ADVERTISEMENT

New UI president to appear on 'Iowa Press'

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Should be interesting:

Bruce Harreld, the new president of the University of Iowa, is scheduled to discuss the future of the university during this week's taping of the Iowa Public Television program "Iowa Press."

Harreld, 64, will be joined for the discussion by Dean Borg, moderator; Kay Henderson, news director for Radio Iowa; and James Lynch, political reporter for the Cedar Rapids Gazette.

The program will be recorded Tuesday and broadcast 9 p.m. Friday and noon Sunday on IPTV and 8:30 a.m. Saturday IPTV WORLD. The program will be available online beginning Friday evening at www.iptv.org/iowapress.

Harreld, a former IBM executive with no experience in university administration, began last week as UI's 21st president. Since being selected Sept. 3 by a unanimous Iowa Board of Regents, he has been reaching out to many on campus who have openly questioned his qualifications for the job. Higher education experts say that, unless he can win over his critics, he will be unable to succeed in his new role.

Hundreds protested on campus during Harreld's first day on the job, but members of the local business communities have sought out his leadership on regional economic development. In addition to his 13 years at IBM, Harrreld has served as an executive at Boston Chicken and Kraft Foods and taught in the business schools of Harvard and Northwestern universities.

In an interview last month with the Press-Citizen, Harreld said said he has no plans to overhaul key administrators or begin a top-down reorganization of an institution he is still getting to know. He is meeting, however, with various groups on campus to identify five or six main themes that will help position UI for success decades down the road.

“I say to my friends, we’ve been around since 1847,” Harreld said. “We look a lot different today than we did in 1847. And if we’re going to be around another 168 years, we’re going need to plot a course that takes us very different from where we are. What’s that next series of steps? That’s a process. I’m very proud of understanding how to do that. We did it very well at IBM.”

http://www.press-citizen.com/story/.../new-ui-president-appear-iowa-press/75456636/

Should be interesting:

Bruce Harreld, the new president of the University of Iowa, is scheduled to discuss the future of the university during this week's taping of the Iowa Public Television program "Iowa Press."

Harreld, 64, will be joined for the discussion by Dean Borg, moderator; Kay Henderson, news director for Radio Iowa; and James Lynch, political reporter for the Cedar Rapids Gazette.

The program will be recorded Tuesday and broadcast 9 p.m. Friday and noon Sunday on IPTV and 8:30 a.m. Saturday IPTV WORLD. The program will be available online beginning Friday evening at www.iptv.org/iowapress.

Harreld, a former IBM executive with no experience in university administration, began last week as UI's 21st president. Since being selected Sept. 3 by a unanimous Iowa Board of Regents, he has been reaching out to many on campus who have openly questioned his qualifications for the job. Higher education experts say that, unless he can win over his critics, he will be unable to succeed in his new role.

Hundreds protested on campus during Harreld's first day on the job, but members of the local business communities have sought out his leadership on regional economic development. In addition to his 13 years at IBM, Harrreld has served as an executive at Boston Chicken and Kraft Foods and taught in the business schools of Harvard and Northwestern universities.

In an interview last month with the Press-Citizen, Harreld said said he has no plans to overhaul key administrators or begin a top-down reorganization of an institution he is still getting to know. He is meeting, however, with various groups on campus to identify five or six main themes that will help position UI for success decades down the road.

“I say to my friends, we’ve been around since 1847,” Harreld said. “We look a lot different today than we did in 1847. And if we’re going to be around another 168 years, we’re going need to plot a course that takes us very different from where we are. What’s that next series of steps? That’s a process. I’m very proud of understanding how to do that. We did it very well at IBM.”

http://www.press-citizen.com/story/.../new-ui-president-appear-iowa-press/75456636/

I know you're really pulling for him to do well. Since you want him to succeed so badly and all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT