ADVERTISEMENT

New York Mayor Eric Adams accused of sexual assault

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
New York City Mayor Eric Adams was accused of committing sexual assault in 1993, according to a new court summons filed under New York’s Adult Survivors Act.
The summons were filed on Wednesday in New York State Supreme Court in Manhattan. Alongside Adams, the filing also names the New York Police Department’s transit bureau and the Guardian Association of the NYPD as defendants. News of the filing was first reported by the Messenger.

Keeping up with politics is easy with The 5-Minute Fix Newsletter, in your inbox weekdays.

According to the summons, the plaintiff — whom The Washington Post will not identify due to the nature of the case — was sexually assaulted by Adams in New York in 1993 while they both worked for the city. The plaintiff accuses Adams of sexual assault, battery and employment discrimination based on her gender and sex, as well as retaliation, hostile work environment and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Adams, in a statement sent through a City Hall spokesman, denied knowing the plaintiff.
“The mayor does not know who this person is," the spokesman said. “If they ever met, he doesn’t recall it. But he would never do anything to physically harm another person and vigorously denies any such claim.”

A lawyer for the plaintiff did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The lawsuit against Adams and the two departments asks for “an amount to be determined at trial but in no event less than” $5 million, alongside attorneys’ fees and interest.
Adams, who became mayor in 2022, previously served as an officer for the New York City Transit Police and later the NYPD for over 20 years.

The mayor also is facing scrutiny over a political matter. Earlier this month, FBI agents seized electronic devices, including phones, belonging to the mayor, according to his campaign attorney. The seizures are connected to a federal investigation into fundraising during Adams’s 2021 campaign.

Adams’s attorney, Boyd Johnson, told The Washington Post that Adams was not accused of “any wrongdoing.”
Gov. Kathy Hochul (D) signed the Adult Survivors Act into law last year, giving adult sexual assault survivors up to one year to file a lawsuit against their alleged attacker, regardless of when the alleged violation happened. The act is modeled on New York’s Child Victims Act, which was signed in 2019 and offered a similar opportunity for survivors of child sexual abuse to file suits against their alleged abusers.
The window to file such lawsuits under the law expires on November 24, which means an avalanche of civil filings have been made over the last month against powerful figures. Earlier in the time window, men including former president Donald Trump and disgraced comedian Bill Cosby were amongst those accused under the law.

30 yrs ago. There should be a statute of limitations….

Damned near impossible to prove or disprove something that long ago.

Where were you on the night of 17 August 1993?

Throwing up in the bathroom at Charlies Sports Bar in Coralville. (It happened a lot so I feel confident I am correct)

Looks like no details have been released yet. Not much choice but to wait and see where this goes.

Let me think a minute. It was a Tuesday, so I might have been off work. Depending on he timeframe we’re talking here, best guess is I was either at The Stonehouse on West 6th Street in Austin, or I was at Barton Springs. Spent a lot of summer days there when you could still hop over the fence.

As for Mayor Adams, he had better stop complaining about all the illegal immigrants wrecking his city. If he doesn’t, the next charge against him will be for something much more recent than 30 years ago.

The employment discrimination stuff definitely has a statue of limitations, so that dog isn't going to hunt.

No idea what the sexual assault limitation might be in New York.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
The employment discrimination stuff definitely has a statue of limitations, so that dog isn't going to hunt.

No idea what the sexual assault limitation might be in New York.
From the article:

Gov. Kathy Hochul (D) signed the Adult Survivors Act into law last year, giving adult sexual assault survivors up to one year to file a lawsuit against their alleged attacker, regardless of when the alleged violation happened. The act is modeled on New York’s Child Victims Act, which was signed in 2019 and offered a similar opportunity for survivors of child sexual abuse to file suits against their alleged abusers.

There was and it got lifted for 2 years as a result of metoo

And it's on the plaintiff to prove it happened.

So anything else you wanna try again on?

• Haha
Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
R.T. Grunts. They used to grill leathery ribeyes on Friday for 5.00, baked potato, salad, Texas Toast...
RT's was where the wrestlers would hang out at and threaten to beat people up after getting loaded. God I hated drunk wrestlers when I was out at the bars. Hungry, angry little guys who can't EVER back down from any real or perceived challenge.
But, I think it was the Nickelodeon being referenced.

Grunt's was the closest location to Mummy's. Where one of the Richard " Big Dick " Johnson county buildings are now. I remember the Nickelodeon being next to Tuck's, Hamburger Inn, etc...

You're right about the wrestlers. One 125 pound national champ found out the hard way not to mess with a 200 pound concrete guy. ( not me, I'm a lover not a fighter, employee of mine...)

Reactions: cigaretteman
Grunt's was the closest location to Mummy's. Where one of the Richard " Big Dick " Johnson county buildings are now. I remember the Nickelodeon being next to Tuck's, Hamburger Inn, etc...

You're right about the wrestlers. One 125 pound national champ found out the hard way not to mess with a 200 pound concrete guy. ( not me, I'm a lover not a fighter, employee of mine...)
He was probably coming on to the wrestler. Concrete guys are noted for being light in their loafers.

• Haha
Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
We wear Redwings not loafers. The closest I've ever come to a gay man was having to attend a Richard " Big Dick " Johnson County Board of Supervisors meeting trying to rezone my development. Cant swing a dead lesbian there without hitting a gay man...

We wear Redwings not loafers. The closest I've ever come to a gay man was having to attend a Richard " Big Dick " Johnson County Board of Supervisors meeting trying to rezone my development. Cant swing a dead lesbian there without hitting a gay man...
Good thing you said dead lesbian. The standard IC lesbian would have walked into RT's and kicked the asses of all the wrestlers and totally heterosexual concrete men in the place.

Reactions: cigaretteman
You ain't wrong...

9d5c44c1-958b-45c4-96b8-cadfac17768b-181206-Rettig-001.jpg

Our current board...
Board%20Pic%20%28002%29.jpg

V Fixmer_Oraiz
Iowa City, Iowa

Term expires: 12/31/2026

Email: vfixmeroraiz@johnsoncountyiowa.gov

V Fixmer-Oraiz was elected in 2022 and is the first transgender, Queer, Bi-racial county supervisor in Iowa. They have lived in Johnson County for over a decade and in that time graduated with a master’s degree in urban and regional planning from the University of Iowa and started their own environmental and community planning firm, Astig Planning.

A dedicated advocate for housing as a human right, they were fortunate to serve as Chair of Iowa City’s Housing and Community Development Commission and Vice President of the Johnson County Affordable Housing Commission. Their passion for social/racial equity and climate justice have resulted in receiving statewide planning awards for their work in watershed planning and were recognized by the Iowa Environmental Council with a 2022 Business Innovation Award for their focus on “transforming communities and landscapes through engagement,

• Haha
Reactions: EasyHawk
" They have lived in Johnson County for over a decade..." They describes one person? Help me out here wise O Louisa County Lib... :)
It's a thing, Pops. I don't worry about it. We are having a big meal tomorrow and one of my kid's is bringing a friend over who couldn't go home for the holiday. They are a they person. I'll manage.

• Haha
Reactions: EasyHawk
I thought you were going to Venmo me 69.00 to check on those Louisa County lumber rustlers on my way to play pickle ball in Muscatine, but so far nothing...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT