ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year's Womens Team

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
I see a lot of discussion about this topic on the recruiting thread so decided to start a new thread. The recruiting thread should be for recruiting news.

I'll start by saying, I think Caitlin will not be back. Kate's her best friend and Gabby also, she'll move on to the WNBA since they are leaving. Plus, she has nothing more to prove.

With Davis also leaving, there will be a big void at the point. I was looking forward to Guyton at the point but she'll be awhile coming back from the knee surgery. Can Johnson provide quality minutes as a sophomore? She's quick but small. Plus can she shoot from the arc. Stremlow and Levin are both listed as PG's, will either be able to start as freshmen?

I don't think Feuerbach or McCabe are PG's. Probably wing guards. McCabes a better shooter, Feuerbach is a better defender.

At small forward I think Affolter starts and Mallegni will play here at 6' 1". She is a great scorer.

Hannah will get a lot of minutes, spelled by either Gyamfi or Ediger.

I think O'Grady and Heinen should play post. Goodman plays with heart but her hands are suspect and she's not a rim runner. I see her minutes going away. Could she be a possible transfer candidate?

I think Affolter will fill Martin's glue role. Hannah's a star next year. McCabe could fill some of Caitlin's scoring. O'Grady will need to get better but has shown promise. No doubt, some of the younger players will need to step up next year.

Gonna be a rebuild for sure. To bad (for many reasons) that Ava Jones won't be in the mix. Or at least I assume she won't.

Reactions: perryhawk
In the midst of an incredible year, it’s weird to be playing the “next year” game, but I’ve been doing it, too.

I agree that Caitlin probably doesn’t return unless maybe we are knocked out of the NCAA tournament early or she feels some special magic with Hannah Stuelke.

Next year’s team has to be built around Stuelke and Affolter. Bluder builds around veterans, so game 1 starters are already here.

Predictions:

• Game 1 Starters: McCabe, Feuerbach, Affolter, Stuelke, and O’Grady or Goodman.

• Starters by start of Big 10: A freshman steps into the starting line up. Heiden? Mallegni, moving Stuelke to center?

• Transfers: Someone moves on, maybe Johnson. Maybe we bring in a surprise transfer.

• Steps up: Someone uses her off season to make a big jump. I pick McCabe for rounding out her game to demand more minutes. Or Feuerbach gets her shot going.

• Record: Season 22-8 & B!G 10 13-5 (4th place), Lose in the second weekend of the NCAA.

• Attendance: I think it will be another season ticket sellout, but actual attendance will drop.

• Little victories: We will learn to focus on more than just winning games. Our section loved watching
Kali Peschel (2013-16) develop from an earnest freshman to a 20 game starter as a senior. Some bench player will inspire us next year (footnote: see Affolter). We will upset a ranked team. We will get ranked after falling out of the rankings. Little victories.

Unfortunately, I think this is her last year too. She handles the outside noise really well, but I guarantee the windbags like Swoops talking about an asterisk on records for 5 years of playing does come into the decision.

Only way she comes back is if we have an early NCAA exit and she's pissed.... AND feels that we have a team that could make a run the next year.

Selfishly, I want her back.

Brings up an interesting "would you rather".

Would you rather have a Final 4 run and Caitlin leave or a 2nd round exit and Caitlin returns?

Oddly, I was thinking of starting this same thread. I think it’s highly unlikely that Clark comes back. She has absolutely nothing to prove. With Clark, Martin, and Davis all gone, that leaves a huge hole from a leadership standpoint. There’s no replacing Clark, and it’s unfair to expect someone to do so, but the team will need someone to step up to whatever degree they can. I’d love to see Hannah become a strong leader but she’s not quite ready to assume the responsibilities.

y. Can Johnson provide quality minutes as a sophomore? She's quick but small. Plus can she shoot from the arc. Stremlow and Levin are both listed as PG's, will either be able to
Spud Webb says there is nothing wrong with quick but small.

Actually, a super penetrating pt guard gets easy layups, bends the defense into pretzels, and dishes for those layups.

Reactions: Torg
While I tend to lean towards Caitlin heading to the WNBA, I cam't help but wonder if she would have a MUCH bigger platform to grow the game in college. She plays in front of 15,000 fans every game now. Attendance for WNBA game 6,615 last season.

I also wonder how the Olympics will factor into her decision. The WNBA season starts May 11th and will take 3-4 week break for the Olympics starting at end of July. If she is named to the Olympic team, it probably makes it more likely to go the WNBA (I think).

Another factor is how close the beginning of the WNBA season is to the end of the NCAA tourney. The draft is April 15th.

If Clark does leave, I think I see Stremlow getting the majority of the PG minutes. She is more of a Sam Logic style PG. I could also see a portal PG coming in if a scholly opens up. Especially with Guyton's knee injury, I think a grad student PG transfer could make sense to allow Guyton knee some time, keep McCabe and Feuerbach at the 2. I don't see Johnson as a real option unless she REALLY improves (which is certainly possible). I think her recruitment was at least partially attempt to get her teammate Jasmine Brown who ultimately choose Mississippi State.

I think CC will come back.She loves playing in front of sold out arenas and national TV exposure. None of witch she will get in the WNBA . Just my thoughts.
If she does, there actually will be an asterisk next to her name in the record book and I doubt she wants that. Yes, she'll place the record so far out of reach that no one will touch it, but doing so will give fuel to her detractors.

I see a lot of discussion about this topic on the recruiting thread so decided to start a new thread. The recruiting thread should be for recruiting news.

I'll start by saying, I think Caitlin will not be back. Kate's her best friend and Gabby also, she'll move on to the WNBA since they are leaving. Plus, she has nothing more to prove.

With Davis also leaving, there will be a big void at the point. I was looking forward to Guyton at the point but she'll be awhile coming back from the knee surgery. Can Johnson provide quality minutes as a sophomore? She's quick but small. Plus can she shoot from the arc. Stremlow and Levin are both listed as PG's, will either be able to start as freshmen?

I don't think Feuerbach or McCabe are PG's. Probably wing guards. McCabes a better shooter, Feuerbach is a better defender.

At small forward I think Affolter starts and Mallegni will play here at 6' 1". She is a great scorer.

I think O'Grady and Heinen should play post. Goodman plays with heart but her hands are suspect and she's not a rim runner. I see her minutes going away. Could she be a possible transfer candidate?

I think Affolter will fill Martin's glue role. Hannah's a star next year. McCabe could fill some of Caitlin's scoring. O'Grady will need to get better but has shown promise. No doubt, some of the younger players will need to step up next year.
I doubt Sharon Goodman will take her covid year.

Thanks for starting this thread, it makes sense to take the discussion out of the others.

I keep seeing people say that Clark won’t want to come back bc all her friends are leaving, but she is also very good friends with Sydney, Jada and Kylie (she basically recruited Kylie from ISU, it would seem, and they’ve been roommates 3 seasons in a row). They all hang out + travel a lot in the off-season together. She also clearly has affection for Stuelke and McCabe — more of a big sister / mentor kind of relationship. Furthermore Bluder said recently in an interview she will do everything in her power to keep Martin around on staff. So I just don’t buy that particular argument.

But I do think she is likely to go pro since I dont see a path for her for to come back lol, as I keep saying. We already have 15 scholarships allotted for next year and I don’t see who might give one up (especially before the deadline for her to declare).

I actually follow a few evaluators for PGH / ESPN / etc on Twitter and one of them is very friendly, so I messaged them to see what they think about the lineup next year. They predicted that Stremlow, Levin and Kennise will all get a shot at the 1 but in their professional opinion, Stremlow will ultimately get the starting spot til Guyton heals — due to her court vision. They agree that Guyton is clearly the most talented and were hopeful she may be able to get back into the lineup after Christmas break.

Sounds like the gap between Guyton and Stremlow at PG might be large enough that it would be worth recalibrating mid-season even tho she’ll miss the whole summer. They do not see McCabe working out at the 1 and I’ve agreed with that since I started thinking about this topic.

Anyway, this person tends be very knowledgeable — as they should be since they get paid to do so. Therefore, I predict the following early:
  • PG: Stremlow -> Johnson
  • SG: McCabe -> Mallegni
  • SF: Feuerbach -> Gyamfi/Mallegni
  • PF: Affolter -> Gyamfi
  • C: Stuelke -> O’Grady/Goodman/Heiden
But ideally, it could ultimately turn into a rotation of the following:
  • PG: Guyton -> Stremlow
  • SG: McCabe / Feuerbach (not sure who would get the edge)
  • SF: Affolter -> Feuerbach / Mallegni
  • PF: Stuelke -> Gyamfi
  • C: Heiden -> O’Grady/Goodman
A couple months ago I was more bullish on Feuerbach but since she has kind of taken a step back, im less confident she will break thru as a starter in a fully healthy lineup.

As I’ve said elsewhere, I think Mallegni has a good shot at ultimately playing the PF (a la Warnock) but Bluder has said she prefers freshmen to either learn the 2/3 or 4/5 and I don’t see her expecting Mallegni, a guard, to focus on the 4/5.

I would guess that if a current hawk enters the portal, a veteran PG would be the #1 priority.

I doubt Sharon Goodman will take her covid year.
Goodman had a redshirt year so next year is not her COVID year. Next year is her fourth year of eligibility. She has said she plans to graduate next year, which makes sense bc I am doubtful Bluder invites her to take a 5th year.

She and Feuerbach are actually on the same schedule now due to each taking a red shirt year. As mentioned above, I’m not sure if Feuerbach will start either at the 2 or 3 next year but she certainly has the potential to at both positions. Since Affolter is a superior defender/driver and McCabe is a superior shooter at this point, Feuerbach might end up the first W off the bench again as she was 2 seasons ago — McCabe and Affolter compliment each other pretty well skillwise.

I do think there’s a chance Bluder offers Feuerbach a 5th year, which would be the last such instance of it. She seems to have taken a step back over the course of this season tho.

If Kylie does break through and become a key part of the starting lineup, however, I would guess Bluder offers her the COVID year. She would seem to have the highest overall ceiling of all of our returning wings (even if she’s not realizing it yet) and I think Bluder would appreciate both 4 years out of her and the consistency she would bring after Affolter graduates.

Last edited:
In all of Caitlin's interviews she talks in past tense. I don't think she'll be back. Even Lisa was talking that way.

In all of Caitlin's interviews she talks in past tense. I don't think she'll be back. Even Lisa was talking that way.
Agree, I doubt she will be back. I read somewhere that she plans on going through the Seniors Day ceremonial stuff on March 3rd which is the last regular season home game. Her last game in Carver Hawkeye could be the 1st round of the NCAA's.

Reactions: herkhatescy
I think CC will return.

I based this on the following factors.

1. Carver and every road game are packed to capacity. The WNBA doesn't have near the passion or fanfare.

2. A significant amount of bullshit awaits CC in the WNBA. Jealousy and agendas among them. A frustrating road awaits.

3. Seeing some of the scheduling announcements for next year makes me think that they're trying to amp of the schedule, thus fitting for her return.

4. Paige Bueckers just announced she's returning. And while I get that the two situations are completely different, mainly PB working through past injuries, I still believe that in the age of NIL combined with great attendance for some of the women's games, you're going see a lot more women stay in college and use up their eligibility.

Reactions: Ehawk1fan
I think CC will return.

1. Carver and every road game are packed to capacity. The WNBA doesn't have near the passion or fanfare.

2. A significant amount of bullshit awaits CC in the WNBA. Jealousy and agendas among them. A frustrating road awaits.

3. Seeing some of the scheduling announcements for next year makes me think that they're trying to amp of the schedule, thus fitting for her return.

4. Paige Bueckers just announced she's returning. And while I get that the two situations are completely different, mainly PB working through past injuries, I still believe that in the age of NIL combined with great attendance for some of the women's games, you're going see a lot more women stay in college and use up their eligibility.

There are a lot of Sheryl Swoopes players in the WNBA. I had a chance to talk to a couple WNBA players recently and they all mentioned that veteran players will make sure that Caitlin knows her place and that she is a rookie. They said that because there are so few roster spots, jealousy and personal agendas are a big problem on most of the WNBA teams.

I highly doubt any perceived “jealousy and agendas” will deter Clark from going pro this year. Literally nothing in her background suggests that she will be in the least bit intimidated by such talk.

To the extent she even cares about such nonsense, it will probably have the opposite effect, it will motivate her to go pro now and prove herself.

Indiana will be Caitlin's team next year. You don't like it? Buh bye

I think CC will return.

I have said since before the season I think it depends on how far Iowa advances in the NCAA. I think that something left unfinished (i.e. winning the National Title) might be enough to draw her back. But I don't think she will decide before the season ends. And even then she might need a few days. I could just as easily see her leaving. But I do really hope she decides to stay one more year.

I have said since before the season I think it depends on how far Iowa advances in the NCAA. I think that something left unfinished (i.e. winning the National Title) might be enough to draw her back. But I don't think she will decide before the season ends. And even then she might need a few days. I could just as easily see her leaving. But I do really hope she decides to stay one more year.
The deadline is ten days before the draft on April 15th. This year the Final Four are April 5th and 7th, so the way the calendar falls this year Caitlin would have to decide before that. I remember last year Aaliyah Boston had a couple days after that weekend to declare.

IMO, next year’s team will not have the talent to make a deep run in the NCAA Tournament even with CC returning.

• Haha
Reactions: peacehawk
I highly doubt any perceived “jealousy and agendas” will deter Clark from going pro this year. Literally nothing in her background suggests that she will be in the least bit intimidated by such talk.

To the extent she even cares about such nonsense, it will probably have the opposite effect, it will motivate her to go pro now and prove herself.

But sometimes things are out of your control. Teammates refusing to pass the ball among them.

But sometimes things are out of your control. Teammates refusing to pass the ball among them.
There will be a period of adjustment. The owners and coaches (and of course the ticket buying fans) still want to win. Agendas which jeopardize winning will be weeded out.

To some extent, all new players get the rookie treatment from veterans. All the great players go through it. She will adjust, her teammates will adjust.

Maybe CC leaves, but Boston is getting paid 75K this year to play in the WNBA. The highest salary is around 250k, which is quite pathetic. I can't imagine that Iowa couldn't must up 100k alone in NIL and her other deals easily top that.

Unfortunately, I think this is her last year too. She handles the outside noise really well, but I guarantee the windbags like Swoops talking about an asterisk on records for 5 years of playing does come into the decision.

Only way she comes back is if we have an early NCAA exit and she's pissed.... AND feels that we have a team that could make a run the next year.

Selfishly, I want her back.

Brings up an interesting "would you rather".

Would you rather have a Final 4 run and Caitlin leave or a 2nd round exit and Caitlin returns?
The former. Clark has done ALL she can do at this point, and I think she wants these records to be REAL and not 5th year aided. Not just because of the detractors, but because she is a historian of the game.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
The deadline is ten days before the draft on April 15th. This year the Final Four are April 5th and 7th, so the way the calendar falls this year Caitlin would have to decide before that. I remember last year Aaliyah Boston had a couple days after that weekend to declare.
Nope.....

CC has nothing left to prove?

After being a national runner up last season, and being as good as she is, I would think her hunger for a title is insatiable.

Remember, this is a team game first

Iowa women's attendance will fall off a cliff.

Iowa women's attendance will fall off a cliff.
Mean Girls Shut Up GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT