ADVERTISEMENT

Nicholas Baer jam..........IOWA play of the Year?

IowaNiceHawk

HR Legend
Gold Member
May 2, 2016
St Donatus, IA
I did hear it called that, last night, vs Indiana.

And since they did come back and beat the Hoosiers in OT, I'm going with that.

Now, if Fran would just figure out that Nicholas Baer SHOULD BE starting
Every half of Every game that this team plays. (See my thread earlier this week)

DUH Go Hawks :)

Reactions: thirteenandtwo
Me too. I really don't think it's a big deal who starts. Baer gets a ton of playing time.

In fact, next years starting line up could be.

JBo
CW
Moss
Cook
Kriener

With pemsl, Baer and Brady off the bench.
Exactly. Not starting isn't hurting his minutes. He's in there when Fran needs someone to come up with a big play or 2. Baer is the man to do that.

Why, based on his performance in last few games, do people think
Moss should start ?????????

Why ?

Go read the Moss thread. Good insight there n moss.

Bottom line, moss has a ton of potential and moving forward is an important part of this team as is Baer. Baer just serves as an integral part coming off the bench.

Reactions: McLovin32
Remember when Iowa started 3 straight games behind 8-0, 8-0, and 10-0? And remember that Fran finally started Wagner and Baer the next game or two and the flat starts stopped? Remember how Iowa started last night behind 9-0 with Baer on the bench? Connect the dots.

Remember when Iowa started 3 straight games behind 8-0, 8-0, and 10-0? And remember that Fran finally started Wagner and Baer the next game or two and the flat starts stopped? Remember how Iowa started last night behind 9-0 with Baer on the bench? Connect the dots.
You're doing nothing but pointing out slow starts. That does not mean we need bench players to be moved to starting roles. Bench players are supposed to give the team a boost when they come in. Energize the team. Help when the starters are struggling. Some players are just better coming off the bench. Ex: Lou Williams and Jamal Crawford in the NBA. Both amazing talents and could easily be starters, but play better coming off the bench.

Why, based on his performance in last few games, do people think
Moss should start ?????????

Why ?
Can't believe I'm engaging you given your obvious inability to think critically as demonstrated in OT, but here goes.

Moss starts because if he, along with the others, plays well (together) it's a bonus. Then Baer gets to come in and build off that.

If the starting group plays not-so-well together Baer-for-Moss (assuming Moss is sputtering) is a workable possible solution. If Moss is off to a good start, but say Wagner isn't, then Baer-for-Wagner works also—unless maybe if the other team's bigs are Swanigan and Haas big.

Baer makes Iowa's bench go. He gives the entire bench confidence to come in and contribute as he does. If you start Baer, you risk losing that.

I played D-2 after walking on at Iowa. Was a starting PG. A more talented, but less consistent, PG backed me up. His coming off the bench took pressure off of him and once he accepted not starting, he thrived. Bottom line is who starts, while optically important to some guys, is not as important as what works for the team, and what gives the team the best chance to win in multiple scenarios.

Having said that, the slow starts might force Fran to try something different, but I suspect he'll stick with Moss starting. Baer is just too valuable in the overall scheme of things as the de facto ringleader of the bench. His relishing his role coming off the bench I believe rubs off on the other guys, Kreiner especially.

If you like, read my posts in the Moss thread for more on this.

I did hear it called that, last night, vs Indiana.

And since they did come back and beat the Hoosiers in OT, I'm going with that.

Now, if Fran would just figure out that Nicholas Baer SHOULD BE starting
Every half of Every game that this team plays. (See my thread earlier this week)

DUH Go Hawks :)

Play of the Year in my book.

We need some energy at the START of the game too. I'd be fine with Baer in the starting lineup.

Bart's was a great play. The Williams to Cook pass and dunk right up there with it iowahasnt made many plays like that this year

If it doesn't matter who starts, you might ask Fran why he moved Baer and Wagner into the starting lineup after those three flat starts in a row. Coincidence? :rolleyes:

Reactions: IowaNiceHawk
McCaffery has said on several occasions that Baer prefers to come off the bench.

Williams seems to be making his late season surge again. I wouldn't mind seeing him replace Moss in the starting lineup, with Bohannon at the 2. Moss could spell either one of them if needed, but probably not at PG.

I would love to see Baer off the bench, love his attitude and the way he plays even if some don't think his talent level is there to be a starter in the B1G

McCaffery has said on several occasions that Baer prefers to come off the bench.

Williams seems to be making his late season surge again. I wouldn't mind seeing him replace Moss in the starting lineup, with Bohannon at the 2. Moss could spell either one of them if needed, but probably not at PG.
This is the only problem IMO, because I'd also like to see Bohannon and Williams on the court together more. Who comes off the bench at the PG? Brady Ellingson is the only feasible option unless Fran starts getting Dailey some minutes

Baer is a great sixth man. I believe it showed Tuesday after the coache's mass replace at the two minute mark.

Moss has digressed and been very ineffective... I think he should prove himself.
if you are going to start somebody based on potential... you'd have to start everybody.
Christian Williams is playing his best basketball of his career and HE has the potential to be a game changer... HE's the one making a difference right now... and HE's the one who deserves the Start.
imo

Moss has digressed and been very ineffective... I think he should prove himself.
if you are going to start somebody based on potential... you'd have to start everybody.
Christian Williams is playing his best basketball of his career and HE has the potential to be a game changer... HE's the one making a difference right now... and HE's the one who deserves the Start.
imo

And two weeks ago everyone on here thought that Williams should transfer. This is college basketball and most our team is made up of 18 and 19 year old kids. They will all go through stretches where they play great and stretches where they don't. Getting hyped up over who starts and who comes off the bench is a waste of time.

Who starts on this team are not our five best players, that's pretty obvious. Baer ls in the top three in Iowa stats in something like five categories. He and Jok are our best players. Go to the stats and check total minutes played-- those are are best players. Two of our starters are probably not in our top six players-- Wagner and certainly not Moss. The second unit that comes in is almost as strong as our starters, and some more so. I can see now why Fran has to play so many guys. Some guys off the bench are among our strongest players-- Baer and Pemsl- but Fran has to keep them out of foul trouble because he wants them in the second half. And then Kriener and Williams are coming on strong-- they deserve to play more minutes.

And two weeks ago everyone on here thought that Williams should transfer. This is college basketball and most our team is made up of 18 and 19 year old kids. They will all go through stretches where they play great and stretches where they don't. Getting hyped up over who starts and who comes off the bench is a waste of time.

you making a comment is a waste of time... using the same measure that you use.
what others say and what I say are 2 different things...
with all due respect... you ought to be smart enough to know that.

you making a comment is a waste of time... using the same measure that you use.
what others say and what I say are 2 different things...
with all due respect... you ought to be smart enough to know that.

My point was more that you are saying Moss has digressed and should prove himself. I am saying its more of he has had a 3 game stretch in which he hasn't played very well. Two very different things. Secondly, are you at practice seeing what Moss is doing there? What if in every single practice Moss is the player we saw in the 1st half against Minnesota? Again, these are young kids so there are times when it is tough for them to translate what they do in practice into the games on a consistent basis. Some never learn to do it. Josh Oglesby was a perfect example. I watched a couple of practices when he was on the team and he might have missed 2 or 3 shots the entire time. Unfortunately, of course, he could never replicate that in live action. Lastly, from when he was inserted into the lineup against Notre Dame through the Minnesota game, Moss played pretty damn well. He is clearly our best player in transition, attacks the rim and finishes. Flip to Williams who has done the exact opposite. Up until the MSU game he had been having a down year, all of the sudden he plays 3 good games and people think he is the second coming. Maybe he has finally found his role? Could changing his role again impact his play?

In summary what I meant by its a waste of time, is that if you try to start whoever is "hot" you will be changing your lineup every other week.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
The biggest advantage Moss has once Jok graduates, there is not tons of competition for an off guard spot. The scenarios where he could get squeezed (likely on minutes, not forced out completely) would be:

• Dailey quickly moves "up the ladder
  • Combination of JOBO and Williams at 1/2 becomes better (this is longshot city based on Williams shooting and JOBO defense)
  • Connor McCaffrey makes a big splash early (I have not seen him play much but my understanding is that he is more of a combo guard?)
  • Wildcard JUCO or Grad Transfer (also not high likelihood)
So in essence it is his spot to lose.

My guess is next year the minutes for the three position will likely go to 3/4 types as the front court minutes will be precious. Nick, Nunge, Wagner (small chance)and Uhl will likely be at the wing.

J Bo, CW, Brady, Moss, Dailey, and Conner will battle for the guard minutes.

If Moss and CW get the minutes at the three that means Garza, Nunge, Cook, Pemsl, Wagner, Kriener, Uhl and Baer would average around 10 minutes a piece and I don't see that happening.

Reactions: IowaNiceHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT