ADVERTISEMENT

New/interesting foods you've discovered recently....

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
Bought some horseradish sweet pickles on a whim a while back - I'd never heard of such a thing before.

I'm finding that they are an amazing compliment to all kinds of food.

Last night, I grilled some spicy Italian sausage, and I chopped up some of the horseradish sweet pickles and garnished the sausage with those, a little red marinara and fresh paremesan cheese. D-Lite-FULL!

Anyone else have any new and/or unusual foods they've gotten into lately?

That's soooooooo 2007.

871.gif

Bought some horseradish sweet pickles on a whim a while back - I'd never heard of such a thing before.

Last night, I grilled some spicy Italian sausage, and I chopped up some of the horseradish sweet pickles and garnished the sausage with those, a little red marinara and fresh paremesan cheese. D-Lite-FULL!

I've taken to baking cauliflower tossed with olive oil and different spices.

Reactions: longliveCS40
I saw a recipe that called for using cauliflower as pizza crust. I've been meaning to try it. Might be a nice replacement for some unwanted carbs.
I have seen those. Look like a complete pain in the butt. When trying to avoid carbs but want pizza sometimes I get a jar of the lowest carb pizza sauce at the store, some ground pork sausage, mozzarella and mushrooms and make a crustless pizza in a casserole pan. Just fry up the sausage first, assemble and bake for about 25 minutes.

I saw a recipe that called for using cauliflower as pizza crust. I've been meaning to try it. Might be a nice replacement for some unwanted carbs.
My wife will blend cauliflower and she loves it. It looks like mashed potatoes but certainly doesn't smell and taste like it.

My wife brought some of these pickles home from Sam's one day and they are awesome.

I've taken to baking cauliflower tossed with olive oil and different spices.
I did that with some Brussels sprouts a few weeks ago. Hy Vee had bags of little bitty ones about an inch in diameter. A few were big enough I cut them in half. Roasted at 425° until the outer leaves were just crispy.

I done it with broccoli but not cauliflower yet. Gotta do that.

Yuca fries at a peruvian place were awesome. Pronounced yoo-cuh and very different from the yucca plant, pronounced yuck-uh

Crawfish............love them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Z

I did that with some Brussels sprouts a few weeks ago. Hy Vee had bags of little bitty ones about an inch in diameter. A few were big enough I cut them in half. Roasted at 425° until the outer leaves were just crispy.

I done it with broccoli but not cauliflower yet. Gotta do that.
With broccoli I like to just use olive oil, salt, and cracked pepper. With cauliflower, lately I've been going with olive oil and then actually a rub I get for pork butts / ribs. The cauliflower takes on kind of a nuttiness when baked, whereas I find broccoli to retain more of its broccoliness. Both are better for different dishes.

We actually roast both broccoli and cauliflower together to have some variety. I prefer the broccoli though.

We've also tried the cauliflower "mashed potatoes"... Meh.

Brussel sprouts - like the poster above says, cut them in half. Mix olive oil, brown sugar, minced garlic (I buy the jar of pre-minced to make this easy), salt and pepper in a dish. Toss the brussel sprouts around in it and then just roast them on a pan. I don't know for sure, maybe 375 for about 20-25 minutes. They are excellent. The brown sugar gives them a bit of caramelization (probably not a word).

Horseradish is a greatly underrated thing. We found some cheddar/horseradish potato chips that are terrific. Really hot.

Finally tried Sushi....love it.

Reactions: Mike Zierath
Horseradish is a greatly underrated thing. We found some cheddar/horseradish potato chips that are. Really hot.

Yep. Horseradish is a magical plant that sparks the taste buds. A great compliment to rare roast beef. On leftover sandwiches horseradish (or horseradish mustard) is very tasty. With a slice of your favorite cheese on top. I like it on rye but the bread is your preference.

I've used the raw plant itself in casseroles and pastas, adds a nice zing. Be careful though, like garlic it can overpower other ingredients.

I tried kale few years ago. Never again. My veggie friend said you just have to add some stuff on it to make it taste better. Like a peanut butter and jelly and kale sandwich.
I use it much like spinach and toss it in with eggs or the quinoa. Quinoa and kale cooked in chicken stalk is pretty tasty stuff. Toss in black beans and meat and maybe some pineapple and you wont even know its healthy. I also wilt it with balsamic vinegar and cranberries as a side and I toss it in raw with a mixed salad but I agree its too pungent to eat raw on its own.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT