ADVERTISEMENT

Noooo! Emmet Walsh died.

St. Louis Hawk

HR Legend
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
I loved this story about his appearance in “Blood Simple” with the Coen brothers, who were making their first major film:

On the set, he took pleasure in hazing the neophyte directors. “Let’s cut this sophomoric stuff, it’s not N.Y.U. anymore,” Joel Coen recalled him saying, according to a Times article in 1985. “One time I asked him to do something just to humor me, and he said, ‘Joel, this whole damn movie is just to humor you.’”

Great character actor. I thought Cannery Row was his best roll. "The boys and I all chipped in and got you the biggest one in the whole damn catalog"

He was in my hometown. They shot a couple scenes for "Clean and Sober" and he was in the scene on the front porch of the house when the kid hits him in the back with the snowball. I was 40 feet away off camera with 200 people watching when that happened. That's why sometime I come off like Joe Hollywood on here, I guess. Being in the business and all.

He and Wilfred Brimley were two actors who always looked 70 years old.
Both were 52 in these pics.

ylvmfv3t13081.jpg

Walsh at 50

e64aac72fcf2310e11eca036b77b2b08c5a9aea6.jpg

After “Raising Arizona”, John Goodman became a regular in Coen brothers movies and Walsh did not. Walsh once said that after the brothers met Goodman they no longer needed him.

So now I’m wondering what “The Big Lebowski” would have been like with Walsh as Walter instead of Goodman.

Didn’t know that. Love both of them but hard to see anyone but Goodman in that role.

Of course Goodman’s best role will always be this …

Only half joking.

Reactions: TJ8869
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT