ADVERTISEMENT

New coach options.

Iowa needs to keep the culture , Defense and STs whenever Kirk steps away, Iowa will never get the skill position players the Coasts and South gets so You make a hire that assures You keep what is working but is willing to fix the Offense . Iowa will be walking a tightrope the next hire which is why I suspect they will either hire from the current Staff or the new incoming Coach will keep some of the current staff on, Iowa has a playoff level defense and STs , only a complete mental midget would risk losing those 2 phases .
The new conference changes the whole ball game. If you are counting on that D (which cannot stop a crap offense like PennSt's) and special teams to win in the new conference, good luck. Enjoy the 4-8's that are coming. Hopefully KF is around to suffer through them. New guy better be Billachick or Lombardi. It's going to get real ugly.

3. Manuel Diaz (Ped State U - A brilliant defensive
mind and would bring in a good offensive
coordinator and stay out of the O game plan
unlike KF
4. Clay Helton (Georgia Southern) - He is a man
of honor and was better at USC than people
realize.

you have to be joking with these 2.

3. Manuel Diaz (Ped State U - A brilliant defensive
mind and would bring in a good offensive
coordinator and stay out of the O game plan
unlike KF
4. Clay Helton (Georgia Southern) - He is a man
of honor and was better at USC than people
realize.

you have to be joking with these 2.
Hell no on Clay Helton... He prep for the Hawks alone for the bowls should automatically disqualify him...

If he’s legitimately talking to Michigan State, I think Goetz would be a fool not to call. He’s not going anywhere though. Are the boosters still on the Ferentz bandwagon?
I had my annual physical this morning and my doctor....who is good friends of a couple of the "movers and shakers", told me they said to him "nobody is getting fired".

That information and $5 will get you a coffee at Starbucks.

Iowa will never hire a guy w no Iowa ties, sorry most of your list is invalid.

Let’s start WA Huskys DC William Ennis-Inge, other then that look on our own sidelines.
Depends who the AD is when the time comes to hire a new coach.
If the AD has no Iowa ties why would she hire an Iowa person?
A long term successful hire who can compete with the new teams in the B10 is what's needed. The current head coach cannot compete with the incoming teams.

Yes but the “bones” of the program are intact. Historically a winning team, engaged fanbase, good money with BigTen media contract and no major pressure to win a natty. We are what we are and that is a 9-3/10-2 ceiling with fans acceptable to that. If Ryan Day (a very good coach who has only lost 5 or 6 games since he’s been there) loses to Michigan they will legit want him fired and will be seething. A new coach will get the time to build his program and recruit the players without the pressure to win a Natty today. I’m not worried about the lack of current talent or lack there of as a barrier to getting a good head coach.
I would argue if we had an average offense we are in the playoffs. But kf has no interest in playoffs. He likes his gravy train just as it is.

Remember that Iowa is lacking talent on offense. Does a coach want to step into that mess?
If nothing else, it gives him the chance to build his offense from the ground up. And Iowa has always been particularly patient with their new head coaches in the past.

We don’t need a complete overhaul. Defense is on a historically good run and special teams have been really good. Consult with P Parker and hire Levar Woods. Keep Betts and Hodge(doing a good job with getting talent in their rooms), and hire a new OC with a few assistants of their choosing to help implement their offense. That means Brian, Budmayer, Copeland, and Barnett are all gone.
Agreed - none of that list probably should have come back this season to begin with, even the guy who lured Cade to come here…🙂

The new conference changes the whole ball game. If you are counting on that D (which cannot stop a crap offense like PennSt's) and special teams to win in the new conference, good luck. Enjoy the 4-8's that are coming. Hopefully KF is around to suffer through them. New guy better be Billachick or Lombardi. It's going to get real ugly.
This is absolute nonsense. The defense broke against PSU because they were on the field the entire game. With a mediocre offense that game is a win for Iowa

I seem to remember people here stating he hated Iowa.
Before the Michigan State game.

F7TrZm9XQAApFPc.jpg:large

Reactions: Stoopsbrother
I know lots of these guys are Chuck Long homers, but I’ve never been impressed with his coaching acumen
Biggest mistake fans make is they think great players = the same if they become a coach. Very rare occurrences when it happens in the major sports and college football and men’s b-ball. Most times they fail like magic Johnson’s cup of coffee as the lakers Coach or guys like Ewing and Chris Mullen coaching at their alma maters.

Biggest mistake fans make is they think great players = the same if they become a coach. Very rare occurrences when it happens in the major sports and college football and men’s b-ball. Most times they fail like magic Johnson’s cup of coffee as the lakers Coach or guys like Ewing and Chris Mullen coaching at their alma maters.
Fun dude to have a beer with probably. Always like the story of him throwing up on Fry's pants because he was so nervous.

I've never understood why fans think BJ Armstrong or similar would make great coaches. Coaching is a skill that is very different from playing.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT