ADVERTISEMENT

Next NCAA championship-

Not being a smart ass but who was the last Iowa wrestler to widen the gap between a Psu rival? Bull/Cenzo were pretty equal throughout. I’m struggling to think of someone from Iowa in recent years who avenged a loss or close win to Psu and then separated themselves.
McIlravy?

Reactions: TarpHawk
I believe he has been enlisted with the Navy for the past year.
Enlisted with the Navy and enrolled at the Naval Academy are VERY different things... "Enlisted" Navy are not eligible to just show up from their aircraft carrier and participate for the Navy Wrestling team... The academy is a participating university in NCAA athletics.

I think he was on the correct path to join the Seals but after watching NCAA championships he got the itch to wrestle again, probably realizing the Seals can wait until after he's done wrestling. He reached out to the Navy coaching staff saying he may be interested in putting the shoes on again. I know the Iowa coaching staff has heard the same rumblings but not sure if they have actually spoke with Nate. If I were a betting man I would wager he is on Navy's wrestling roster next year!
Unless he is accepted at the Naval Academy, you will be losing that wager.

Military "prep schools" are no different than any other "prep" schools... essentially equivalent to a higher level hig school - they are NOT accredited for university (NCAA) status...
I think he’s talking potential pipeline.

I 100% stand behind my statement that Angelo will beat Barr and widen the gap.
I get it makes you feel good to challenge a guy to a bet of a donation of their choice.
I make some donations to things I feel are important, but I don't gamble.
Never have, never will.
I’ll believe it when I see it. As it currently is, the psu +1 bump is real and the Iowa -1 regression is a thing.

Reactions: Hawkgma
Military "prep schools" are no different than any other "prep" schools... essentially equivalent to a higher level hig school - they are NOT accredited for university (NCAA) status...
Yes, Iknow. However, they are the path that many athlete's are given to get into the academies. Many Ivies do as well.

Cory Clark - Jimmy Gulibon (sp)
I agree that Clark had a MUCH better career than Gulibon but I don't see where he widened the gap. The gap in career achievements was always wide. Clark's career went 5, 2, 2, 1. Gulibon's career went NQ, 5, R12, R16. The two careers aren't even comparable, and they only wrestled at the same weight one year in 2015. That happened to be Gulibon's best year where he beat Clark 8-5 in the dual but then Clark turned it around and won 7-5 in the NCAA Semis. To me, Clark was always the better collegiate wrestler. Gulibon regressed after that. He was a real head scratcher.

Last edited:
Reactions: el dub
I agree that Clark had a MUCH better career than Gulibon but I don't see where he widened the gap. The gap in career achievements was always wide. Clark's career went 5, 2, 2, 1. Gulibon's career went NQ, 5, R12, R16. The two careers aren't even comparable, and they only wrestled at the same weight one year in 2015. That happened to be Gulibon's best year where he beat Clark 8-5 in the dual but then Clark turned it around and won 7-5 in the NCAA Semis. To me, Clark was always the better collegiate wrestler. Gulibon regressed after that. He was a real head scratcher.
Gulibon beat Clark in the Dapper Dan senior year of HS. I think it was pretty one-sided. I assume that what the op was referring to widening the gap.

Being enlisted in the Navy and accepted at the Naval Academy are not the same thing.
I don't really know much about the SEAL training requirements, but I would assume that the SEALs are all officers, right? And therefore would have to go to the Naval Academy or a college ROTC? If he's been accepted by the Navy as one of their "elite of the elite", I would think enrolling at the Naval Academy would almost be a formality at that point. Are there any or have there ever been any SEALs who would not be able to get into the Naval Academy?

I don't really know much about the SEAL training requirements, but I would assume that the SEALs are all officers, right? And therefore would have to go to the Naval Academy or a college ROTC? If he's been accepted by the Navy as one of their "elite of the elite", I would think enrolling at the Naval Academy would almost be a formality at that point. Are there any or have there ever been any SEALs who would not be able to get into the Naval Academy?
I’d say most are not from the academy and being an officer is not required.

enrolling at the Naval Academy would almost be a formality
Formalities typically include getting a nomination from one's congressional representative or one of one's two state senators (can also get the VP and might qualify for one from the POTUS).

One can't be appointed a position in a US military academy without a nomination.

Academic-wise, most appointees are in the top third of their class.

Reactions: hlstone
No, enlisted men outnumber officers in the Naval special ops community by a ratio of 12-15 to 1.

Being a SEAL has nothing to do with being an officer. The Navy needs nuclear engineers, logisticians, pilots and SWOs from its service academy. Where SEALs come from is immaterial.

Don't get your hopes up is what he's saying.

But the staff is recruiting Blaze, Bassett and Forrest.

If we're not going after the Raney's that's a hugely missed opportunity.
Just saw Blaze's interview on Flo where he said his top 6 schools are "Cornell, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State...uh, I don't know, I probably missed a couple...oh, yeah, Iowa and Purdue."

Make of that what you will, but what I make of it is that he's leaning Cornell, and Iowa and Purdue didn't impress. But I know Telford can salvage it.

Just saw Blaze's interview on Flo where he said his top 6 schools are "Cornell, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State...uh, I don't know, I probably missed a couple...oh, yeah, Iowa and Purdue."

Make of that what you will, but what I make of it is that he's leaning Cornell, and Iowa and Purdue didn't impress. But I know Telford can salvage it.
At least we got a mention. It's better than not making the list or the old find out later we didn't even recruit them.

Reactions: el dub and TarpHawk

I was thinking the same thing. Rattled off the first 4 enthusiastically, then couldn’t remember his other 2 until the interviewer reminded him. I can now see why Willie said we are a no go. Surprised Purdue was the other one he forgot, since his brother goes there, but they are god awful. Telford not salvaging this one, going to have to go straight to the recruiting guru, MStar🤡

MAN, IOWA is just not making any headway at all!!! Someone, somewhere, posted something about some good news????

IOWA NEEDS A LOT OF IT RIGHT ABOUT NOW!!!

I was thinking the same thing. Rattled off the first 4 enthusiastically, then couldn’t remember his other 2 until the interviewer reminded him. I can now see why Willie said we are a no go. Surprised Purdue was the other one he forgot, since his brother goes there, but they are god awful. Telford not salvaging this one, going to have to go straight to the recruiting guru, MStar🤡
I'm going with he was toying with the other 4 and it's down to Purdue and Iowa 🤞

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT