ADVERTISEMENT

New coach options.

Jgarmd33

Rookie
Sep 3, 2022
We have to target coaches that would REALISTICALLY come here. These are the names I’m thinking of. Listed in no particle order.

1. Pat Nardouzzi (Pitt) - has developed NFL QB’s in
Kenneth Pickett, Maxwell Brown
2. Lance Leopold (Kansas) - the next big time FCS
Coach and he would jump at a chance to be in
the BigTen. He has made Kansas Legit.
3. Manuel Diaz (Ped State U - A brilliant defensive
mind and would bring in a good offensive
coordinator and stay out of the O game plan
unlike KF
4. Clay Helton (Georgia Southern) - He is a man
of honor and was better at USC than people
realize.
5. Garrett Riley (OC at Clemson) - great offensive
mind and lineage with Lincoln Riley also as his
bro. He is ready for a HC gig.
6. Jonathon Smith - very underrated coach who has made Oregon State a very good team in short time. He has limited future with Oregon State having no place to go in the FCS. He would very likely Jump at the chance to go to the BIg especially with the coin we could pay him and the very rabid fanbase.

Thoughts ?

Signed Jarrod Ganther

Edited to add Jonathon Smith

We have to target coaches that would REALISTICALLY come here. These are the names I’m thinking of. Listed in no particle order.

unlike KF
realize.
6. Jonathon Smith - very underrated coach who has made Oregon State a very good team in short time. He has limited future with Oregon State having no place to go in the FCS. He would very likely Jump at the chance to go to the BIg especially with the coin we could pay him and the very rabid fanbase.

Thoughts ?

Signed Jarrod Ganther

First, we play in the FBS and not FCS but it's okay. FCS is what used to be called D1-AA.

Anyway, this all won't ever happen even if I want it to. KF isn't going anywhere but here's what I would say for your list.

1. Nardouzzi- no. He's not been good. He's had a few flashes in the pan but overall they have been pretty sub par in a sub par conference. I think they have 2 wins right now.
2. Leopold- probably. Would bring excitement for sure. If he came I'd love for him to keep Phil around.
3. Diaz- hard pass. I could give reasons why but I'll save everyone time with saying I don't think he's a good leader or hc.
4. Helton- maybe. He would put in an effective-ish offense but will he get the players here?
5.Riley- honestly I'm not sure but leaning no. Clemson hasn't been great and struggling to develop.
6. Smith- probably. He has done a good job. He's brought in the right transfers and made OSU relevant for the first time in a long time.

unlike KF
realize.

Thoughts ?

Signed Jarrod Ganther

None of those are options for Iowa at this time. Kirk is the head coach and will be untill he doesn't want to be any more. I do think Brians days are numbered, maybe Kirk steps away with him, however it's doubtfull.

Remember that Iowa is laking talent on offense. Does a coach want to step into that mess?
Yes but the “bones” of the program are intact. Historically a winning team, engaged fanbase, good money with BigTen media contract and no major pressure to win a natty. We are what we are and that is a 9-3/10-2 ceiling with fans acceptable to that. If Ryan Day (a very good coach who has only lost 5 or 6 games since he’s been there) loses to Michigan they will legit want him fired and will be seething. A new coach will get the time to build his program and recruit the players without the pressure to win a Natty today. I’m not worried about the lack of current talent or lack there of as a barrier to getting a good head coach.

Dude. Tell me you don’t know Jack $hit about football without directly telling me you don’t know Jack $hit about football.

Good grief.
You Dont Get It Over Your Head GIF

unlike KF
realize.

Thoughts ?

Signed Jarrod Ganther

Hahaha #4 he is the dorky looking hack even this crappy Iowa staff out coached. Word is this lazy buffoon didn’t even bother with bowl and spring practices.
No one in their right mind will take this gig until KF gets a few years of piss poundings in the new league. His run the clock, punt, don’t get beat deep D (though they do) weak scheduling ways will not work vs the better competition coming.
Woods is postering for the job anyway. All the easy schedule 8-4s will become 4-8 real soon.

Remember that Iowa is laking talent on offense. Does a coach want to step into that mess?
Most coaches like and embrace a challenge… to be the coach that takes a program from bad or average to good or great. So of course a coach would want to come here. Especially considering Iowa’s proven track record as a solid, stable program… not elite, but solid.

ranking coaches in order of preference
HC Grubb, keep Ferentz (no control of offense) Garrett Riley
OC Grubb or Demarcus Shepheard
Defense stays same if Parker goes move Wallace to DC and bring in… Chad greenway for Lb coach lol

Last edited:
Reactions: ClarindaA's
Yes but the “bones” of the program are intact. Historically a winning team, engaged fanbase, good money with BigTen media contract and no major pressure to win a natty. We are what we are and that is a 9-3/10-2 ceiling with fans acceptable to that. If Ryan Day (a very good coach who has only lost 5 or 6 games since he’s been there) loses to Michigan they will legit want him fired and will be seething. A new coach will get the time to build his program and recruit the players without the pressure to win a Natty today. I’m not worried about the lack of current talent or lack there of as a barrier to getting a good head coach.
That is true. Even a young up and comer that would turn things around before moving on to Alabama or Notre Dame would be okay.

unlike KF
realize.

Thoughts ?

Signed Jarrod Ganther

2,4,5,6 are all good by me.

I realize he probably wouldn't get the job, seeing how he lacks HC, OC or DC experience, but I think Levar Woods would be an incredible HC. And I like the idea of someone on Kirk's staff taking over. I'd definitely like to see major improvement on the offensive side of the ball, but the rest of the way Iowa plays football I don't ever want to see changed. I think I'd be a little sad if an outsider came in and scrapped everything.

I realize he probably wouldn't get the job, seeing how he lacks HC, OC or DC experience, but I think Levar Woods would be an incredible HC. And I like the idea of someone on Kirk's staff taking over. I'd definitely like to see major improvement on the offensive side of the ball, but the rest of the way Iowa plays football I don't ever want to see changed. I think I'd be a little sad if an outsider came in and scrapped everything.
We need a complete reset. I would be cool retaining Phil and Levar in their current roles, but we need someone outside the program to come in imo. Iowa isn’t Ohio state, but we are in the next tier of programs when it comes to winning and financials. We will be a very attractive program to a lot of potential suitors.

An outsider is exactly what we need.

Lane Kiffen.

He’d be pure entertainment with our fan base.

Doesn’t seem like it but he’s a defensive guy who wants to run the ball.

He’d never leave the SEC but with the west coast joining?

He’s young enough, and arrogant enough. I’ve always liked his style.

• Haha
Reactions: BHCrusader2010
Remember that Iowa is lacking talent on offense. Does a coach want to step into that mess?
Yes. Despite what many say the football "program" is in great shape. I can think of 6 or 7 million reasons why a coach should be interested in the Iowa job.

Thoughts ?

Signed Jarrod Ganther

The coach has to be a high energy, very good recruiter. I would say whatever list of 10 coaches there are that besides being a very good leader, administrator and coach that they have to be a very good recruiter and hire a very good staff

Reactions: wxhawk
hey let’s hire a special teams coach with no head coaching experience ! What could go wrong ? It would help our ESG BLackrock diversity score !

We don’t need a complete overhaul. Defense is on a historically good run and special teams have been really good. Consult with P Parker and hire Levar Woods. Keep Betts and Hodge(doing a good job with getting talent in their rooms), and hire a new OC with a few assistants of their choosing to help implement their offense. That means Brian, Budmayer, Copeland, and Barnett are all gone.

Remember that Iowa is lacking talent on offense. Does a coach want to step into that mess?
I think a great coach could improve us dramatically thru the portal in one year on O. There are tons of kids even in FBC that are way better than the qbs and receivers we have. I would think most would jump to play at Iowa with a new coach and scheme.
We need some new blood and excitement.
The reason now imo that good players won't come is the reputation and offensive scheme. A new coach could change that thinking first year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT