ADVERTISEMENT

North Carolina receives 3rd notice of allegations in Academic Fraud Scandal

Franisdaman

HB King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Can someone please tell me how Minnesota got the book thrown at them when Clem Haskins' program got caught in academic fraud and North Carolina just goes about its business as a top ranked team in the country?

I just don't get it.

What follows
is from ESPN.com. Note, that among other things, UNC is arguing that the NCAA lacks jurisdiction. What???? Don't you feel bad for Roy??

From ESPN.com
The NCAA first filed charges in May 2015, then sent a revised notice in April, 2016. Both versions charged UNC with lack of institutional control.

UNC appeared before an infractions committee panel in October to argue the NCAA lacked jurisdiction to handle academic matters among several procedural responses to the charges.

Tar Heels men's basketball coach Roy Williams, speaking after an 85-42 win against Northern Iowa on Wednesday night, was asked about the latest NOA, which was first reported by Inside Carolina.

"My reaction is I'm tired of this junk," Williams said. "I've said everything I'm going to say. I felt all along that we have done the right thing. Whatever they do, they have to do.

"I did have one goal and I'm going to have to change it. I'd hoped the NCAA thing would be over before I retired, and now I'm hoping that it will be over before I die."

Link to entire story: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/...ird-notice-allegations-academic-fraud-scandal

Last edited:
Can someone please tell me how Minnesota got the book thrown at them when Clem Haskins' program got caught in academic fraud and North Carolina just goes about its business as a top ranked team in the country?

I just don't get it.

What follows
is from ESPN.com. Note, that among other things, UNC is arguing that the NCAA lacks jurisdiction. What???? Don't you feel bad for Roy??

From ESPN.com
The NCAA first filed charges in May 2015, then sent a revised notice in April, 2016. Both versions charged UNC with lack of institutional control.

UNC appeared before an infractions committee panel in October to argue the NCAA lacked jurisdiction to handle academic matters among several procedural responses to the charges.

Tar Heels men's basketball coach Roy Williams, speaking after an 85-42 win against Northern Iowa on Wednesday night, was asked about the latest NOA, which was first reported by Inside Carolina.

"My reaction is I'm tired of this junk," Williams said. "I've said everything I'm going to say. I felt all along that we have done the right thing. Whatever they do, they have to do.

"I did have one goal and I'm going to have to change it. I'd hoped the NCAA thing would be over before I retired, and now I'm hoping that it will be over before I die."

Link to entire story: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/...ird-notice-allegations-academic-fraud-scandal

North Carolina makes the NCAA and ESPN too much money. Of course nothing will happen to them.

Whether you like/don't like UNC, the fact the NCAA has been tripping over themselves for almost two years would indeed get old. If they did something, punish them, and get it over with.
Of course we're talking about an organization that felt that a bagel was OK to give a player, but if you included the cream cheese, it was a meal and therefore a violation.

This was bound to happen. Pretty hard for the NCAA to show up on another school's doorstep for punishment while UNC laughs in their face.
I like to imagine I had a hand in this because every time I see a program get a notice from the NCAA, I fire off an email to that AD suggesting he tell the NCAA to F O until UNC is punished.

Of course Roy does not want to talk about it. Why is that relevant?

MONEY, MONEY, MONEY. That's always the answer to every question you don't have an answer for.

You didn't seriously just compare Minnesota basketball to UNC, did you? That should be obvious.

The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky they're going to give Cleveland State another year of probation. - Jerry Tarkanian

The NCAA just has to punish UNC and be done with it. Give them a post-season ban or loss of scholly's. Something has to be done. They cheated academically for YEARS and the NCAA is just dragging their feet.

The penalty has to AT LEAST last as long as the fraud did.

One year of lost/reduced schollies or post-season bans does nothing. Vacating wins or titles does nothing but change things on paper.

I'd add that, since the kids and coach currently there had no part in it, announce the penalty, and don't enforce for at least a semester to give any of them the option to transfer free of any restrictions. Let NC recruit under 3-4 years (or however long it went on) when the kids know what they're getting into.

For something this blatant, a 1-year 'death penalty' followed by 4 years of at least 2 or more lost scholarships would seem appropriate. Otherwise, you're just rewarding cheating when it's done by the biggest programs and enticing others to do the same.

The NCAA needs to hammer North Carolina with penalties or close up shop. This is a challenge to their right to exist and maintain some semblance of control of what goes on in college athletics which is already a cesspool. Jmo.
Throw in Louisville BB, Baylor FB (no one has mentioned academic fraud at Baylor which goes hand-in-glove with everything else).

Like I have said for a long time the NCAA is a joke and the level of justice depends on who you are. Rutgers football just got penalized for some stuff in the last few years. The NCAA has no problems acting swiftly for them but when it's someone of the ilk of UNC .... drag it out so long it's just forgotten about.

This is why schools like Iowa must run a tight ship because they would get the harshest of penalties quickly for transgressions.

It's rigged and always has been.

Like I have said for a long time the NCAA is a joke and the level of justice depends on who you are. Rutgers football just got penalized for some stuff in the last few years. The NCAA has no problems acting swiftly for them but when it's someone of the ilk of UNC .... drag it out so long it's just forgotten about.

This is why schools like Iowa must run a tight ship because they would get the harshest of penalties quickly for transgressions.

It's rigged and always has been.

Like I posted: forward the email of the media rep I'd identified above. If they get a few hundred thousand fans demanding that NC be held accountable, it will get their attention.

Oh....and I'd read that this 'fraud' went on from something like 2002-2011. That's a full decade of potential sanctions IMO.

NC should be banned from play for 4 years, and get 6 more of 'half' scholarships, if you want NCAA rules to actually mean something. This isn't about a single 'physical attack case' being covered up by a school or a coach; it's systematic academic fraud that went ignored for years, and apparently was pretty well known to the BB players who'd sign up for the 'free grades'. That's not a level playing field at all for other institutions which maintain their standards and follow the rules.

I simply do not care that the current students and coach were not responsible. Let them transfer and go elsewhere w/o any penalty. But make sure the school and the rest of the schools around the country 'get the memo' here.

I wonder, certainly the NCAA has had enough brains to trademark everything they've branded? Because that may be the only thing that keeps the name around in the next few years when the power conferences include about 16 to 18 teams each and can field their own tournament field that would include most of the top 32 teams anyway.

I think, between football's 28 or so D1 teams, and the fact that most of the best basketball is in the same leagues? The day is soon that the money gets split amongst fewer teams and the authority is split just as narrowly.

When that happens, I'm not sure I'd what I'd prefer, Iowa as a bottom tier Mega school, or a top tear Student/Athlete academic school in the new "Division One A for Amateur" post apocalyptic world of what still is college sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT