ADVERTISEMENT

New York high school football coach suspended for running up score on undefeated opponent

Not sure why you claim this is a liberal policy considering the area of New York this is in is probably a lot more conservative than liberal, but I agree that it's bullshit. High school football isn't the peewee league. Kids need to learn that some times you get your ass kicked. Leave it at a running clock and that's it.

61 to 13 isn't even that bad. What a ridiculous rule. I don't love when teams run up the score. But some 42 point rule is just dumb. Way better mechanisms to stop teams from running up the score needlessly. What happens if the reserves were in and did it? Technically someone with an axe to grind could say they ran up the score. Does that sound petty, absolutely but we are talking local politics here. It appears to be a county rule.

Last edited:
Pierre beat Spearfish last night in the first round of South Dakota Class AA playoffs. Score was 103-0.

South Dakota AA is equivalent in class to Iowa 3A, for reference.

Seriously? I don't agree with the rule but 61-13 is an embarrassing beat down. Imagine this...ISU 61 Iowa 13.

Not that bad?
When you compare it to 103 to 0 or similar scores it is not. 61 to 13 is a blowout and sucks for the losing team. But it's not a score that you're going to think they were just running up the score.

When you compare it to 103 to 0 or similar scores it is not. 61 to 13 is a blowout and sucks for the losing team. But it's not a score that you're going to think they were just running up the score.
And if I compare 103-0 to GT beating Cumberland 222-0 it doesn't amount to much. What's the point? 61-13 is a blow out no matter who's playing and getting blown out is...bad..

And if I compare 103-0 to GT beating Cumberland 222-0 it doesn't amount to much. What's the point? 61-13 is a blow out no matter who's playing and getting blown out is...bad..
We are talking about suspending a coach a game over it. The point is this is your run of the mill blowout. Not something you look at and say that coach is garbage for running up the score

Reactions: unIowa
We are talking about suspending a coach a game over it. The point is this is your run of the mill blowout. Not something you look at and say that coach is garbage for running up the score
Well...I never said that. I said I didn't care for the rule. I also said getting beat 61-13 is bad. Especially bad if you went in as one of two undefeated teams. Again, if ISU beat Iowa by that score, there would be Hawkeyes on suicide watch.

South Dakota AA is this.

FIFY
aa_meeting-569fe6063df78cafda9efbbb.jpg

Some 8 man games in Iowa are brutal.
Played 8 man in Iowa. Some of the smaller schools in that division just have no chance. We were average to good, 6-3 or better each year and we probably averaged 30 kids 9-12. Some of the schools we played had 20 or less. Some of the better schools had 40-50 for an 8man team. When you get those bigger schools in the division against a smaller schools, you can see scores upward toward 80-0. It's hard to compete when you just don't have numbers to even field a practice squad.

Reactions: HockeyeHawkey
Seriously? I don't agree with the rule but 61-13 is an embarrassing beat down. Imagine this...ISU 61 Iowa 13.

Not that bad?
It’s a beat down but at least in Iowa, those types of scores are becoming quite commonplace across all classes. There was a 4A game (highest class) last week that was 90-0.

So the score actually isn’t that alarming to me.

Reactions: hawkcub
Dumb. Remember what happened in Super bowl LI when Atlanta pulled its starters after they led New England 28-3?

Reactions: seminoleed
Dumb. Remember what happened in Super bowl LI when Atlanta pulled its starters after they led New England 28-3?

I remember drifting away from the game for awhile and partying outside, and later walking by the TV and doing a double-take. WTF happened?

What kind of rule prevents you from winning by more than 42 points? Sounds like someone who made this rule was always a loser

So they have to continue playing the game… But they’re not allowed to score anymore? I don’t get it. Why don’t they call the game once it hits that score?

I know when I was playing high school ball in Iowa in the late 90s… My junior and senior years we probably finished only half of our games since so many were called by us being up by 50 points.

Ridiculous and terrible rule. However, that being said, it seems like this coach was very well aware of the rule, and he purposely tested it. Dumb rule, but I think he purposely broke it.

So they have to continue playing the game… But they’re not allowed to score anymore? I don’t get it. Why don’t they call the game once it hits that score?

I know when I was playing high school ball in Iowa in the late 90s… My junior and senior years we probably finished only half of our games since so many were called by us being up by 50 points.

I guess the coach is supposed to call the kneel-down play every down until the other team scores or time runs out?

JFC - the real world is going to be tough for kids if their feelings are hurt because their defense sucks in a high school football game. Guessing some mommy complained to the school

Reactions: Oldkeokukchief1970
They should run up the score even more in the season finale when he’s suspended. But what coach as their best players in the game up 35 in the 4th quarter. Typically your JV team would be in by then. Although the opposing coach had no problem with it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT