ADVERTISEMENT

Former teammate of transgender NCAA champion to speak at UI

American politics in 2024:

The far right: trans people are severely mentally ill, child groomers and pedophiles.

The far left: there is no evidence testosterone impacts athletic performance and they should have every right/privilege as if they were biologically their gender - you are scum if you disagree or use the wrong pronouns.

The VAST MAJORITY of us: trans people deserve to be treated with the respect, dignity and equality afforded to all humans, but that doesn’t give them the right to an unfair/non-equitable advantage in sports.

This is NOT hard and the Dems would be very very wise to simply drop the issue. Don’t amplify, allow regulating bodies to course correct (which they are coming around to now) and move on. By fighting it you destroy more equity than you create and alienate a large percentage of people who would otherwise be inclined to take your side. If it is truly a non-issue then treat it like a non-issue,

I'm dead serious. Almost no athletes, regardless of gender, will ever face a trans opponent.
So using your logic, very few women will ever actually be raped, so should we just ignore it when someone actually is raped?

American politics in 2024:

The far right: trans people are severely mentally ill, child groomers and pedophiles.

The far left: there is no evidence testosterone impacts athletic performance and they should have every right/privilege as if they were biologically their gender - you are scum if you disagree or use the wrong pronouns.

The VAST MAJORITY of us: trans people deserve to be treated with the respect, dignity and equality afforded to all humans, but that doesn’t give them the right to an unfair/non-equitable advantage in sports.

This is NOT hard and the Dems would be very very wise to simply drop the issue. Don’t amplify, allow regulating bodies to course correct (which they are coming around to now) and move on. By fighting it you destroy more equity than you create and alienate a large percentage of people who would otherwise be inclined to take your side. If it is truly a non-issue then treat it like a non-issue,
The far left: there is no evidence testosterone impacts athletic performance

Who said that in this thread? I've asked people over and over to tell me the testosterone cut off and if that applied to all people or just those born with penises.

and they should have every right/privilege as if they were biologically their gender- you are scum if you disagree or use the wrong pronouns.

Of course we think they should have the same rights. Really says something about you if you think differently.

• Haha
Reactions: ClarindaA's

Who said that in this thread? I've asked people over and over to tell me the testosterone cut off and if that applied to all people or just those born with penises.

and they should have every right/privilege as if they were biologically their gender- you are scum if you disagree or use the wrong pronouns.

Of course we think they should have the same rights. Really says something about you if you think differently.
You laugh because you couldn't win the argument. But then, you think you can fix covid with a back adjustment.

See post 88 and subsequent posts by huey.

The second part was poor wording. Of course they should have equal rights as I stated. My issue is with the vehemence on pronouns when you get it wrong (which I have accidentally done and I got crucified for a simple error). Everyone should assume the best intent initially and lighten the f*ck up.

See post 88 and subsequent posts by huey.

The second part was poor wording. Of course they should have equal rights as I stated. My issue is with the vehemence on pronouns when you get it wrong (which I have accidentally done and I got crucified for a simple error). Everyone should assume the best intent initially and lighten the f*ck up.
Why should people assume the best intents? Have you read this board?

Why should people assume the best intents? Have you read this board?
A massive percentage of our issue today is that we misunderstand the intent of others.

I am sure 99.99% of Trans people reading at a library are NOT grooming kids to be trans. They are giving back to their community. But certain right wing nutbags assume differently.

Most Americans that want a stronger border are not xenophobic, they just want legal immigration. But certain left wing zealots assume differently.

When we assume the motivation of others is nefarious or evil we create an environment that dehumanizes others, and hampers constructive debate.

Feel free to read bad shit into everyone’s actions, but your way fosters division and mine fosters inclusion.

A massive percentage of our issue today is that we misunderstand the intent of others.

I am sure 99.99% of Trans people reading at a library are NOT grooming kids to be trans. They are giving back to their community. But certain right wing nutbags assume differently.

Most Americans that want a stronger border are not xenophobic, they just want legal immigration. But certain left wing zealots assume differently.

When we assume the motivation of others is nefarious or evil we create an environment that dehumanizes others, and hampers constructive debate.

Feel free to read bad shit into everyone’s actions, but your way fosters division and mine fosters inclusion.
You're free to ignore how people act and just assume that in each new interaction that their actions are made with the best of intents despite what they've done in the past.
I think that's naive, but it's your call.

You're free to ignore how people act and just assume that in each new interaction that their actions are made with the best of intents despite what they've done in the past.
It could be like a couple guys I know that, sure, the N word slips out now an then (or every conversation). But not in a mean way, only in the best of intended way. They just have so many Black friends, it is part of their adopted culture and vocabulary now.

From your prior posts I am more aligned with you politically than not. Having said that, assuming those that disagree with you are automatically hateful is a naive point of view IMO. Sure some are, but the good news is they tend to wear bright red hats and wave flags - so they are easy to spot. Most people in my experience are trying to find common ground. I choose to honor that as I believe throwing up roadblocks is a great way to go nowhere.

Anyway, we apparently have different opinions on how (or whether) to bridge the divides in our country and that’s ok.

Last edited:
I can't believe this has gone on for 7 pages when there's nothing controversial about this. Dudes who feel pretty are still dudes. The Thomas dude shouldn't be swimming in competitions with girls, and he shouldn't be changing in girls' locker rooms.

He has the right to swim in the pool, he has the right to swim in competition against other dudes. HIS rights haven't been infringed just because HE wants to be a she.

From your prior posts I am more aligned with you politically than not. Having said that, assuming those that disagree with you are automatically hateful is a naive point of view IMO. Sure some are, but the good news is they tend to wear bright red hats and wave flags - so they are easy to spot. Most people in my experience are trying to find common ground. I choose to honor that as I believe throwing up roadblocks is a great way to go nowhere.

Anyway, we apparently have different opinions on how (or whether) to bridge the divides in our country and that’s ok.
Not at all. I assume that those who have been hateful in the past have hateful motivations unless proven otherwise.
My dad has worn a MAGA hat, I don't think he's awful. I think he watches WAY to much fox news and has become very scared of everything because of it.
But he's not a bigot.
There are similar people on this board. Old and scared of everything and it colors their political views. I don't think they're bigots, I think they're sad.
On the other hand, if you're trying to pass laws based on bigotry I'm going to assume you're a bigot going forward until there is significant reason not to.
We have many bigots on this board. They have not been shy about sharing that bigotry. I will continue to assume that what they say is rooted in that until there is significant reason not to.
I don't begrudge you your approach, but I don't share it.

You know what is odd about this discussion, you never hear of biological women/transmen begging to compete in men's leagues against biological men. I know weird, huh........

That would be an interesting point if it were actually true. But it’s not. You’re just phobic.

Reactions: BelemNole
You know what is odd about this discussion, you never hear of biological women/transmen begging to compete in men's leagues against biological men. I know weird, huh........

That would be an interesting point if it were actually true. But it’s not. You’re just phobic. You don’t ”hear about it” because that doesn’t fit the Magat narrative that trans women are a bunch of predators preying on innocent little girls and boys. You know like priests, law enforcement officers, teachers, Magat politicians and other so-called ”normal” straight men.

Reactions: BelemNole
Not at all. I assume that those who have been hateful in the past have hateful motivations unless proven otherwise.
My dad has worn a MAGA hat, I don't think he's awful. I think he watches WAY to much fox news and has become very scared of everything because of it.
But he's not a bigot.
There are similar people on this board. Old and scared of everything and it colors their political views. I don't think they're bigots, I think they're sad.
On the other hand, if you're trying to pass laws based on bigotry I'm going to assume you're a bigot going forward until there is significant reason not to.
We have many bigots on this board. They have not been shy about sharing that bigotry. I will continue to assume that what they say is rooted in that until there is significant reason not to.
I don't begrudge you your approach, but I don't share it.
I'm scared of wearing compression socks like some old bag of goo! 🤣

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT