ADVERTISEMENT

New Spring Depth Chart

That's fine as long as Boone then moves to guard. He's a pretty good as a road grader.

Oh. So you want a true Freshman playing LT? Give me a break. If they would have played Boone at LT all year (like the year before when we were 12-0) then he would have more experience than switching mid season. Huge difference between G and T. But you already know own that, right "coach"?

Reactions: cmhawks99
Oh. So you want a true Freshman playing LT? Give me a break. If they would have played Boone at LT all year (like the year before when we were 12-0) then he would have more experience than switching mid season. Huge difference between G and T. But you already know own that, right "coach"?
Just an update their sport, A Jackson is not a true freshman. He was on the team last year and redshirted. He was highly recruited by schools like Michigan, and at 6'7" and 320lbs he has the frame and reach to be a true tackle prospect we havent had for awhile.

Just an update their sport, A Jackson is not a true freshman. He was on the team last year and redshirted. He was highly recruited by schools like Michigan, and at 6'7" and 320lbs he has the frame and reach to be a true tackle prospect we havent had for awhile.

My bad on the RS part. And I don't doubt Jackson's pedigree. Boone has a ton of experience on OL. He was moved inside last year then back out to LT. That's not easy to do. The OL is the least of my concerns for this year. I just want the best group out there that gives us the best chance to have a GREAT season. Not an average one

My bad on the RS part. And I don't doubt Jackson's pedigree. Boone has a ton of experience on OL. He was moved inside last year then back out to LT. That's not easy to do. The OL is the least of my concerns for this year. I just want the best group out there that gives us the best chance to have a GREAT season. Not an average one
As do most of us I think!

I didn't say that's what I wanted. I was responding to a hypothetical. If Jackson is that good then keep Boone in the lineup. I seriously doubt that happens. It's a message board where there is discussion. OK there COACH. Good Lord!!

Yes and No

Rutgers has had like 4 or 5 NFL receivers in the last 8 years. Im not talking practice players either.

Rutgers.....yes Rutgers. A perennially bad team that doesn't throw the ball well or often.
You might malign Rutgers, however they also happen to be sitting on a pretty good bed of high school talent. Traditionally Jersey kids weren't terribly loyal to Rutgers ... traditionally many went to places more like Penn State, Syracuse, or Boston College ... among other programs. However, under Schiano, Rutgers built itself enough of a loyal following among high schools that its been well stocked with talent for years.

Between the greater Philly metro area and the greater Newark/New York City metro area ... combined with a surprisingly fertile south Jersey bed of talent ... the talent draw at a place like Rutgers is potentially much higher (especially when you consider that ultimately kids often prefer to stay close to home).

The places where Iowa might have been considered to have a better chance of potentially drawing elite WRs would be from the Chicago metro area or the St. Louis metro area. Unfortunately, Notre Dame has traditionally had the pick of the draw in Chicagoland at WR ... and Missouri, under Pinkel, developed very strong inroads into St. Louis. Consequently, Iowa has been typically have sloppy seconds, at the very best, when it comes to getting skill players out of those regions. I would mention Kansas City area ... but they've traditionally been more Big 12 territory (or a draw to Nebraska).

I didn't say that's what I wanted. I was responding to a hypothetical. If Jackson is that good then keep Boone in the lineup. I seriously doubt that happens. It's a message board where there is discussion. OK there COACH. Good Lord!!
If Jackson played he wouldn't be displacing Boone from the line-up. Rather, it would simply push Render to being the 6th man.

Boone started the '16 season at OG ... so it's not out of the realm of possibility for him to go back to that spot.

If Jackson played he wouldn't be displacing Boone from the line-up. Rather, it would simply push Render to being the 6th man.

Boone started the '16 season at OG ... so it's not out of the realm of possibility for him to go back to that spot.

Yes if AJ cracked the top five Boone would still be in there. I actually think they would put AJ at lg and keep Boone at tackle. But it is possible that Boone could go back to lg and AJ at LT.

I think that a healthy Boone Myers is more than adequate at LT. The line performed better with him as an LT than it did as a LG, although it is hard to know what amount of that is due to the fact that Croston was trying to play through injury at LT.

I thought that Render played pretty well at LG, and certainly got better as the season progressed. The one caveat there is that I did not see the Penn State game. I don't think anyone on the OL had a particularly good game against Penn State.

I will have no significant concerns if the starters are Myers at LT and Render at LG, or if Jackson beats out Myers at LT and Myers moves inside. I think that this is going to be a very good OL unit if it stays healthy. One of the problems last year was that every single starter on the line missed at least 1 game due to injury.

Reactions: buchs and millhawk
You might malign Rutgers, however they also happen to be sitting on a pretty good bed of high school talent. Traditionally Jersey kids weren't terribly loyal to Rutgers ... traditionally many went to places more like Penn State, Syracuse, or Boston College ... among other programs. However, under Schiano, Rutgers built itself enough of a loyal following among high schools that its been well stocked with talent for years.

Between the greater Philly metro area and the greater Newark/New York City metro area ... combined with a surprisingly fertile south Jersey bed of talent ... the talent draw at a place like Rutgers is potentially much higher (especially when you consider that ultimately kids often prefer to stay close to home).

The places where Iowa might have been considered to have a better chance of potentially drawing elite WRs would be from the Chicago metro area or the St. Louis metro area. Unfortunately, Notre Dame has traditionally had the pick of the draw in Chicagoland at WR ... and Missouri, under Pinkel, developed very strong inroads into St. Louis. Consequently, Iowa has been typically have sloppy seconds, at the very best, when it comes to getting skill players out of those regions. I would mention Kansas City area ... but they've traditionally been more Big 12 territory (or a draw to Nebraska).

I agree that there are other factors involved and Iowa will always be at a little bit of a disadvantage when it comes to recruiting. That is where I want to see the most improvement with this new staff shake-up. Think there needs to be an emphasis on recruiting and especially RB and WR positions. We have shown to be competent in all other areas of football operations but that one spot.

At the same time we put up top 15 facilities and pay good money with great fan support. It isnt insane to want more consistency as a top program as a fan.

I think that a healthy Boone Myers is more than adequate at LT. The line performed better with him as an LT than it did as a LG, although it is hard to know what amount of that is due to the fact that Croston was trying to play through injury at LT.

I thought that Render played pretty well at LG, and certainly got better as the season progressed. The one caveat there is that I did not see the Penn State game. I don't think anyone on the OL had a particularly good game against Penn State.

I will have no significant concerns if the starters are Myers at LT and Render at LG, or if Jackson beats out Myers at LT and Myers moves inside. I think that this is going to be a very good OL unit if it stays healthy. One of the problems last year was that every single starter on the line missed at least 1 game due to injury.
I agree, should they enjoy good health ... the '17 OL could be a pretty special unit.

As for worries that other fans might have concerning skill players - our situation there should be better in '17 as compared to '16. What hurt us in '16, as much as anything, were injuries and inexperience. The odds for more guys emerging are increasing. It's too bad that we'll have to break in a new QB ... but apart from that, we should be okay.

Thank you jdv77. Your one of the few that GETS it on this topic.

Ahhh. Breathe it in all. Spring has sprung.
Hear the beautiful mating calls of the Whiners looking for their Whining About Whiners soulmates.
Love is in the air!

Well, which scholarship offered to the son of a member of the staff was a wrong decision? Brian and James Ferentz were multi-year starters. James Morris was a multi-year starter. Are there any scholarship players that I am missing?
The nepotism claim is an odd one - James Ferentz is still playing in the league, Brian Ferentz has been sought out as a coaching candidate (as evidenced in interviews of O'Brien), and Morris was still earning an NFL paycheck (the last I heard). It seems like other folks have liked the guys other than just Kirk.

Thank you jdv77. Your one of the few that GETS it on this topic.

Who doesn't get it. From what I've read from others, everyone is pretty much saying the same thing. The problem seems to be that you're having a hard time interpreting what others are saying.

Reactions: millhawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT