ADVERTISEMENT

NFL QB?

Is the NFL moving to the dual threat QB?
Gonna get them killed early. Will have much shorter careers. If I were an NFL D Coordinator facing a dual threat QB, I would tell my dudes to hammer the crap out of them every time they carry the ball. Put a little extra into the hits. NFL linebackers are all so big and fast.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Gonna get them killed early. Will have much shorter careers. If I were an NFL D Coordinator facing a dual threat QB, I would tell my dudes to hammer the crap out of them every time they carry the ball. Put a little extra into the hits. NFL linebackers are all so big and fast.
You're probably right, some of their careers might not be as long. On the other hand, the Eagles are the Super Bowl favorite w/a very much duel threat QB. While I wouldn't describe Mahomes as a duel threat QB, the Chiefs run a ton of RPO and when healthy, nobody moves around the pocket like Mahomes. Purdy is a stand in the pocket passer and got injured and is out for 6 months. Just one more thing to put pressure on the defense. And the definition of a so called pro style offense is changing. I'd like to see us change with it.

Dual threat is a bad take, it sounds like you're watching The Deuce in 1997.

Mobile QBs who can extend plays and use their legs is becoming commonplace. Mahomes, Jalen Hurts, Josh Allen, Aaron Rodgers is the old man of the group.

Reactions: BonzoFury
We had Brad Banks once upon a time. I miss him. Tate could scramble around pretty good and extend plays. I expect McNamara to be similar in that regard. Petras is a great guy and great Hawkeye but imo i didn't see him as much of a scrambler. Just my opinion though.

Mobile QBs who can extend plays and use their legs is becoming commonplace. Mahomes, Jalen Hurts, Josh Allen, Aaron Rodgers is the old man of the group.
True, but where would we be without straw man arguments.

Much like when someone suggests we throw the ball downfield more often...the immediate response is something like "OH...you wanna go 5 wide on every play!? Run and shoot?! etc etc. That's ridiculous!

Reactions: Bishop1971
Not that he can’t move around but Cade’s career rushing is 46 times for 3 yards. I know sacks are taken out but most dual threat rush for way more than they lose.

It has been commonplace for years. Doug Flutie and many others were great moving around

The rules today protect the QB so much more today than in the past. A running QB was rare because the defense could hammer them. There was no slide protection. QBs would get hit well after throwing a ball. You could hit above the shoulders leading with the helmet..But yeah I don't see them having careers like Brady.

QB has to be mobile just enough to get rid of the ball, for a completion and not to lose yards. Both our back ups this season (in their limited time) were better at not taking sacks than Petras.

I don't think that is what he's saying. I think he means he wants to see modern football played at Iowa.
@myteamcanbeatupyourteam couldn’t figure that out. The Super Bowl has a true duel threat in Hurts, who they’ve actually designed an offense around. Mahomes is a freak of nature and impossible to compare anyone to but good coaches design their schemes around what they have.

QB has to be mobile just enough to get rid of the ball, for a completion and not to lose yards. Both our back ups this season (in their limited time) were better at not taking sacks than Petras.
True. I'd add "and able to run for yards when the defense is out of position and leaves an opening"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT