ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year's Starting QB

I think we can safely say Hill is NOT the guy next year. And we cannot rely on a guy who’s been hurt for a year and a half and just tore his acl. So who is it going to be??
Assuming Cade has fully recovered - he should be, with almost a full year to do so by next fall, I would expect him to be the guy to beat. I don’t know that I really ever expected Hill to be THE guy, but 1) he’s played just 2 1/2 games, zero reason he can’t develop and 2) last night I thought he looked more comfortable than Purdue game, he just wasn’t asked to do much based on how the game unfolded. I do expect Labas to transfer.

its already been posted tho a few times. Any question of the qb is moot until we know what the coaching situation looks like.

They need to go into the portal again. They don’t really have a choice. Hope Cade stays healthy and is the guy, but can’t rely on that.

Assuming Cade has fully recovered - he should be, with almost a full year to do so by next fall, I would expect him to be the guy to beat. I don’t know that I really ever expected Hill to be THE guy, but 1) he’s played just 2 1/2 games, zero reason he can’t develop and 2) last night I thought he looked more comfortable than Purdue game, he just wasn’t asked to do much based on how the game unfolded. I do expect Labas to
I can think of a reason he won’t develop

I think we can safely say Hill is NOT the guy next year. And we cannot rely on a guy who’s been hurt for a year and a half and just tore his acl. So who is it going to be??
Fair question, for sure. I cringe at the thought of either Cade or Deacon as our guy next season. Cade is injury prone and probably significantly over rated. Deacon looks flat out terrible...horribly inaccurate, no touch, and slow. We have to be able to come up with a better option...I just dont have any idea who that might be.

In think Beth has the balls to not bring Nepobaby back

While I don’t expect it, it wouldn’t shock me if Kirk did retire.

And one way or another I don’t think there’s a way that Kirk can bring Brian back after 3 full seasons of awful offense. Whether that means Brian is let go, resigns, shunted side ways into a different role or finds a job elsewhere I just don’t think he can come back.

While I don’t expect it, it wouldn’t shock me if Kirk did retire.

And one way or another I don’t think there’s a way that Kirk can bring Brian back after 3 full seasons of awful offense. Whether that means Brian is let go, resigns, shunted side ways into a different role or finds a job elsewhere I just don’t think he can come back.
If we manage to go 11-1 and win the West, I think it’s hard for an AD to force out a coach or a coordinator. I know this isn’t what a lot of fans want to hear, and I get it, but I think that’s the reality.

More likely scenarios than Brian getting fired after an 11-1 season, IMHO, would be:
  • Kirk retires, with a new coach bringing in mostly new assistants
  • Brian is “promoted” (lol!!) to “assistant head coach,” assigned to the OL. Barnett moves on, and we hire a new OC/QB coach, likely Budmayr

• Angry
Reactions: littlez
If we manage to go 11-1 and win the West, I think it’s hard for an AD to force out a coach or a coordinator. I know this isn’t what a lot of fans want to hear, and I get it, but I think that’s the reality.

More likely scenarios than Brian getting fired after an 11-1 season, IMHO, would be:
  • Brian is “promoted” (lol!!) to “assistant head coach,” assigned to the OL. Barnett moves on, and we hire a new OC/QB coach, likely Budmayr
All things being equal I’d agree,but this will be 3 consecutive seasons of bottom 10 offense. Idk how you bring Brian back again.

Reactions: Max_Rebo
Is Kirk retiring?
He should probably think about it. He is too stubborn for his own good and he honestly looks pretty rough in his interviews this year. If we could combine an average to above average offense with the Phil Parker defense this team would be competitive with most everyone.

Fair question, for sure. I cringe at the thought of either Cade or Deacon as our guy next season. Cade is injury prone and probably significantly over rated. Deacon looks flat out terrible...horribly inaccurate, no touch, and slow. We have to be able to come up with a better option...I just dont have any idea who that might be.
Agree, Cade wasn't exactly impressing me before getting hurt again. His arm is very average, his accuracy was ho hum and he seemed kind of short. Deacon is just a hell no, he brings nothing to the table.

Agree, Cade wasn't exactly impressing me before getting hurt again. His arm is very average, his accuracy was ho hum and he seemed kind of short. Deacon is just a hell no, he brings nothing to the table.
In fairness to Cade, we never saw him healthy either. He was plenty accurate at Michigan.

I don’t know that I really ever expected Hill to be THE guy, but 1) he’s played just 2 1/2 games, zero reason he can’t develop
I appreciate the optimism, but you seriously can't think of a single reason why an Iowa QB won't develop as he spends more time in this offense? Seriously, when was the last time an Iowa QB "developed"? Stanley is the last guy who MIGHT have been better as a senior than he was when he stepped on campus. Probably have to go back to "Pre-BF OC/QB" era C.J. Beathard for the answer.

How much does the scheme and surrounding cast have to do with that? Jake Rudock was also more accurate at Michigan than Iowa.
It’s not helping for sure, tho we started the year with two NFL caliber tight ends and what should be an improved receiving corps.

it’s become blindingly obvious the last three years that Iowas scheme is broken.

Rudock has a bad rap at Iowa tho. He was perfectly solid at Iowa, just was clearly passed by CJ in the end.
Rudock stats.

I appreciate the optimism, but you seriously can't think of a single reason why an Iowa QB won't develop as he spends more time in this offense? Seriously, when was the last time an Iowa QB "developed"? Stanley is the last guy who MIGHT have been better as a senior than he was when he stepped on campus. Probably have to go back to "Pre-BF OC/QB" era C.J. Beathard for the answer.
You make it sound like Stanley was forever ago. as I just posted, statistically Rudock was better than he was given credit for.

if nothing changes, then yeah hard to be too optimistic about the quarterback position. But I don’t expect that to be the case.

it’s very obvious that the scheme is what’s holding the offense back imo, outside of games where, like last night, kirk locked it down because he knew the only way we lost was to make the big mistake on offense.

Recruiting classes since Stanley stepped foot on campus: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023.

QB’s that proved to have the least bit of value playing P-5 football- zero (so far).

That’s a ridiculous level of fail.

At least a couple of the guys recruited obviously transferred because they were stuck behind Stanley, and played elsewhere; but yeah the Petras/Padilla/Hogan classes were clear misses at that position.

Combo of bad luck/scouting - on paper Petras looked like a very good recruit.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
I don’t know how he is not in the mix now? I also don’t know how a serious DI QB weighs 260 lbs. Hill needs to lose 20 lbs next year.
He needs to lose more than that. I can't believe the staff have not been all over him for putting that much weight on. It really effects the way he can move around. If he's serious about an opportunity in the NFL(I know..funny thought) He needs to stop eating twinkies and lose that weight.

I always though this was the best solution to the BF problem. Problem is Buddy has done nothing to help this offense and its only gotten worse. I would fire him and Barnett.

Reactions: Max_Rebo
It will be Cade, I just hope they have a legit backup plan
There’s no way you can go into next year expecting Cade to be our starting QB. And Deacon who has now passed for 75 yards in his last 2 games. But who am I kidding? Of course we will.

Why do other programs power 5 and non power 5 have freshman qbs play when the starter get hurt and they actually look like a qb, Hill and Even Labas have no business taking snaps as a big qb. What does Lainez think seeing the shit show of qb play and not even being considered for playing time.

Reactions: pink shizzle
It was just announced that Cade is out for the remainder of the year. He has 1 year of eligibility remaining. It begs the question, assuming Hill finishes the season as a below avg Big 10 QB and the Hawks win 9 games, who do you want as your starter next year? Many will be quick to say Cade all the way, let's look at the numbers.

Through 5 games, Cade ranks 13th in the Big 10 in yards per game (101 yards: the top 10 QBs in the conference all average at least 175 yards or more), 13th in completion percentage (hitting just 51% in a dink and dump offense while the top 9 guys are all over 60%), and 13th in passer rating. Obviously, Hill's stats aren't much better, completing just 43% of his passes thus far, but you never know how much he'll improve.

With Brian calling the plays and QB guru Budmyr teaching mechanics, there is no guarantee Hill will ever get any better. Odds are, he will regress and become more conservative. But he's a big strong guy with some mobility and he's willing to throw the ball down the field.

If Cade is back to his gimpy and immobile early season form in the spring and Hill is slightly improved from his Michigan State debut, I'm probably giving the nod to Hill as the lesser of two evils. However, the coaching staff needs to do some soul searching and either once again rely on the portal (because they cannot develop QBs) or play one of the freshmen early and often. Marco Lainez is a 3 star who had some decent offers like Illinois and Maryland. Next year's QB recruit, Resar, is another 3 star with mostly MAC caliber offers and Indiana.

Without a QB next year, there will be no run game against decent opponents. Without a run game, we could be looking at a dumpster fire going up against the likes of Ohio State, Washington, USC, etc. The time is now to start thinking about next year's QB.
Might not be on the roster yet.

I’d happily take Cade back, I know he didn’t light up the stats - but he was never 100% and had a crappy OL (who have since improved a little). To me he seems to have that ‘it’ factor that we have not had at Iowa in awhile…😉
The "it" factor your refer to is media hype and internal confidence. Stats don't lie. He was the 11th best QB in the Big 10 and will be coming off major knee surgery next year. It's highly unlikely he's be better than the 11th best QB next year, with a slew of elite gun slinger QBs joining the league next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT