ADVERTISEMENT

Nico Ragaini injured?

Feb 25, 2008
Who needs WRs!! Let's go full Army/Navy triple option on this mofo!!!

70s-show-crying.gif

Not that they would want to but worst case they could give a guy like Roberts a shot at WR. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Pretty good athlete that might only sniff the field on STs if Harris holds the spot all year. Pretty sure he was a solid WR in HS. I wanna say he took one to the house almost every other time he touched the ball on offense his senior year or something crazy like that. Might have made all that up in my dome. Sounds nice tho.

Okay, quick edit here as I looked up his HS WR stats for his senior year:
42 receptions
1236 yds
30 yds/catch
16 tds

So he scored about 40% of the time. Not terrible.

Last edited:
Not that they would want to but worst case they could give a guy like Roberts a shot at WR. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Pretty good athlete that might only sniff the field on STs if Harris holds the spot all year. Pretty sure he was a solid WR in HS. I wanna say he took one to the house almost every other time he touched the ball on offense his senior year or something crazy like that. Might have made all that up in my dome. Sounds nice tho.

42 receptions
1236 yds
30 yds/catch
16 tds

Well, Since Harris is suspended for the first game, we'll need TR in as a DB, so that isn't happening.....

Reactions: pacnorthhawkeye
Broken foot. There is a lot of playing time available with only 5-6 healthy receivers.
not good. happened on the field or working with hay in a barn? at this time of year both are possibilities when it comes to iowa players.

42 receptions
1236 yds
30 yds/catch
16 tds

that's incredible. now i'm beginnig to wonder whether parker has also stashed away the best iowa qb.

Well, Since Harris is suspended for the first game, we'll need TR in as a DB, so that isn't happening.....
Good call…forgot about the suspension. Well maybe TR has himself a game and keeps the spot for the year. I feel like he was filling in pretty well last year until he went down. Unless I’m remembering it wrong.

Broken foot. There is a lot of playing time available with only 5-6 healthy receivers.
Supposedly a stress fracture, which should not be a full break. One of those hard to tell injuries that could be a couple of weeks or ongoing if not rested. Hopefully they caught it early enough....

Supposedly a stress fracture, which should not be a full break. One of those hard to tell injuries that could be a couple of weeks or ongoing if not rested. Hopefully they caught it early enough....
My son is a runner and has had stress fracture in each foot. One foot one year and the other the next. Was in a boot for 12 weeks with the second one.

When you only recruit 10 total WRs in the past 5 years you are bound to run into depth issues.

2022 - 1
2021 - 3
2020 - 2
2019 - 1
2018 - 3
2018 was technically more like 4. Evans was originally recruited more at WR - due to some depth issues, we initially put him at RB.

Another thing is that during that window of time, the Hawks also landed transfer WRs in Oliver Martin (from Michigan), Jack Combs (from CMU), and Charlie Jones (from Buffalo) ... although some of those transfers walked-on.

Lastly, we had been having some good luck with some of our walk-on WRs ... at least those guys who transferred from the JUCO ranks. McCarron was good (before the window you specified though) ... as was Easley (also before the window). Thus, I anticipate that the offensive coaches that that they could continue to extract walk-on contributors (at WR) at that rate. The point here being that usually we get at least one under-the-radar walk-on who manages to catch the eyes of the coaches.

Put that all together ... you're looking at more on the order of 15 WRs entering the program during that time.

Then, when you consider that when the Hawks can ... we like to use 2-TE sets. So that leaves us with only 2 WRs on the field at the same time. When we only use 1 TE ... there's still a decent chance that we have a FB on the field OR 2 RBs. In either case, we're still only apt to have 2 WRs on the field. With decent frequency, when we go "heavy" ... with either 3 TEs or 2 TEs + 1 FB (which we use quite a bit) ... then we only have 1 WR on the field.

We rarely go much beyond the ACE set ... with 3 WRs ... because even when we go empty ... it's usually the result of motioning the RB out wide (and we're often using TEs in the capacity of a WR too).

As a numbers game ... how many WRs do you actually need on the roster if, on average, you usually only field 2 WRs?

Last edited:

42 receptions
1236 yds
30 yds/catch
16 tds

AJ Lawson seems like the perfect candidate. I think he was recruited as a WR for a lot of schools. Plus he’s buried on the depth chart right now. Might as well give him a shot at receiver.

My son is a runner and has had stress fracture in each foot. One foot one year and the other the next. Was in a boot for 12 weeks with the second one.
That doesn't sound like a stress fracture. Normally stress fractures, (which are not complete breaks) can be cured by rest of the foot, usually in a boot. My youngest also had a stress fracture when he was running cross country and playing AAU basketball at the same time. Literally just too much stress in the foot. He was in a boot for 4 weeks, and then he was fine. Three years later when he was playing basketball in college he had a second bout with his foot. They did excercises and different ways of taping his foot. The big thing was he changed the type of shoes he was wearing. The team wore Nikes, and he switched to an Addidas basketball shoe at the doctors suggestion. It had more arch support. He never had another problem.....

Last edited:
Reactions: pink shizzle
2018 was technically more like 4. Evans was originally recruited more at WR - due to some depth issues, we initially put him at RB.

Another thing is that during that window of time, the Hawks also landed transfer WRs in Oliver Martin (from Michigan), Jack Combs (from CMU), and Charlie Jones (from Buffalo) ... although some of those transfers walked-on.

Lastly, we had been having some good luck with some of our walk-on WRs ... at least those guys who transferred from the JUCO ranks. McCarron was good (before the window you specified though) ... as was Easley (also before the window). Thus, I anticipate that the offensive coaches could continue to extract. The point here being that usually we get at least one under-the-radar walk-on who manages to catch the eyes of the coaches.

Put that all together ... you're looking at more on the order of 15 WRs entering the program during that time.

Then, when you consider that when the Hawks can ... we like to use 2-TE sets. So that leaves us with only 2 WRs on the field at the same time. When we only use 1 TE ... there's still a decent chance that we have a FB on the field OR 2 RBs. In either case, we're still only apt to have 2 WRs on the field. With decent frequency, when we go "heavy" ... with either 3 TEs or 2 TEs + 1 FB (which we use quite a bit) ... then we only have 1 WR on the field.

We rarely go much beyond the ACE set ... with 3 WRs ... because even when we go empty ... it's usually the result of motioning the RB out wide (and we're often using TEs in the capacity of a WR too).

As a numbers game ... how many WRs do you actually need on the roster if, on average, you usually only field 2 WRs?
You at least 3 deep, due to WHEN the 1st teamer goes down you shouldn't be looking to your ball boy for "next man in".

Reactions: coorsoriginal02
Yeah, I saw in practice clips that SP is trying to sell that he may actually keep the ball on a "read" play. I don't think the defenses will give 2 shites if he keeps it, it will still take him too long to get to the LOS.
I can't argue he's fast, but he did score a td on a designed QB draw against Indiana when he was healthy. Not out of the question.

When you only recruit 10 total WRs in the past 5 years you are bound to run into depth issues.

2022 - 1
2021 - 3
2020 - 2
2019 - 1
2018 - 3
Yes and way more db than we will ever need considering how good a few underclassman are

Indeed he did and looked decent doing it.

There are times on the bootleg caps that Iowa favors I sometimes would like to see Spencer one or twice take off and take the easy 5-10 yards.

Depends on the defense. Some opponents read the bootleg and sink into coverage because they don’t fear the run option, others send the edge guy at the qb to make him throw early.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT