ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Network on Lukas Van Ness

Adam Jacobi

HR MVP
Staff
Dec 30, 2022
ANDREW SICILIANO: "Lukas Van Ness has done it week after week, but he never started, Scott. Like, that's the big thing — you're going to see Lukas Van Ness look amazing tonight, the edge player out of Iowa, but he never started. What do you want to see from him?"

SCOTT PIOLI: "here's what you see when you watch him on tape. You see this explosion, you see this incredible strength, power out of a guy who's got some length. Starting is very interesting to me. You talk to coaches about who's starting, it's about packages now, and who plays in what package. Just because a guy doesn't start doesn't mean they're not going to get 50 snaps a game. So sometimes you start in nickel, you start in regular, you don't know what's going to happen."

"But to me, what I want to see from him — the question is what are his numbers? Because I see on tape—I see the strength, I see the speed, I see the explosion, I just don't know how fast he really is. Not that that's going to determine where I'm gonna draft him. Because he's a terrific player and we already know what kind of person he is, so again he's another guy who's gonna come in here, who doesn't have to show me a whole lot because there is so much on tape regardless of whether he's starting."

SICILIANO: "And he will tell the story — and obviously the story checks out — upperclassmen ahead of him, he still had a very high snap count compared to the guys that were on the field ahead of him, and he tied for the team lead in sacks, so he was a very productive player when he was on the field."

[minor edits for clarity]

Opponents ran 883 plays last year, he was on the field for 458 of those (only 12 games), down from 462 (14 games) as a freshman. Campbell in comparison had 804 snaps in 12 games last year. But the DL is often substituted

Opponents ran 883 plays last year, he was on the field for 458 of those (only 12 games), down from 462 (14 games) as a freshman. Campbell in comparison had 804 snaps in 12 games last year. But the DL is often substituted
In '21, he was almost exclusively used on the interior. In '22, he split reps between playing on the edge AND on the interior. Were it not for Black's injury ... we probably would have seen him more often on the edge.

Reactions: cmhawks99
One of the things I saw yesterday said that only Logan Lee had more snaps than Van Ness among the DL in 2022.

Reactions: cmhawks99
One of the things I saw yesterday said that only Logan Lee had more snaps than Van Ness among the DL in 2022.

Logan Lee will be a stud!!! He already is, he is greatly underrated. He is an NFL player!

Black as well if he can Stay healthy!!

Allen, Llewelyn,

Reactions: Stoopsbrother
Graves is a grown man, reminds me of Matt Roth , although Graves plays inside & Roth was mostly on the edge.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT