ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year's Starting QB

If I was Labas I'd have my bags packed.
Much like Padilla and May, Labas tested the transfer portal waters last year and found no takers. May had to go the junior college route and Padilla had to walk on...much like 4 star Deuce Hogan who had to walk on to Kentucky the year before.

Either the Iowa coaches have a horrible eye for QBs or QBs come to Iowa and have the abilities coached right out of them.

Much like Padilla and May, Labas tested the transfer portal waters last year and found no takers. May had to go the junior college route and Padilla had to walk on...much like 4 star Deuce Hogan who had to walk on to Kentucky the year before.

Either the Iowa coaches have a horrible eye for QBs or QBs come to Iowa and have the abilities coached right out of them.
Or maybe by now it’s just clear that the passing scheme is broken and a change in passing game needs to happen.

they showed they were flexible enough to try new things in the run game, with mostly positive results. If they did anything similarly in the passing game it hasn’t worked - not aided by injuries tho to be fair,

Agree, Cade wasn't exactly impressing me before getting hurt again. His arm is very average, his accuracy was ho hum and he seemed kind of short. Deacon is just a hell no, he brings nothing to the table.
He may eat what's on the table....

Reactions: MVPFAN
The "it" factor your refer to is media hype and internal confidence. Stats don't lie. He was the 11th best QB in the Big 10 and will be coming off major knee surgery next year. It's highly unlikely he's be better than the 11th best QB next year, with a slew of elite gun slinger QBs joining the league next year.
I am going by what my eyes saw when he played for both Michigan and Iowa….IMHO I would take a gimpy McNamara over murders row of Petras, Padilla, Hogan, Labas, and May. Let’s face it - Tom Brady would have shitty stats under BF…

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
It was just announced that Cade is out for the remainder of the year. He has 1 year of eligibility remaining. It begs the question, assuming Hill finishes the season as a below avg Big 10 QB and the Hawks win 9 games, who do you want as your starter next year? Many will be quick to say Cade all the way, let's look at the numbers.

Through 5 games, Cade ranks 13th in the Big 10 in yards per game (101 yards: the top 10 QBs in the conference all average at least 175 yards or more), 13th in completion percentage (hitting just 51% in a dink and dump offense while the top 9 guys are all over 60%), and 13th in passer rating. Obviously, Hill's stats aren't much better, completing just 43% of his passes thus far, but you never know how much he'll improve.

With Brian calling the plays and QB guru Budmyr teaching mechanics, there is no guarantee Hill will ever get any better. Odds are, he will regress and become more conservative. But he's a big strong guy with some mobility and he's willing to throw the ball down the field.

If Cade is back to his gimpy and immobile early season form in the spring and Hill is slightly improved from his Michigan State debut, I'm probably giving the nod to Hill as the lesser of two evils. However, the coaching staff needs to do some soul searching and either once again rely on the portal (because they cannot develop QBs) or play one of the freshmen early and often. Marco Lainez is a 3 star who had some decent offers like Illinois and Maryland. Next year's QB recruit, Resar, is another 3 star with mostly MAC caliber offers and Indiana.

Without a QB next year, there will be no run game against decent opponents. Without a run game, we could be looking at a dumpster fire going up against the likes of Ohio State, Washington, USC, etc. The time is now to start thinking about next year's QB.
Does it matter? Our experts will wish for what someone else has anyway. Whoever signs with us won't be good enough to keep our fickle fans happy. Maybe in the next 27 years everyone will have to accept what it is is. We will field a team no matter what everyone thinks or likes.

• Haha
Reactions: DewHawk
Does it matter? Our experts will wish for what someone else has anyway. Whoever signs with us won't be good enough to keep our fickle fans happy. Maybe in the next 27 years everyone will have to accept what it is is. We will field a team no matter what everyone thinks or likes.
Don't really need to be an expert to determine that Hill has not been a good QB this year.

Cade has confirmed he's coming back with his 2 blown out knees and his 50% completion percentage. He's doing so without the benefit of practicing the past 2 years so the chances of him actually being BETTER following an ACL injury and another year away from football are slim to none. He will have even less mobility than he had this year as the Big 10's least mobile QB.

Deac is going to transfer down a level the moment the season ends. No question about it. He's taking away a D1 scholarship that he clearly doesn't deserve.

Labas may not even stick around until the end of the season. Kirk has already publicly degraded, makes it clear he has no desire to play him, and refuses to let him take a single snap.

So who's playing QB for Iowa next year when each of your top 3 QBs isn't one of the top 10 QBs in the Big 10? I think the answer is we pull Cade's NIL funds and invest in a new, healthy QB.

Last edited:
Cade's grade this season is an incomplete. He was already injured before taking a snap, didn't look great when he played, got zero help from a bad o-line and zero help from a poor wr group.
Any assessment of what he might bring in coming back from yet another major injury is loaded with caveats.

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
If being fickle means expecting an offense ranked better than last, then I guess I am fickle.

Cade has confirmed he's coming back with his 2 blown out knees and his 50% completion percentage. He's doing so without the benefit of practicing the past 2 years.

Deac is going to transfer down a level the moment the season ends.

Labas may not even stick around until the end of the season if Kirk continues to degrade him and refuses to let him take a single snap.

So who's playing QB for Iowa next year? I think the answer is we pull Cade's NIL funds and invest in a new, healthy QB.
I would agree with this. Terrific take.

If Cade is 80% healed, he will start, and Hill will have the required experience to be the anointed #2. Apparently, the guy's Iowa recruits are just not smart enough to understand the offense, but transfers can not only learn their old team's offense but ours as well, faster than those that have been in the program for years.

Reactions: Dr. Spaceman
Cade has confirmed he's coming back with his 2 blown out knees and his 50% completion percentage. He's doing so without the benefit of practicing the past 2 years so the chances of him actually being BETTER following an ACL injury and another year away from football are slim to none. He will have even less mobility than he had this year as the Big 10's least mobile QB.

Deac is going to transfer down a level the moment the season ends. No question about it. He's taking away a D1 scholarship that he clearly doesn't deserve.

Labas may not even stick around until the end of the season. Kirk has already publicly degraded, makes it clear he has no desire to play him, and refuses to let him take a single snap.

So who's playing QB for Iowa next year when each of your top 3 QBs isn't one of the top 10 QBs in the Big 10? I think the answer is we pull Cade's NIL funds and invest in a new, healthy QB.

This is absolutely the correct take on our situation. Cade can certainly come back to open arms and all the uncertainty his condition requires but the NIL money needs to move on to another prospect. Anyone thinking Hill has any business on the field is being willfully myopic. He can't run or pass effectively and his in-game decision making is highly suspect. The only way for him to avoid turnovers is to clam up even tighter making the offense even worse than it's current worst in the nation status. If that is possible. Dude REALLY needs to get in shape as well unless driving an 18 wheeler is his next career move.

That is your shortsighted analysis. I’m not surprised. Good thing I don’t have to look at this thread anymore.
What, exactly, is short-sighted about analysis by statistics?

Cade never looked good and couldn’t run for shit. And now…another major surgery under his ‘belt’? Yikes. Let’s move on to another QB1.

Cade never looked good and couldn’t run for shit. And now…another major surgery under his ‘belt’? Yikes. Let’s move on to another QB1.
I think we have to hope Cade is the guy. But they need to hit the portal and find a juco guy/FCS/Power 5 guy that has actually played and started a season in college football. How to get a guy like that to commit to iowa right now is beyond me. But they have to try. Or we are hoping and praying Lainez is ready because it’s not Hill and Labas.

I think we have to hope Cade is the guy. But they need to hit the portal and find a juco guy/FCS/Power 5 guy that has actually played and started a season in college football. How to get a guy like that to commit to iowa right now is beyond me. But they have to try. Or we are hoping and praying Lainez is ready because it’s not Hill and Labas.
I would also like to see them go the juco/FCS route.

Based on our bottom-level quarterback recruitment & development for several years running…it can be assumed Lainez won’t amount to much. Prove me wrong…please.

And why did Cade never look good. Hint - he lead a team to the playoffs. Lots of wanna be coaches only focusing on statistics, and missing the overall picture.

I’ll ask again - What is the “overall picture”?
The overall picure would be vastly improved if Ferentz retired, and we keep Parker, Woods, added the Kansas OC, and a comptenant head coach with Iowa ties. A QB succeeds if put in the position to win. Except for a few scripted plays each game, he never had a chance. And the injury made the situation worse. It's so obvious I will stop there.

Reactions: littlez
The overall picure would be vastly improved if Ferentz retired, and we keep Parker, Woods, added the Kansas OC, and a comptenant head coach with Iowa ties. A QB succeeds if put in the position to win. Except for a few scripted plays, he never had a chance. And the injury made the situation worse. It's so obvious I will stop there.
MacNamara will never be 100%. Move on w/out him.

Next.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT