ADVERTISEMENT

NEW POLL: 54% of Americans Approve of Colorado Kicking Trump Off Ballot — Including a Quarter of Republicans

As I've said before, leaving elections up to the States was yet another stupid move by the Founders.

As amazing as it was for its time, our Constitution isn't holding too up well these days.
I‘ve stated this same concept in other threads, but the potential hazard in our constitutional system of governance is that all the safeguards / guardrails within are reliant on the assumption that our elected officials have the capacity to act in a dignified and honorable way that acknowledges truth and works for the betterment of the country rather than their own political power.

Today's republican party is “stress testing” this concept like never before.

I don’t have ill will towards you. It’s just based on your absurd comment most US Presidents would be guilty of insurrection.
Based on not securing the border? No they wouldn't

Biden is deliberately not securing tge bitser against an unprecented invasion of migration. It is a dangerous dereliction of duty and absolutely an insurrection of our country to not just allow but encourage this many people to cross our southern border. The actions of this administration is an attack on this country

Biden is deliberately not securing tge bitser against an unprecented invasion of migration. It is a dangerous dereliction of duty and absolutely an insurrection of our country to not just allow but encourage this many people to cross our southern border. The actions of this administration is an attack on this country
So will he be charged for this?

One more time: You can object to how Biden is handling the border, but don't call it "insurrection."

If you think "insurrection" is the correct word, please explain your reasoning.

Reactions: Tom Paris
My hope is that SCOTUS allows the insurrection findings to stand. That 1/ was an insurrection and that Trump was a participant.

I won't be upset if they rule that who gets on the primary ballot depends on CO election laws, and sends that part back to the CO court for reconsideration.

I haven't read the CO decision and don't know CO's election laws, so it's possible the CO court already addressed that in a way SCOTUS might accept. In which case SCOTUS might uphold the whole decision.

The worst outcome would be that SCOTUS rules that 1/6 was not an insurrection and/or that Trump was not an insurrectionist. That would be seen as vindication and would be tantamount to handing the 2024 election to Trump.

Or maybe that would be the best outcome. Because then it would be clear that the Court is beyond saving by peaceful means.

I have popcorn.
So, what do you think?

So, what do you think?
SCOTUS will take what I think is a fairly weak “out” - the President isn’t AN officer language - and use it to overturn Colorado S.C. decision.

Personally, I think someone like trump is precisely WHY that amendment was adopted and it certainly should apply to the POTUS. But they will want to take the out and avoid chaos.

SCOTUS will take what I think is a fairly weak “out” - the President isn’t AN officer language - and use it to overturn Colorado S.C. decision.

Personally, I think someone like trump is precisely WHY that amendment was adopted and it certainly should apply to the POTUS. But they will want to take the out and avoid chaos.
I think they’re pushing the legislation angle. Kagan asked “The question before us today is why should a single state get to determine who gets to be POTUS?” This inconsistency among the states is why we got rid of the articles of confederation.

I think they’re pushing the legislation angle. Kagan asked “The question before us today is why should a single state get to determine who gets to be POTUS?” This inconsistency among the states is why we got rid of the articles of confederation.
Obviously who gets to be president is and should be a federal question. But the constitution left the conduct of elections to the states. So arguably who gets to be on the ballot should rest with the states. As I believe it already does in all states.

Is that asking for a shit show, as the questioning by some justices suggests - with the potential for dueling tit-for-tat politically-based disqualifications?

And yet . . . states now set the qualifications for who can be on ballots. Paperwork, signatures, filing fees, deadlines, and more. Candidates tick off the boxes and affirm things like residency, age, and more. What's wrong with one of the boxes they have to tick off being a sworn statement that the candidate didn't advocate, participate in, or aid an insurrection to block the peaceful transfer of power?

Then again, if a state like Mississippi opted to kick Trump off the ballot, a million people there might learn how to write just to write Trump in.

What happens if Trump isn't on the ballot and wins anyway? Like Biden did in the NH primary.

Last edited:
While my snarky Mississippi comment above was intended as humor, if the Rs actually think about it, they could pass out self-inking rubber stamps with Trump's name, just to be safe. I certainly would in their shoes.

Until he is criminally convicted of insurrection he should remain on the ballot.

Once he is convicted he should be in prison and ineligible

A new poll conducted by YouGov America found that 54% of Americans — and even 24% of Republicans — approved of the Colorado Supreme Court’s decision to kick former President Donald Trumpoff of its 2024 presidential primary ballot.

The court released its opinion holding that Trump was ineligible to reprise his role as president because of the 14th Amendment’s clause barring insurrectionists from holding office on Tuesday evening, concluding that the evidence brought to it “established that President Trump engaged in insurrection” by attempting to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election.

While some anti-Trump stalwarts have praised the decision, many have criticized it as an attack on democracy and act of political gamesmanship. But early polling shows that a majority of Americans support the opinion. According to the YouGov survey of 3,492 respondents, 54% of the country approve of the Court’s conclusion and 38% strongly approve of it. A combined 35%, meanwhile, either strongly or somewhat disapprove of it.

I wonder how many of those polled actually understand the language and real issues in the poll. I'm guessing it's about the same number as on this forum.

Reactions: goldmom
Until he is criminally convicted of insurrection he should remain on the ballot.

Once he is convicted he should be in prison and ineligible
We don't need formal conviction to know insurrection was encouraged and supported by Trump.

That said, I'm inclined to agree that he should be on the ballot - simply because people should be able to vote for their choice, and Trump is clearly the choice of many.

For any other crime, they would still be able to run and serve. Insurrection is different. Which is to say that he could be on the ballot and win, but not be allowed to serve. If people want to vote for him anyway, knowing that, that should be up to them.

So . . . what happens if Trump wins and the Senate or Harris refuse to transfer power to him on insurrection grounds?

Reactions: fsu1jreed
This The Colorado Supreme Court is on solid Constitutional ground with the 14th Amendment. Highly possible that it would be upheld by SCOTUS. The Texas thing is stupid and in no way related to an Insurrectionist coup, Republicans in America are officially dumb enough to try it, but it wouldn’t stand a chance.
Enjoy your wank off fantasy.
Bad thread for my man Menace.

Bad thread for my man Menace.
It was a 9-0 vote.
Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

We don't need formal conviction to know insurrection was encouraged and supported by Trump.

That said, I'm inclined to agree that he should be on the ballot - simply because people should be able to vote for their choice, and Trump is clearly the choice of many.

For any other crime, they would still be able to run and serve. Insurrection is different. Which is to say that he could be on the ballot and win, but not be allowed to serve. If people want to vote for him anyway, knowing that, that should be up to them.

So . . . what happens if Trump wins and the Senate or Harris refuse to transfer power to him on insurrection grounds?
None of that came to pass.

Reactions: goldmom
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT