ADVERTISEMENT

Next year's OL: could it be a brand new unit?

desihawk

HR Legend
Oct 1, 2002
I recall seeing posts in the mid-season indicating reports that the backup unit (comprising underclassmen) in practice is insanely good to the effect of being one of the best in the country. Granted I'm going by memory, which could be faulty, but that's what I recollect reading. What are the chances we didn't play these young guys for strategic (eligibility type) reasons and the OL next year going to be extremely good with the veterans serving in backup roles?

• Haha
Reactions: NoWokeBloke
I recall seeing posts in the mid-season indicating reports that the backup unit (comprising underclassmen) in practice is insanely good to the effect of being one of the best in the country. Granted I'm going by memory, which could be faulty, but that's what I recollect reading. What are the chances we didn't play these young guys for strategic (eligibility type) reasons and the OL next year going to be extremely good with the veterans serving in backup roles?
That sounds just like Kirk - playing 3-D chess with starting lineup decisions while everyone else plays checkers.

Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes
Does OP really believe we could have an entirely new ol next year consisting of players on the current roster?

Does OP really believe with all of the injuries and poor performance of the ol that we would simply sandbag it this year?

Barnett was singing the praises of the freshmen ol and said he was told by others who had been in and around the Iowa program longer than he has been, that this is one of the best groups of freshman that we have had. Nothing close to saying this is the best ol in the country.

You realize the offense that goes against Iowa's D in practice isn't the offense you see on Saturday, right?
I suppose you are going to tell me the scout team offense goes against the first team defense?
But you do realize they at times practice against each other and often times in individual drills right?

People vastly underestimate the pressure poor/predictable playcalling has on the oline. If there is no deep threat and no threat of a qb running/scree/wheel then there is nothing helping the oline.

It was also reported that Budmayr was a gift from Heaven.

Lesson - don't believe everything you read about behind-the-scenes quality regarding the offense, especially when it's over-the-top hyperbole.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT