ADVERTISEMENT

NEW POLL: 54% of Americans Approve of Colorado Kicking Trump Off Ballot — Including a Quarter of Republicans

The 7 D appointed judges in Colorado had a 4-3 decision. It’s not like there was a consensus on the decision.

I think it’s a pretty good chance at least 1 of the 3 D’s vote to toss it.
"In September, six Republican and unaffiliated Colorado voters filed suit in Denver to keep Trump off the state’s ballot. They included Norma Anderson, the former Republican majority leader of the Colorado Senate and House; Krista Kafer, a conservative columnist for The Denver Post; and Claudine Schneider, a former Republican U.S. representative. They were represented by our organization and a team of powerhouse bipartisan Colorado lawyers."

"In September, six Republican and unaffiliated Colorado voters filed suit in Denver to keep Trump off the state’s ballot. They included Norma Anderson, the former Republican majority leader of the Colorado Senate and House; Krista Kafer, a conservative columnist for The Denver Post; and Claudine Schneider, a former Republican U.S. representative. They were represented by our organization and a team of powerhouse bipartisan Colorado lawyers."
The case needed Republican plaintiffs to take him off the Republican primary ballot. A democrat wouldn't have a case...because they aren't eligible to vote in the primary.

Sooo....Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, a liberal political nonprofitbased in Washington, D.C. found some R's and brought the case.

More than three months ago, a group of Colorado electors eligible to vote in
the Republican presidential primary
—both registered Republican and unaffiliated
voters (“the Electors”)—filed a lengthy petition in the District Court for the City
and County of Denver (“Denver District Court” or “the district court”), asking the
court to rule that former President Donald J. Trump (“President Trump”) may not
appear on the Colorado Republican presidential primary ballot.
¶2
Invoking provisions of Colorado’s Uniform Election Code of 1992,
§§ 1-1-101 to 1-13-804, C.R.S. (2023) (the “Election Code”), the Electors requested
that the district court prohibit Jena Griswold, in her official capacity as Colorado’s
Secretary of State (“the Secretary”), from placing President Trump’s name on the
presidential primary ballot. They claimed that Section Three of the Fourteenth
Amendment to the U.S. Constitution (“Section Three”) disqualified President
Trump from seeking the presidency. More specifically, they asserted that he was
ineligible under Section Three because he engaged in insurrection on January 6,
2021, after swearing an oath as President to support the U.S. Constitution

A registered Democrat wouldn’t have standing to petition to get Trump off the Republican Primary ballot. The lawyers and financing were provided by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington. A left wing special interest group.

Last edited:
A registered Democrat wouldn’t have standing to petition to get Trump off the Republican Primary ballot. The lawyers and financing were provided by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington. A left wing special interest group.
Great, so we agree that it was republicans who filed the suit.

Biden asked for $14 billion for border security. The Republicans are the ones holding that up.

Sure they have their own ideas. So add them on. I mean it's not like they actually care about spending money we don't have - so just tack on what they want.
And yet they wouldn't allow Trump $5 billion. Maybe ots all just political bullshit.

Because as usual you will bend over backwards to protect Trump - while telling us you don’t like Trump.
Republicans brought the lawsuits. Republican. Had zero to do with Biden and democrats.
You're a clown.
How is stating CREW provided the lawyers and financed the case defending Trump?

Seriously.

Biden asked for $14 billion for border security. The Republicans are the ones holding that up.

Sure they have their own ideas. So add them on. I mean it's not like they actually care about spending money we don't have - so just tack on what they want.
Why would they ask for $14 billion if it isn't an issue?

Democrats care about spending money and the impact on a $2 Trillion/year deficit?

Reactions: Hawkman34
Lmfao. You’re trying to pretend that republicans didn’t bring the suit and I’M the partisan hack?
I thought you claimed you weren’t stupid.
I’m pretending nothing. The petitioners were registered R’s as they had to be to get him off the republican primary ballot.

CREW brought, paid for and supplied the lawyers for the case.

And yet they wouldn't allow Trump $5 billion. Maybe ots all just political bullshit.
I don't remember a fight over $5 billion. I do remember a fight over $50 billion for Trump's wall. Later reduced to a $25 billion request, iirc.

In the end, Trump diverted money from other congressional authorizations and did a half-assed job of build short sections of fencing (not a wall), much of which replaced existing fencing (rather than being a new stretch of fencing).

I get that you favor a wall. That's your right. But what makes you think Trump will do better next time?

Reactions: fsu1jreed
what about Hunter EVER made him qualified to make that kind of money on the Burisma board.
I ask that same question every time a politician's relative milks his family name for advancement. You know, like George W Bush did during his dad's 9 years as VP and Prez.

It's unsavory and maybe there should be rules or laws against it. But there aren't. So all you really have - and all I ever had - was outrage and "it doesn't smell right."

By all means take a good look, but absent proof of wrong-doing, it doesn't justify the years of hysteria, dishonesty and stalking about Hunter.

I ask that same question every time a politician's relative milks his family name for advancement. You know, like George W Bush did during his dad's 9 years as VP and Prez.

It's unsavory and maybe there should be rules or laws against it. But there aren't. So all you really have - and all I ever had - was outrage and "it doesn't smell right."

By all means take a good look, but absent proof of wrong-doing, it doesn't justify the years of hysteria, dishonesty and stalking about Hunter.
There is almost always evidence, whether Bush's, Clinton, Reagan, Obama, and so forth (I'm Equal Opportunity). The issue is whether everyday citizens can have open access to the evidence.

What a lot of people don't understand (and I've dealt with the court system there) is that for all our corruption, Ukraine does it on steroids.

Funny and true story, I had a group I was leading and we couldn't get through barricades due to Maidan unrest. The police/military pulled the driver behind some bushes. The driver came back smiling. He said, it was a young one. Only 10 hr (2 bucks at that time) to pay the bribe so we could get through. Now it's like 30 cent worth.

What a lot of people don't understand (and I've dealt with the court system there) is that for all our corruption, Ukraine does it on steroids.
Pretty sure that's been the bipartisan view of Ukraine for years, under all the last several Ukraine presidents. At least back to the Orange Revolution and probably before, but we didn't care until then.

Pretty sure that's been the bipartisan view of Ukraine for years, under all the last several Ukraine presidents. At least back to the Orange Revolution and probably before, but we didn't care until then.
Ya we did. I started 20 years ago on US Govt Ag projects. The Orange Rev put in a president with a US born wife (Katya/Kathy) during the Orange Revolution. I have great friends there, but it takes years to begin to understand the culture of trauma and deception and the impact of a century of extreme ethnic abuse. Ethnic I mean Ukrainian and Russia Ukrainians

Funny and true story, I had a group I was leading and we couldn't get through barricades due to Maidan unrest. The police/military pulled the driver behind some bushes. The driver came back smiling. He said, it was a young one. Only 10 hr (2 bucks at that time) to pay the bribe so we could get through. Now it's like 30 cent worth.
LOL.

I can't figure out whether cheaper bribes is moving in the right direction or wrong direction.

These days there should be a app showing proper bribe prices. Sort of like a tip calculator but with a database indexing who you need to bribe and for what.

The way things are going here, we're going to need that in America soon (or yesterday).

LOL.

I can't figure out whether cheaper bribes is moving in the right direction or wrong direction.

These days there should be a app showing proper bribe prices. Sort of like a tip calculator but with a database indexing who you need to bribe and for what.

The way things are going here, we're going to need that in America soon (or yesterday).
My attorney on a legal issue went in the talk to the judge in her office. He came back out and said, "a-oh". I asked him what was wrong. His reply was, "This one's honest". No kidding.

I like the calculator. Another time I was stopped in a sobriety sting. I had just filled the washer fluid container (it was sleeting) with vodka (cheap and available in rural areas). I desperately tried to keep the office who had for a cop car a 1970s Lada, from finding my citizenship thinking the "fine/bribe" would be higher. I finally had to tell him and he quickly ended the interrogation.

The Supreme Court Should Overturn the Colorado Ruling Unanimously​

When Donald Trump appeals the Colorado decision disqualifying him from the ballot in that state’s Republican primary, the Supreme Court should overturn the ruling unanimously.

Like many of my fellow liberals, I would love to live in a country where Americans had never elected Mr. Trump — let alone sided with him by the millions in his claims that he won an election he lost, and that he did nothing wrong afterward. But nobody lives in that America. For all the power the institution has arrogated, the Supreme Court cannot bring that fantasy into being. To bar Mr. Trump from the ballot now would be the wrong way to show him to the exits of the political system, after all these years of strife.

Some aspects of American election law are perfectly clear — like the rule that prohibits candidates from becoming president before they turn 35 — but many others are invitations to judges to resolve uncertainty as they see fit, based in part on their own politics. Take Section 3 of the 14th Amendment, which blocks insurrectionists from running for office, a provision originally aimed at former Confederates in the wake of the Civil War. There may well be some instances in which the very survival of a democratic regime is at stake if noxious candidates or parties are not banned, as in West Germany after World War II. But in this case, what Section 3 requires is far from straightforward. Keeping Mr. Trump off the ballot could put democracy at more risk rather than less.

Part of the danger lies in the fact that what actually happened on Jan. 6 — and especially Mr. Trump’s exact role beyond months of election denial and entreaties to government officials to side with him — is still too broadly contested. The Colorado court deferred to a lower court on the facts, but it was a bench trial, meaning that no jury ever assessed what happened, and that many Americans still believe Mr. Trump did nothing wrong. A Supreme Court that affirms the Colorado ruling would have to succeed in constructing a consensual narrative where others — including armies of journalists, the Jan. 6 commission and recent indictments — have failed.
The Supreme Court has been asked to weigh in on the fate of presidencies before, and its finer moments in this regard have been when it was a force for stability and reflected the will and interests of voters. Almost 50 years ago, the court faced a choice to end a presidency as it deliberated on Richard Nixon’s high crimes and misdemeanors. But by the time the Supreme Court acted in 1974, a special prosecutor, Leon Jaworski, had already won indictments of Nixon’s henchmen and named the president himself before a grand jury as an unindicted co-conspirator. Public opinion was with Jaworski; the American people agreed that the tapes Nixon was trying to shield from prosecutors were material evidence, and elites in both political parties had reached the same conclusion. In deciding against Nixon, the Supreme Court was only reaffirming the political consensus.
As the constitutional law professor Josh Chafetz has observed, even United States v. Nixon was suffused with a rhetoric of judicial aggrandizement. But if the Supreme Court were to exclude Mr. Trump from the ballot, seconding the Colorado court on each legal nicety, when so many people still disagree on the facts, it would have disastrous consequences.

For one thing, it would strengthen the hand of a Supreme Court that liberals have rightly complained grabs too much power too routinely. Joe Biden came into office calling fora re-examination of whether the Supreme Court needs reform, and there would be considerable irony if he were re-elected after that very body was seen by millions to pre-empt a democratic choice.

Worse, it is not obvious how many would accept a Supreme Court decision that erased Mr. Trump’s name from every ballot in the land. Liberals with bad memories of Bush v. Gore, which threw an election to one candidate rather than counting votes, have often regretted accepting that ruling as supinely as they did. And rejecting Mr. Trump’s candidacy could well invite a repeat of the kind of violence that led to the prohibition on insurrectionists in public life in the first place. The purpose of Section 3 was to stabilize the country after a civil war, not to cause another one.

As it unfolds, the effort to disqualify Mr. Trump could make him more popular than ever. As harsh experience since 2016 has taught, legalistic maneuvers haven’t hurt him in the polls. And Democrats do nothing to increase their popularity by setting out to “save democracy” when it looks — if their legal basis for proceeding is too flimsy — as if they are afraid of practicing it. That the approval ratings of the Democratic standard-bearer, Mr. Biden, have cratered as prosecutions of Mr. Trump and now this Colorado ruling have accumulated indicates that trying again is a mistake, both of principle and of strategy.

Perhaps the worst outcome of all would be for the Supreme Court to split on ideological lines, as it did in Bush v. Gore, hardly its finest hour. Justices have fretted about the damage to their “legitimacy” when their decisions look like political choices. They often are, as so many recent cases have revealed, but when the stakes are this high, the best political choice for the justices is to avoid final judgment on contested matters of fact and law and to let the people decide.
In the Nixon era, the justices were shrewd enough to stand together in delivering their decision: It was handed down 8-0, with one recusal. In our moment, the Supreme Court must do the same.
This will require considerable diplomacy from Chief Justice John Roberts, and it will define his stewardship as profoundly as cases such as Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, in which his effort to herd his colleagues into consensus failed. In this situation, unlike that one, it will require him to convince his liberal colleagues who might otherwise dissent. For their part, they ought to be able to anticipate the high and unpredictable costs of presuming that judges can save a nation on the brink of breakdown.
The truth is that this country has to be allowed to save itself. The Supreme Court must act, but only to place the burden on Mr. Trump’s political opponents to make their case in the political arena. Not just to criticize him for his turpitude, but to argue that their own policies benefit the disaffected voters who side with a charlatan again and again.

Sort of like when George W Bush reasoned that since 15 of the 19 9/11 attackers were from Saudi Arabia, and since Al Qaeda operated out of Afghanistan, therefore we should invade Iraq.
You left out the part where where 28 Democrats including Biden, Hillary, Schumer, Kerry, Tom Harkin, Dodd, Joe Lieberman and Tom Daschle voted to go to war. It was a bi partisan effort. History is not your strong suit, stick with the 20 question polls please...

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
You left out the part where where 28 Democrats including Biden, Hillary, Schumer, Kerry, Tom Harkin, Dodd, Joe Lieberman and Tom Daschle voted to go to war. It was a bi partisan effort. History is not your strong suit, stick with the 20 question polls please...
Haven't thought about Tom Harkin in a long long time. Was a fighter pilot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT