into his NIL Contract, and he contacted these two birds:

Aflac_SABAN_Still_Knuckle.jpg

Last edited:
Not to be greedy but I thought there was talk of 100 million/school annually.
Maybe shared bowl revenue ECT gets it to that number?

Sounds like it could be in place by Memorial Day, projections around $1.1 billion per year. That'd be around $71 million per school. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out with other networks/streaming services after FOX.

From the story:

The current agreement, which expires in 2023, was a six-year, $2.64 billion deal that pays out about $440 million each year.

And compared to the SEC:

In Dec 2020, ESPN and the SEC announced that they had reached a 10-year deal beginning in 2024 that will make the network the exclusive rights holder of SEC football and men's basketball. ESPN will pay the SEC around $300M annually. This is expected to bump the conference's annual distribution to its members to about $68 million.

Not to be greedy but I thought there was talk of 100 million/school annually.
Maybe shared bowl revenue ECT gets it to that number?
Yeah the $71 mill per school is just from tier 1 media rights. They'll add to that things like bowl payouts, lower tier media, etc. For comparison, last year I think the total per school payout for everything was $54 mill. I'm no expert in this stuff, but I wouldn't be surprised if you'd see it close to $80 mill per school when all's said and done. Could be wrong. $100 mill per school annually seems pretty high.

Yeah the $71 mill per school is just from tier 1 media rights. They'll add to that things like bowl payouts, lower tier media, etc. For comparison, last year I think the total per school payout for everything was $54 mill. I'm no expert in this stuff, but I wouldn't be surprised if you'd see it close to $80 mill per school when all's said and done. Could be wrong. $100 mill per school annually seems pretty high.

Yep. The B1G lowered payouts to its 12 longest-standing members by about $1.3 million per school to $54.3M.

Here is a story from May 23, 2021:

Big Ten Daily: Big Ten Led All Conferences in 2020 Revenue​

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — Last year, amid the COVID-19 pandemic, many collegiate athletic departments suffered financially due to shortened schedules and capacity limitations inside stadiums.

Even with all the chaos, the Big Ten Conference led the nation in generated revenue according to a recent report from USA Today's Steve Berkowitz. The league was followed by the SEC, PAC-12, ACC and Big 12.

The Big Ten benefited from television deals with the Big Ten Network, FOX and ESPN, leading the conference to higher total revenue and school payouts in recent years.

According to Berkowitz, the Big Ten's total revenue was a drop from 2019, but it was still about $40 million higher than the SEC. The conference lowered payouts to its 12 longest-standing members by about $1.3 million per school to $54.3 million.

The Power 5 conference's combined revenue increased by less than $11 million after seeing a rise in annual increases of nearly $252 million over the previous six years.

Here are the numbers from the 2020 fiscal year:

Total Revenue​

• Big Ten: $768.9 million
  • SEC: $728.9 million
  • Pac-12: $533.8 million
  • ACC: $496.7 million
  • Big 12: $409.2 million

School Payouts​

• Big Ten: $54.3 million
  • SEC: $45.5 million
  • Big 12: $37 to $40.5 million
  • Pac-12: $33.6 million
  • ACC: $30.9 to $37 million

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Well, this might be the dumbest thing I’ve read this year.
Why is that, do the students not deserve to be paid? You are the one stating the students should be paid, here is an opportunity to share the wealth, or you don't like sharing? without the fans, kinnick has no advantage, there is no wave, live games dwindle for viewer ship (ever see a NW or Purdue game, student bodies and fans are scarce).

Why is that, do the students not deserve to be paid? You are the one stating the students should be paid, here is an opportunity to share the wealth, or you don't like sharing? without the fans, kinnick has no advantage, there is no wave, live games dwindle for viewer ship (ever see a NW or Purdue game, student bodies and fans are scarce).
Student athletes that make that chedda, not some drunk 19 year old student. But using your dumb argument, without the athletes there isn’t a kinnick stadium for the fans to attend.

Also, have you ever looked into taking an economics course? It may help you with your whole argument🤷🏽‍♂️

Bout to get some bigger better shiny objects. And any SEC or Big ten job is above any other conference for head coaches.

Time to get that brew pub event center constructed and attached to Kinnick west side. Food court, etc.

Student athletes that make that chedda, not some drunk 19 year old student. But using your dumb argument, without the athletes there isn’t a kinnick stadium for the fans to attend.

Also, have you ever looked into taking an economics course? It may help you with your whole argument🤷🏽‍♂️
Perhaps a macro class vs the micro that most have been using

SBJ Unpacks: EXCLUSIVE: Apple back in on Big Ten talks
June 30, 2022

Tonight in Unpacks: EXCLUSIVE: Apple reaches back out to Big Ten on media rights after news of USC and UCLA coming aboard. SBJ's John Ourand and Michael Smith break it down.

USC, UCLA will bring more media money to the Big Ten
Soon after the news about USC and UCLA joining the Big Ten broke, an Apple exec called the conference with a simple message: It wanted to reengage in media-rights talks, report SBJ's John Ourand and Michael Smith. That call was emblematic of a chaotic day where media companies that had spent months finalizing how much they would pay for Big Ten rights were rushing back to the drawing board to see how the addition of two high-profile schools would change their bidding strategy.

It seems certain that negotiations now will extend into August and may be completed after Labor Day. Originally, the Big Ten had been planning to wrap up its rights negotiations at some point in July. The Big Ten was expected to be the first college conference to eclipse $1 billion in media-rights fees annually -- and that was before USC and UCLA said they would join. The Big Ten presidents officially voted to add the two schools tonight.

Fox Sports already had reached a deal to carry at least half of the conference’s package, and CBS was viewed as a front-runner to take at least a package of Saturday football games in the 3:30pm ET window. That left Amazon, ESPN and NBC competing for a third package. As late as this morning, Apple and Warner Bros. Discovery were not viewed as credible bidders. That could all change.

Media valuations are based on the addition of two more schools’ worth of games, plus a noticeable improvement in the quality of games on offer, which will make the second and third choices of games more attractive to networks each week.

The move also makes the Big Ten more valuable to media companies by devaluing a Plan B for the companies that don’t get Big Ten rights. Yesterday, media companies left out of the Big Ten would have turned their focus to the Pac-12. But the defections of USC and UCLA have caused media companies to question the value of focusing on the Pac-12.

Today’s blockbuster news culminated a whirlwind of back-and-forth discussions over the last five days. The Big Ten had been in serious talks with the leadership at both universities for more than two months, but the discussions turned more urgent over the past weekend. The schools reached out in tandem to Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren on Sunday to accelerate the process, saying that they wanted to apply for membership immediately. That led up to today’s bombshell that the Trojans and Bruins would be joining the Big Ten in 2024.

When the news broke earlier today, the Pac-12 and commissioner George Kliavkoff were completely blindsided, sources say. USC and UCLA formally submitted their applications for membership on Monday. Warren took them to an emergency meeting of Big Ten presidents and chancellors on Wednesday night and found them receptive. The formal vote occurred a short time ago.

The addition of USC and UCLA marks a huge win for the Big Ten's Warren, and further separates the Big Ten and SEC -- the two richest leagues in the land -- from the ACC, Big 12 and Pac-12. It also calls into question the future of football independent Notre Dame and access to the College Football Playoff. The moves today also created a new narrative around “What’s next?”

While the Big Ten contemplates its next move, schools from other conferences already have begun reaching out about membership opportunities, sources say.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT