ADVERTISEMENT

North Carolina can count votes received 9 days after Election Day, Supreme Court rules

I'm sure that's how they see it,... but like I said, phucking with the rules is phucking with the rules,..
No one in NC is "phucking with the rules" save our own Louis DeJoy. The NC BOE is exercising its statutory obligation to adjust the rules to meet current events. Given that we're in the middle of a once-in-a-century pandemic and the hand-picked minion of POTUS is trying to slow mail delivery to a crawl, they adjusted the deadline accordingly as they are legally allowed and obligated to do. So what's your problem with that?

Elections should have deadlines. Doesn't matter what party you are for. I don't care if they start the voting a month prior, we shouldn't be counting votes post election.

For the millions of people who vote on Election Day, when should their votes be counted? Do we stop the count when the polls close or should precincts actually be able to count votes after the polls close?

The reality is that elections DO have deadlines. That's what SCOTUS ruled on - upholding state deadlines.

Reactions: billanole
Only in GOP gerrymandering wet dreams are votes counted pre election

Yup

In 2008, it took Missouri >2 weeks to finish counting and determine Obama was the winner there.

That said, what it appears the Trump Administration will do, is attempt to subvert actual vote numbers, and have state legislatures appoint Trump Electors, irrespective of the popular vote. And that means things get really messy between Nov 4 and Jan 6, 2021.

Now, if the totals for Biden are decisive, it makes this a rather iffy gambit, but when that is all Trump has left, so long as he has minions and lackeys to carry it out, he'll do it.

Uh....yes. They are.

If your contract states you must MAIL your payment by the date, then the postmark stands as the legal payment date. And you must likewise date the check on the date of payment due, and it'll be drawn on your account as of that date.

That's fundamental contract law, bro. If the postmark is the standard, then date of receipt is irrelevant.

We have SCOTUS judges ignoring this fundamental tenet of our laws, and it's rather baffling as to "why".
You started your rant with IF...

You started your rant with IF...

MOST of them DO list postmark date as the deadline.
And your check must also be dated by the deadline.

And then your BANK post-drafts that transaction as though it occurred on the check date. So, even IF you have sufficient funds a week later, when it goes through, IF you did not on the date your wrote the check, you will incur an "overdraft fee".

Last edited:
Yup

In 2008, it took Missouri >2 weeks to finish counting and determine Obama was the winner there.

That said, what it appears the Trump Administration will do, is attempt to subvert actual vote numbers, and have state legislatures appoint Trump Electors, irrespective of the popular vote. And that means things get really messy between Nov 4 and Jan 6, 2021.

Now, if the totals for Biden are decisive, it makes this a rather iffy gambit, but when that is all Trump has left, so long as he has minions and lackeys to carry it out, he'll do it.

I dont really care how long it takes to count the votes. I just don't think votes should be coming in after the election date.

No one in NC is "phucking with the rules" save our own Louis DeJoy. The NC BOE is exercising its statutory obligation to adjust the rules to meet current events. Given that we're in the middle of a once-in-a-century pandemic and the hand-picked minion of POTUS is trying to slow mail delivery to a crawl, they adjusted the deadline accordingly as they are legally allowed and obligated to do. So what's your problem with that?

As long as you are following the current election rules of your state, I have no problem...

Reactions: Finance85
I dont really care how long it takes to count the votes. I just don't think votes should be coming in after the election date.

What is the difference between me voting in person on Election Day and me voting by mail on Election Day?

What is the difference between me voting in person on Election Day and me voting by mail on Election Day?

In some states, your mail-in ballot will be invalidated under certain circumstances:

• If it is not received by 8 PM ON Election Day (in MN)
  • If it does not get a legible postmark
  • If it is held up in the mail and not received within a few days of Election Day, even WITH a viable postmark
This is in stark contrast to how military mail-in ballots have been handled over the years; nearly ALL of those have been included/counted REGARDLESS of receipt date, provided they were mailed/sent by Election Day.

9 days seems like a long time, but, this is certainly a year for doing things different.

Yup

He will do anything to stay in office and out of jail.

9 days seems like a long time, but, this is certainly a year for doing things different.
I agree. Even those of us who think the system should bend over backwards to make sure every vote gets counted recognize that we need to set some limits.

This year is problematic in so many ways, that we should be even more flexible. Nine days seems like a lot, but between the pandemic, voter suppression efforts, and a postal service that's being sabotaged from within by a political hack, it may be reasonable.

That said, I'd like to see the same standards apply in all states. Whether your vote gets counted shouldn't vary by where you live.

Roughly a week and a half into the Florida recount, the issue of counting overseas absentee ballots came front and center, and ended up giving Team Bush a major victory in the court of public opinion.

On Wednesday, November 15, 2000, Al Gore lawyer Mark Herron sent a memo to Democratic recount observers telling them how to challenge late-arriving overseas absentee ballots that did not have a valid postmark on them.

This would have potentially thrown out the votes of hundreds of military members stationed overseas. In a race separated by about 300 votes at the time, these votes could have been decisive in choosing the next president.

By Friday morning, Republican staffers got a hold of the "Herron memo" and quickly passed it up the ranks to George W. Bush's recount chief, former Secretary of State James Baker.

"We thought this is manna from heaven," Baker recalled to CNN. "How in the world can you put out a memo that the only reading of which is to suppress the votes of our military men and women?"

Baker wasted no time in seizing on the issue.

"We jumped on that with both feet as we should have," Baker explained. "Here we have our -- these brave young men and women serving us overseas. And the postmark on their ballot is one day late. And you're going to deny him the right to vote? It was a very forceful argument."

Democrats argued that they were simply following the laws.

"The idea that people were going to vote after the election and have those votes count, that's a pretty irregular idea," said Ron Klain, who served as the Gore campaign's general counsel.

"The Republicans and the clerks in counties, they were actually sticking to the law," Gore Florida Senior Adviser Nick Baldick added in a recent interview with CNN. "The clerks were elected Republicans. They were actually doing the tough thing and saying, 'No, these can't be counted. They're being FedExed in three days after the election.'"

Regardless, Bush surrogates -- including Gulf War hero Norman Schwarzkopf -- went out in force over the weekend decrying the alleged suppression of military ballots.

But that was "different".

Hell, in 2000, military ballots in Florida were counted that were CLEARLY outside of the rules.
I was going to mention that, but was hazy on the details. Weren't they not only late but many had no postmark? And way more than enough to change the outcome of the election.

One problem in 2000 was whether these were legit votes cast by eligible voters. In which case they should be counted. Or were they organized voter fraud? The circumstances were suspicious enough that either could have been true (or a mix of both).

Roughly a week and a half into the Florida recount, the issue of counting overseas absentee ballots came front and center, and ended up giving Team Bush a major victory in the court of public opinion.

On Wednesday, November 15, 2000, Al Gore lawyer Mark Herron sent a memo to Democratic recount observers telling them how to challenge late-arriving overseas absentee ballots that did not have a valid postmark on them.

This would have potentially thrown out the votes of hundreds of military members stationed overseas. In a race separated by about 300 votes at the time, these votes could have been decisive in choosing the next president.

By Friday morning, Republican staffers got a hold of the "Herron memo" and quickly passed it up the ranks to George W. Bush's recount chief, former Secretary of State James Baker.

"We thought this is manna from heaven," Baker recalled to CNN. "How in the world can you put out a memo that the only reading of which is to suppress the votes of our military men and women?"

Baker wasted no time in seizing on the issue.

"We jumped on that with both feet as we should have," Baker explained. "Here we have our -- these brave young men and women serving us overseas. And the postmark on their ballot is one day late. And you're going to deny him the right to vote? It was a very forceful argument."

Democrats argued that they were simply following the laws.

"The idea that people were going to vote after the election and have those votes count, that's a pretty irregular idea," said Ron Klain, who served as the Gore campaign's general counsel.

"The Republicans and the clerks in counties, they were actually sticking to the law," Gore Florida Senior Adviser Nick Baldick added in a recent interview with CNN. "The clerks were elected Republicans. They were actually doing the tough thing and saying, 'No, these can't be counted. They're being FedExed in three days after the election.'"

Regardless, Bush surrogates -- including Gulf War hero Norman Schwarzkopf -- went out in force over the weekend decrying the alleged suppression of military ballots.

But that was "different".

AND those were postmarked AFTER Election Day.

So, actually COMPLETELY DIFFERENT to states that want to count ballots postmarked ON OR BEFORE ELECTION DAY.

set up for an overturn after the fact.
Yeah, this is one of the most worrisome things: the GOP has set up a lot of states to be places to originate law suits.

The more law suits, the more likely one or more of them get to the Supreme Court.

I hope I'm wrong, but it seems clear that the new 6-3 Court will bend over backwards to find excuses to throw the election to Trump. See Kavanagh's latest ruling for evidence of that.

It's not just the GOP

Indeed, it IS

Benjamin L. Ginsberg practiced election law for 38 years. He co-chaired the bipartisan 2013 Presidential Commission on Election Administration.
President Trump has failed the test of leadership. His bid for reelection is foundering. And his only solution has been to launch an all-out, multimillion-dollar effort to disenfranchise voters — first by seeking to block state laws to ease voting during the pandemic, and now, in the final stages of the campaign, by challenging the ballots of individual voters unlikely to support him.
This is as un-American as it gets. It returns the Republican Party to the bad old days of “voter suppression” that landed it under a court order to stop such tactics — an order lifted before this election. It puts the party on the wrong side of demographic changes in this country that threaten to make the GOP a permanent minority.
These are painful words for me to write. I spent four decades in the Republican trenches, representing GOP presidential and congressional campaigns, working on Election Day operations, recounts, redistricting and other issues, including trying to lift the consent decree.​

The GOP lawyer (Ben Ginsberg) is telling you the TRUTH

AND:
Nearly every Election Day since 1984 I’ve worked with Republican poll watchers, observers and lawyers to record and litigate any fraud or election irregularities discovered.​
The truth is that over all those years Republicans found only isolated incidents of fraud. Proof of systematic fraud has become the Loch Ness Monster of the Republican Party. People have spent a lot of time looking for it, but it doesn’t exist.

Last edited:
Well I mean of course......because that only makes sense....

It’s not like EVERYONE knows when the election is

But I would also question why would one take any gamble with their vote being late or not counted .., if one truly cares - get it in the mail asap or vote in person on the 2nd.

Reactions: Finance85
How sad it is to recall that just seven years ago the Grand Old Party conducted an “autopsy” that emphasized the urgency of building a big tent to reach communities of color, women and young voters. Now it is erecting voting barriers for those very groups. Instead of enlarging the tent, the party has taken a chain saw to its center pole.
My party is destroying itself on the Altar of Trump. Republican elected officials, party leaders and voters must recognize how harmful this is to the party’s long-term prospects.
My fellow Republicans, look what we’ve become. It is we who must fix this. Trump should not be reelected. Vote, but not for him.

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
It's not just the GOP,.. I've also seen instances of the left attempting to twist the rules to their supposed advantage,.. The rules are what they are,.. Follow them.

Where'd you go, bro?

Why do you feel a party that wants to limit people's rights to vote is deserving of YOUR vote?

Reactions: nelly02

CourageousQuickItaliangreyhound-size_restricted.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT