ADVERTISEMENT

Former teammate of transgender NCAA champion to speak at UI

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Here we go again! YAF doubling down on wingnut talking points. :

The University of Iowa chapter of conservative student group Young Americans for Freedom next week will welcome to campus the former teammate of transgender NCAA Division I national champion swimmer Lia Thomas for a talk titled, “Men do not belong in women’s sports.”

Former University of Pennsylvania swimmer Paula Scanlan’s lecture and question-and-answer session “will highlight the importance of protecting women’s spaces — including sports, bathrooms, and prisons,” according to a news release from Young Americans for Freedom at the University of Iowa.

“Scanlan will share how radical gender ideology is destroying women’s sports, in addition to championing freedom and the challenges she has overcome to share this message.”

The 7 p.m. lecture on Monday will occur in the Blackbox Theater of the Iowa Memorial Union on the UI campus, where the same student group a year ago hosted conservative commentator Matt Walsh as part of his nationwide “What is a Woman” documentary tour.

Scanlan starred in Walsh’s documentary before testifying in July before the House Judiciary Committee about “The dangers and due process violations of ‘gender-affirming care’ for children.”

Do you honestly think it is fair to allow a trans biological male to compete in women’s sports? There is a reason we separate sports into these two broad categories. If we let biological males compete against women then by the age of 16 or so very few female athletes would stand a chance of making a team or competing at a varsity level. All sports would be dominated by men.

The GOP are not the nuts on this topic (a rarity for me to admit on a social issue). We can all agree that trans people should be treated equally and fairly. But if they have an unfair advantage, for instance by going through male puberty, then that unfair advantage must also be taken into account in the spirit of fairness to the other athletes. Either they compete in their biological gender category, compete in an open category or don’t compete. Those are the fairest options for all.

What is truly nutty is not recognizing that the ”equity” people try to impose in favor of trans athletes is actually making sport less equitable for others.

I still have zero idea nor do I understand how people defend biological men competing in women's sports.

Even when asked and a person goes "well you see they....." they immediately lose me.

If I found out that a father in my town was some youth sports psycho and held his son back 2 years to compete in the grade group with my child I'd be pissed. I can't imagine having a daughter compete against a fully developed male in HS age and beyond.

I have said this before; but why not let the women decide if biological men should be allowed in their sport, bathroom, etc…? It is comical to me that most of the people fighting to allow this are biological straight men. The same group is against anyone telling a woman what she can do with her own body, but doesn’t want to give them a voice on this.

I have said this before; but why not let the women decide if biological men should be allowed in their sport, bathroom, etc…? It is comical to me that most of the people fighting to allow this are biological straight men. The same group is against anyone telling a woman what she can do with her own body, but doesn’t want to give them a voice on this.
Great idea, I'm sure if one girl feels embarrassed to undress in front a man in the women's locker room, she wouldn't feel any pressure to conform. No one should have to make that stand, common sense needs to prevail, period.:rolleyes:

The University of Iowa chapter of conservative student group Young Americans for Freedom next week will welcome to campus the former teammate of transgender NCAA Division I national champion swimmer Lia Thomas for a talk titled, “Men do not belong in women’s sports.”

Former University of Pennsylvania swimmer Paula Scanlan’s lecture and question-and-answer session “will highlight the importance of protecting women’s spaces — including sports, bathrooms, and prisons,” according to a news release from Young Americans for Freedom at the University of Iowa.

“Scanlan will share how radical gender ideology is destroying women’s sports, in addition to championing freedom and the challenges she has overcome to share this message.”

The 7 p.m. lecture on Monday will occur in the Blackbox Theater of the Iowa Memorial Union on the UI campus, where the same student group a year ago hosted conservative commentator Matt Walsh as part of his nationwide “What is a Woman” documentary tour.

Scanlan starred in Walsh’s documentary before testifying in July before the House Judiciary Committee about “The dangers and due process violations of ‘gender-affirming care’ for children.”

Ciggy, this really isn't a hill the Dems should dying on. And pretending that it's not a problem is going to cost them.

Is it as big of a problem as many of the other issues out there? No. But it doesn't have to be. All that has to happen is for people to hear about it happening to worry about it. And if the Dems in general decide to come out and say Lia Thomas had no unfair advantage and won all his medals legitimately, it is really going to cost them.

The Thomas thing is so over the top perfect for conservatives anyways. Thomas clearly looks like a man and still has a penis. It is also not even disputed that officials expected these young women to change in the same locker room as Thomas which caused at least one of them to change I believe in a broom closet because of it.
At the very least the Dems should be saying that Trans women who have gone through puberty as males should not be competing in women's sports. Because the optics of defending Thomas or appearing to defend Thomas don't look good for you.

Only the most hardcore far leftists out there would be cool with their college daughter being forced to change in front of someone like Thomas. And many of the women reported feeling very uncomfortable with the arrangement. You can't tell me that is ok. If you with a comment, even if you didn't intend it to be like this make a woman feel uncomfortable, that's generally seen as harassment. But you are telling me it's A'OK to make them change in front of a trans woman that has a penis no matter their discomfort.

Last edited:
Ciggy, this really isn't a hill the Dems should dying on. And pretending that it's not a problem is going to cost them.

Is it as big of a problem as many of the other issues out there? No. But it doesn't have to be. All that has to happen is for people to hear about it happening to worry about it. And if the Dems in general decide to come out and say Lia Thomas had no unfair advantage and won all his medals legitimately, it is really going to cost them.
It's not a problem at all. Let's get real.

This is the person that is coming to the UI campus to speak about this, who was promptly also branded a wingnut by our resident left wing copy/paste machine:
74974183-12471635-image-m-41_1693600264641.jpg

Translation: you've got nothing. Damages in court have to be real. So unless they can prove real damages cause they saw a naked trans woman, they are probably screwed.
You don't think biological men competing in women's sports is a problem?

And don't get cute, the post you responded to didn't include the words damages or court. It was in response to saying supporting this nonsense makes Dems look stupid

To me, this transgender issue doesn't seem hard:
  • First and foremost, respect people. Treat others the way you, yourself want to be treated
  • No transition surgeries until you're an adult
  • No biological men in women's sports
  • Create environments for privacy for all. Young girls already struggle with their bodies, so privacy for biological and non-biological females seems like a win-win, e.g., separate shower stalls, toilets, etc. (Heck, even young lads often struggle. My son told me he's not showering at summer camp. It's uncomfortable.)
Aside from that, I'm not sure I care how a person identifies in day-to-day life. Seriously, do I care that a person born male, now identifying as female, drops off my Amazon package or is the CEO of my company? Nope. I care about competence. Do I understand it? Nope. But I don't understand the draw to the opera either. :cool:

It's not a problem at all. Let's get real.

It is if your daughter is being asked to change in front of a person with a penis.

It is if your daughter would have won a trophy, maybe a chance to compete at a higher level but got beat out by a person that was a man 2 years ago.

This is a problem and Dems are ignoring it to the point where it looks very much like they support this.

Answer the question are you ok with those young women being told they had to share a locker room, change in front of and shower around Lia Thomas a person who very much still resembles a man. Yes or no answer, don't avoid the question by claiming it's not a problem because it very much was a problem for these women. Many of whom, both teammates and opponents alike felt uncomfortable.

To me, this transgender issue doesn't seem hard:
  • First and foremost, respect people. Treat others the way you, yourself want to be treated
  • No transition surgeries until you're an adult
  • No biological men in women's sports
  • Create environments for privacy for all. Young girls already struggle with their bodies, so privacy for biological and non-biological females seems like a win-win, e.g., separate shower stalls, toilets, etc. (Heck, even young lads often struggle. My son told me he's not showering at summer camp. It's uncomfortable.)
Aside from that, I'm not sure I care how a person identifies in day-to-day life. Seriously, do I care that a person born male, now identifying as female, drops off my Amazon package or is the CEO of my company? Nope. I care about competence. Do I understand it? Nope. But I don't understand the draw to the opera either. :cool:

I think the last one is going to be a bit difficult. There arn't that many people who are transgender I think so you are talking about adding a 3rd or possibly 4th bathroom type and in gyms and such locker rooms for only a few people.

Best case scenario IMO is having specific restrooms and locker rooms that are essentially proclaimed as being open and anyone can use them. But even then in some places where there might only be 2 locker rooms you are kind of putting them into a "what do we do" sort of scenario.

Please explain how changing in front of a transgendered woman caused demonstrable damages? Because that's what their lawsuit claims. Just one of the reasons why it will likely fail.

How come it wasn't ok for Trump to walk through the changing rooms at the Ms America pageant but this is???

I would say in both cases changing in front of a man or "person with a penis" if you prefer might make those young women uncomfortable.

It is if your daughter is being asked to change in front of a person with a penis.

It is if your daughter would have won a trophy, maybe a chance to compete at a higher level but got beat out by a person that was a man 2 years ago.

This is a problem and Dems are ignoring it to the point where it looks very much like they support this.

Answer the question are you ok with those young women being told they had to share a locker room, change in front of and shower around Lia Thomas a person who very much still resembles a man. Yes or no answer, don't avoid the question by claiming it's not a problem because it very much was a problem for these women. Many of whom, both teammates and opponents alike felt uncomfortable.
Dems don’t ignore it. They try and twist it into some anti trans bullshit to intimidate people away from the conversation.

It is about fairness in sports. Most people don’t give two shits if you want to play dress up and prance around.

Want to compete against women or stroll through a female locker room like Trump? Yeah, most normal people have a problem with that.

Last edited:
I think the last one is going to be a bit difficult. There arn't that many people who are transgender I think so you are talking about adding a 3rd or possibly 4th bathroom type and in gyms and such locker rooms for only a few people.

Best case scenario IMO is having specific restrooms and locker rooms that are essentially proclaimed as being open and anyone can use them. But even then in some places where there might only be 2 locker rooms you are kind of putting them into a "what do we do" sort of scenario.
I hear ya and I don't know what the answer is. I can tell you my son isn't comfortable strolling around with his twig and giggle berries hanging out in front of other boys. Now, introduce a vagina into the mix (in the lockerroom shower)...or vice versa.

Reactions: Hoosierhawkeye
Dems don’t ignore it. They try and twist it into some anti trans bullshit to intimidate people away from the conversation.

It is about fairness in sports. Most people don’t give to shits if you want to play dress up and prance around.

Want to compete against women or stroll through a female locker room like Trump? Yeah, most normal people have a problem with that.

They kind of do both. When this comes up especially with the most obvious ones like the Thomas situation they often go to the "not a real problem", why won't they focus on all these other problems rhetoric. Which to me sounds quite a bit like the Republicans after a mass shooting claiming that now isn't the time to talk about solutions to the mass shooting problem so soon after a mass shooting.

Both cases seem like just some way to avoid the problem and avoid taking a problematic stance.

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler

What’s your case for why the “wing nuts” are wrong?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT