ADVERTISEMENT

newest FLO recruiting rankings

rossel 33

HB All-American
Jul 17, 2004
Looking at some of the top schools and who they got.

#11 ISU - none in top 10, highest recruit #13
10 NC - none in top 10, highest #19
9 Rutgers - none in top 10, #25
8 Okla - none in top 10, #20
7 Minn - none in top 10, #17
6 Iowa - one in top 10, #2
5 tOSU - one in top 10, #3
4 Missou - one in top 10, #4
3 Stanford - one in top 10, #8
2 Okla St - none in top 10, #12

aaaand.... drumroll .....

#1 PSU - 4 in top 10, #1,5,6,7,

PSU got as many top 10 recruits as the next 10 teams combined. History repeats itself.

It's been said ad nauseum, but one more time... until Iowa can come anywhere close to recruiting talent like PSU, they'll not win a team title. New wrestling facility and hard work aside, Iowa will be battling everyone else for 2nd.

PSU got as many top 10 recruits as the next 10 teams combined. History repeats itself.

It's been said ad nauseum, but one more time... until Iowa can come anywhere close to recruiting talent like PSU, they'll not win a team title. New wrestling facility and hard work aside, Iowa will be battling everyone else for 2nd.
PSU gets the recruits because they have the results. They will have another 3-4 champs next season as well. No one will catch Penn st until Cael hangs it up.

Why didn't you post this in:
2019?

I mean I remember what Alabama was when Shula was the coach there and now everyone wants to beat their ass. They get the pick of the litter. That's where PSU is now. They literally sit on probably the most fertile wrestling area outside of certain geolocations. So I give them credit because they should have been winning national championships. The problem is we need to pick our asses up by the big boy underwear, grab the bootstraps and start figuring out how it is done and what is needed to be done to beat them and I love the parity to be honest.

Reactions: mcpat
Why didn't you post this in:
2019?
docking GIF

I mean I remember what Alabama was when Shula was the coach there and now everyone wants to beat their ass. They get the pick of the litter. That's where PSU is now. They literally sit on probably the most fertile wrestling area outside of certain geolocations. So I give them credit because they should have been winning national championships. The problem is we need to pick our asses up by the big boy underwear, grab the bootstraps and start figuring out how it is done and what is needed to be done to beat them and I love the parity to be honest.
There is no parity. Wish there was. If Tom had it in him to figure it out and solve the problem, he would have by now.

I agree. It's going to be hard to catch PSU when they are getting that many top recruits. I've said it on here so many times. The only way they can catch up to PSU is if Iowa lands Bassett and other top tier recruits come along with him.

Reactions: Fan In Black
Thinking one elite recruit will start bringing a bunch of others in is just wishful thinking. People were saying Lee would have the same effect yet here we are just a couple years him removed from college but still in the room and still struggling to get the recruits we want and need. Lee moved the recruiting needle very little and a kid like Bassett would be the same. I hope like hell we get him but let’s not hang our recruiting hope on this. It’s the individual champion numbers that will start bringing elite recruits in.

Thinking one elite recruit will start bringing a bunch of others in is just wishful thinking. People were saying Lee would have the same effect yet here we are just a couple years him removed from college but still in the room and still struggling to get the recruits we want and need. Lee moved the recruiting needle very little and a kid like Bassett would be the same. I hope like hell we get him but let’s not hang our recruiting hope on this. It’s the individual champion numbers that will start bringing elite recruits in.
…. but it’s elite recruits that will bring in individual championships.

Agreed. At the same time we drop the ball when we have some of the kids we’ve had come through the past 10 years that should’ve won championships but don’t. Guys like Alex M and Kemereer that might not be considered elite compared to your Lees and Bassett need to be winning titles for Iowa first.

I consider recent recruits Arnold, Ferrari and Delucca all elite and title contender's in their careers. But yeah that probably isn't enough to take down PSU but certainly enough for me to enjoy over the years. Add in Cali, No brake Drake and Keuter, we really have a great team.

I can give you a scenario that could happen if Iowa lands Bassett. I have said this before and I will say it again. Let's say Iowa lands Bassett. Now the following year, a GOOD chance Melvin Miller comes since that is his cousin and I believe Bill Bassett is raising Melvin. Now the following year Bo's little brother Keegan comes. That's 3 legit high level top tier recruits within 3 years. Now let's take it a step further and say by them coming, it attracts a kid like Mario Hutcherson who is a Young Guns kid and trains at Bassetts place. That's 4 top tier recruits from PA. Now maybe it sways 1-3 more good recruits who want to jump on that train and be part of an exciting time that could be. You mean to tell me that wouldn't be huge for Iowa wrestling? It's wishful thinking, but also a good chance it could happen.

I consider recent recruits Arnold, Ferrari and Delucca all elite and title contender's in their careers. But yeah that probably isn't enough to take down PSU but certainly enough for me to enjoy over the years. Add in Cali, No brake Drake and Keuter, we really have a great team.
Arnold, Ferrari, Deluca, Kuerter, Ayala. Talented group for Iowa wrestling.

I can give you a scenario that could happen if Iowa lands Bassett. I have said this before and I will say it again. Let's say Iowa lands Bassett. Now the following year, a GOOD chance Melvin Miller comes since that is his cousin and I believe Bill Bassett is raising Melvin. Now the following year Bo's little brother Keegan comes. That's 3 legit high level top tier recruits within 3 years. Now let's take it a step further and say by them coming, it attracts a kid like Mario Hutcherson who is a Young Guns kid and trains at Bassetts place. That's 4 top tier recruits from PA. Now maybe it sways 1-3 more good recruits who want to jump on that train and be part of an exciting time that could be. You mean to tell me that wouldn't be huge for Iowa wrestling? It's wishful thinking, but also a good chance it could happen.
I mean I could paint a picture where Iowa lands ever top 10 pfp the next 10 years but that’s all it is; wishful thinking and assuming. I do hope you’re right and that scenario plays out as it would be awesome! Can you really name an ELITE recruit that picked Iowa because of Lee though. I know Lee was big in getting Desanto but I wouldn’t call him elite. Not trying to be a dick towards guys like him but truly elite guys are winning multiple titles and we’re not seeing that. Im just trying to say just cause you get one guy like Bassett he’s not going to change the whole recruiting landscape.

All I took from this is that PSU is going to get Bo, Miller, Keagan, and Hutcherson in the near future. Thanks 😅

I mean I could paint a picture where Iowa lands ever top 10 pfp the next 10 years but that’s all it is; wishful thinking and assuming. I do hope you’re right and that scenario plays out as it would be awesome! Can you really name an ELITE recruit that picked Iowa because of Lee though. I know Lee was big in getting Desanto but I wouldn’t call him elite. Not trying to be a dick towards guys like him but truly elite guys are winning multiple titles and we’re not seeing that. Im just trying to say just cause you get one guy like Bassett he’s not going to change the whole recruiting landscape.
It is not that Bassett will bring in that many elite recruits, but if you are doing the things to bring an elite recruit like Basset in, then you are doing the things to bring in other elite recruits.

Be Real Wake Up GIF by Last Man Standing

Agreed. At the same time we drop the ball when we have some of the kids we’ve had come through the past 10 years that should’ve won championships but don’t. Guys like Alex M and Kemereer that might not be considered elite compared to your Lees and Bassett need to be winning titles for Iowa first.
Alex M and Kennedy were top 6 pfp guys who underperformed or injured at nationals. Alex m looked like a champion every year until national’s.

Alex M and Kennedy were top 6 pfp guys who underperformed or injured at nationals. Alex m looked like a champion every year until national’s.
Looked like and was one are 2 different things. Those things matter to recruits.

The only way they get Bassett is because he idolizes Spencer. The allure of coming to Iowa and becoming the first four timer, while doing something Spencer couldn’t do might be the reason Bassett would chose Iowa. Highly unlikely to happen if you want the truth.

I don't think he changes the whole landscape but he can attract a few other top guys and that's a positive thing.

Reactions: el dub and tiltman

They sure are low in Merrill. Willie has him a close #2 behind LL and he’s #12 on Flo. Heck of a disparity

Reactions: tom_v31
I think some of the recruiting problem is getting guys who are limited offensively. PSU may take a guy with limited offense here and there (Facundo), but Cael prioritizes recruits that have a high offensive pace. If you have good defensive as well., great. Unfortunately, it feels like Arnold and other recent prize Brands recruits are high energy, hi pace, but limited offensively and not much tools (length) to work with. Arnold will be good, 3-4x AA likely. Likely not a multi champ. That’s the PSU bar. You best recruits have to have multi champ potential. I just don’t see that with Arnold, never saw it with AM, Kennedy,

Did something in the way your coaches train the team change that I missed?

Has anyone seen any Iowa coaches or former team members in photos at the Bassett’s Compound training with them? I have seen many other coaches and athletes representing their universities. lately being posted. Someone from here needs to be seen in these type pictures! Can’t put everything on Spencer and he is a little busy right now.

Has anyone seen any Iowa coaches or former team members in photos at the Bassett’s Compound training with them? I have seen many other coaches and athletes representing their universities. lately being posted. Someone from here needs to be seen in these type pictures! Can’t put everything on Spencer and he is a little busy right now.
Tom has been at the OTC with Spencer and Kueter.

Reactions: Hawkgma
I seen a photo today with Metcalf and St. John at Bassetts place. Then in a video you could see both of them standing right in the practice watching a few kids. It looked like Bo, Melvin, Hutcherson, and two other kids I couldn't tell who they were. Maybe the McMullen kid? Does anyone know if Iowa is planning to go out there? Also seen pics of V Tech in the practice the other day.

Great doesn’t get it done against PSU. which sucks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT