MLB - Josey Jewell, Travis Perry
WLB - Bo Bower, Cole Fisher, Aaron Mends
CB - Greg Mabin, Maurice Fleming
CB - Desmond King, Sean Draper
FS - Jordan Lomax, Anthony Gair
SS - Miles Taylor, Brandon Snyder

P - Connor Kornbrath, Dillon Kidd
K - Marshall Koehn, Mick Ellis

Of course, the team could surprise people, I hope they do. At first glance at that depth chart, all I can say is, yikes. With a weak schedule we should get to six or seven wins, though.

That offensive line scares me, CJ may be running for his life next year. Tevaun Smith and Drew Ott could have big years, though.

Doesn't show up in depth chart but Marcel Joly and Derrick Mitchell Jr are both listed as RB's now. I know Mitchell Jr. was a WR last year and I thought Joly was a CB last year.

Originally posted by hawkeyefanatic84:
Doesn't show up in depth chart but Marcel Joly and Derrick Mitchell Jr are both listed as RB's now. I know Mitchell Jr. was a WR last year and I thought Joly was a CB last year.
Yep, KF said that Joly and Mitchell are getting a look at RB this spring and also that Jonathan Parker is getting a look at WR.

With effective coaching, against this schedule, Iowa should win 10 games. No excuses.

And speaking of schedules, take a look at Ohio State's. It's as bad as Iowa's, or worse, given that the Buckeyes are defending national champions. It'll be difficult for the Buckeyes to avoid another 12-0 regular season.

we need to be able to start getting top 35 recruiting classes year in and year out, with the occasional top 20 class...until then....it's looking tough

Originally posted by Blair Sanderson:

Yep, KF said that Joly and Mitchell are getting a look at RB this spring and also that Jonathan Parker is getting a look at WR.

He's not looking at parker as a QB after the bowl game? ;)
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by HerkyHopeful:
Originally posted by Blair Sanderson:

He's not looking at parker as a QB after the bowl game? ;)
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Parker certainly isn't afraid to throw it downfield. Just needs to work on his timing a bit more.

Originally posted by hoks2415:
Of course, the team could surprise people, I hope they do. At first glance at that depth chart, all I can say is, yikes. With a weak schedule we should get to six or seven wins, though.

That offensive line scares me, CJ may be running for his life next year. Tevaun Smith and Drew Ott could have big years, though.
CJ will be running for his life and opponents will be running straight up the gut. We are a single injury to CJ, T. Smith, Ott, Johnson, King, or Vandenburg from an absolute disaster.

I agree that key injuries could be devastating, but that's pretty common for most teams not named Ohio State, Alabama, or USC.

Don't underestimate the value of having even an average RB mixed in with a QB who can throw the ball down the field at any time, even into the wind. Forcing any defense to play honest is huge. It's easier to block. It's easier to find the seams as an RB. It's easier to get separation as a receiver. And it's motivating for receivers to know they don't have to get separation on their own. The QB can throw them open, and he ain't afraid to do just that.

I know it's an if as big as Kirk's salary, but IF Iowa can be more aggressive and creative in its play calling, the offense should be tremendously improved. And by that I mean on the scoreboard, the only place it actually counts.

And don't underestimate the value of not having an ongoing QB debate that the head coach handles as poorly as possible. We all know that divided the team and led to lots of motivational problems.

And with a higher-scoring offense, the defense has more margin for error. And any defense that knows it doesn't have to shut the other team out to have a chance to win is a more relaxed, aggressive, effective defense.

If only we had a few more scholarship punters, I'd be guardedly optimistic--again, given the schedule.

Originally posted by ChrisVarick:

Originally posted by hoks2415:

CJ will be running for his life and opponents will be running straight up the gut. We are a single injury to CJ, T. Smith, Ott, Johnson, King, or Vandenburg from an absolute disaster.
Best hope Blythe can stay healthy on that line too

There isn't much in the cupboard. The roster has a lot of walk ons with numbers and a lot of Iowa boys.

I hope I'm wrong but were is the offense going to come from. Double team Tevaun Smith and who is there to throw the ball to. Could be a long season offensively.

Defensively I like what we have at DB's. LB are slow and the DL is going to be a work in progress.

Originally posted by pink shizzle:

Originally posted by Buckwatcher:

the DL is going to be a work in progress.
I hope Cooper can return an perform well after that knee injury.
What Kirk had to say about him was troubling. He said he doesn't know when he's coming back and that his injury was taking time to come around. Should know more around June, I believe.

Originally posted by Buckwatcher:

I hope I'm wrong but were is the offense going to come from.
CJB is the superstar we've been pining for. We're good for 40 points per game.

Q: Cooper available?

KF: Probably not this spring. Still has a significant road ahead of him. Probably know more in June if he can make it back. I hope he can. Tremendous guy

Originally posted by Aegon_Targaryen:

KF: Probably not this spring. Still has a significant road ahead of him. Probably know more in June if he can make it back. I hope he can. Tremendous guy
Bummer.

I think we culd be ok if no one gets hurt at key positions..but that is rare. boettger is going to be a stud...just watch.

Originally posted by Aegon_Targaryen:

Not what I was hoping for

Could be a salty defense. Looking forward to see what Jewell can do at MLB and Taylor at SS. CB looks very good and deep to me. Jaleel's and Bazata need to step in and fill some big shoes on the DL.

Holding an opinion on offense until after the Spring game - a lot of new or relatively inexperienced starters on the OL. Beathard to Smith could be a big play combo this season.

Originally posted by StormHawk42:
Who would be 3rd string WR's behind Stone and Hillyer?
I got to believe that Jay Scheel fits in there if he is healthy and 100%

CoachoftheFuture1 posted on 3/25/2015...

With effective coaching, against this schedule, Iowa should win 10 games. No excuses.

And speaking of schedules, take a look at Ohio State's. It's as bad as Iowa's, or worse, given that the Buckeyes are defending national champions. It'll be difficult for the Buckeyes to avoid another 12-0 regular season.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

What are you smokin'?

Buck.McCoy posted on 3/25/2015...

Originally posted by nu2u:

Could be a salty defense.
LOL
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

My thoughts as well

Va Tech - beat OSU last year in the SHOE 7-6 last year and WON their bowl game.
NIU - was 11-3 last year and we all know they can beat B1G teams...
Hawaii got to have one easy game on your pre-season (and in a beautiful setting none-the-less).
West Mich - another NIU type 8-4 last year and played Va Tech nearly as tough as OSU did last year (and it was away).

Vs Iowa schedule

Illinois state 13-2 Div 1AA
Iowa State - nuf said
Pitt - legit team (much like Va Tech)
North Texas 4-8 lost to Indiana badly

I heard that Cooper had a significant knee surgery which required him to be non-weight bearing for several months. I didn't know it was that serious. Sounds like he just started running recently. The injury could possibly end his career and it looks like they don't know if he will make it back. Bummer as I'm sure he would have been a starter.

I sure wish we had Willies along with Smith. Overall that is a pretty bad depth chart.

This post was edited on 3/26 2:19 PM by Hawks2405

Originally posted by BirdistheWord:
Originally posted by arizona-hawk:
I hope I'm wrong, but that depth chart looks scary bad. Hopefully we have some surprises emerge.
Front Seven has a lot of potential holes

Assume the O Line will be at least solid

RB/WR - Really need some new guys to emerge

Long Snapper is strong
If we are touting the strength of the long snapper we are screwed.

The demographic make-up of Ferguson is 67.4% African American, while the Police force is 94% white.
15 out of the 45 listed on the depth chart are African American (33%), while the state of Iowa is 91.3% white.
While that is a lower percentage than you might normally see on their depth chart, I fail to see your comparison or point.
Are you implying that this staff is racist or there is racial disparity?
I hope the mods agree that such comments are not welcome here.

Originally posted by BuddyRydell:

The demographic make-up of Ferguson is 67.4% African American, while the Police force is 94% white.
15 out of the 45 listed on the depth chart are African American (33%), while the state of Iowa is 91.3% white.
While that is a lower percentage than you might normally see on their depth chart, I fail to see your comparison or point.
if you look again, he specifically said LB. and perhaps don't take everything said on here so literally. jeesh.

Originally posted by Quintana:

Originally posted by BuddyRydell:

if you look again, he specifically said LB. and perhaps don't take everything said on here so literally. jeesh.
No, he said 'lb' not 'LB' which I took as a typo for Ia as I have never seen the abbreviation for pound used to denote a linebacker.
Regardless, it doesn't change the innuendo and is still inappropriate. Should it be taken figuratively? It isn't metaphorical, it is an actual event, so it can only be taken literally.
I don't know if you read the news or not, but tensions are high over that situation. A man was beaten on the Metro in St. Louis, I believe yesterday, for simply not wanting to talk about it. An ex major league ball player was punched at a convienent store and told to go back to Ferguson. And that is just the 'newsworthy' events. Nothing to jape about my friend.
P,S.- How do you know he didn't want to be taken literally? Do you know him? Did he ask you to represent him, ask you to speak for him? Are you his atty? jeesh.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT