ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern Leading the Nation in the Facilities Arm Race?

Franisdaman

HB King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Move over Clemson, Oregon and Alabama ... Northwestern's ridiculous new practice facility is on another level
Experts_Headshots_Pete_Thamel2_400x400.png.cf.jpg

Pete Thamel
Yahoo SportsMay 23, 2018, 5:08 PM

Some excerpts:

...The new $270 million athletic facility, Ryan Fieldhouse and Walter Athletics Center, ... opens next month. The facility looks as if a rendering from “The Jetsons” dropped on the shores of Lake Michigan, with 45-foot floor-to-ceiling windows that run the expanse of the entire practice field overlooking the water.

Fitzgerald is entering his 23rd season as a player, assistant or head coach at Northwestern, all of which have been housed in a facility that would be considered mediocre in the MAC.

The fact that Northwestern, which for decades alternated between being a Big Ten punch line and punching bag, now leads the college football facility race can be considered one of the biggest upsets in the history of college athletics. When the Wildcats move in next month, they’ll have the nicest athletic facility in all of college football. The comparisons are a bit askew, as five other varsity teams will also occupy the 425,000 square feet of the entire athletic center. It will serve as the hub for the department’s administration, medical care and academic services and also host intramurals and campus events.

But I’ve been in virtually every football building of note in America, witnessing all the Ferrari leather, barber chairs and nap rooms from Clemson to Eugene to Tuscaloosa. In terms of size, spectacle and spending, Northwestern has sprinted past the biggest names in the facilities arms race.

Phil Knight should stare with envy. Nick Saban should hop his private jet to take notes. Dabo Swinney should start another round of fundraising, as Clemson’s ode to extravagance – replete with a slide, mini-golf course and bowling lanes – cost more than $200 million less. Oregon’s football palace – considered the gold standard until Northwestern – cost just $86 million, or $186 million below Northwestern’s multi-sport palace.
The only thing comparable in the football world is the billion-dollar facility that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones built in Frisco, Texas. And while they’re difficult to compare, Northwestern’s beach-front location trumps the aesthetics of Jones’ landlocked strip malls....

In the collegiate space, Northwestern’s facility makes the University of Texas look three decades behind, sends taunting echoes to the facilities at Notre Dame and out-Hollywoods both USC and UCLA.

The opening of Ryan Fieldhouse, though, comes at a particularly captivating time for Fitzgerald’s program. Northwestern football is coming off a 10-win season, and Northwestern’s 27 wins the past three years rank as the best stretch in school history. It also puts them No. 15 overall in college football in wins over that time, a sign of perhaps a new standard now that the setting is catching up with the results.

Northwestern returns star quarterback and all-time win leader Clayton Thorson, who projects to be ready for the season coming off ACL rehab. They also host Michigan, Nebraska, Notre Dame and Wisconsin this season for what school officials are billing as the best home schedule in school history. “We’ve been a winner,” Fitzgerald says during the tour. “Now this is a commitment to becoming a championship contender.

Fitzgerald had say in every phase of designing the building and boasts about the choreographed flow from locker room to meeting rooms to the practice field. “How can we squeeze every second out of the 20 hours [players are allowed to dedicate to football]?” he says of the building philosophy. “That was the whole process behind it.”

There are curtains to diminish glare by remote control, video cameras to tape practice run by joystick from inside the building and a massive room dedicated to virtual reality screens for the Wildcat quarterbacks. There are 188 seats in the team meeting room (up from 120), 31 coaching lockers (up from 14) and an extra set of lockers for the program’s NFL alumni who can train there. There’s a barber chair, a hot/cold tub that seats 40 and a nutrition hub that includes a kitchen to teach players to cook once they move off campus.

The full story: https://sports.yahoo.com/move-clems...-unparalleled-college-football-220858185.html

CLICK ON THE IMAGE FOR A LARGER VIEW

DeDy4nhXUAAaUFi.jpg

The soon to be completed Northwestern weight room in the new Walter Athletic Center on the shores of Lake Michigan

DeSbqFDVMAIDh1t.jpg

Last edited:
That's really sweet, but at the end of the day they're still just Northwestern and they still play in a shit hole.
Impressive facility, and shows NWestern has made a committment to athletics. Obviously they still have some other recruiting hurdles to jump. Their higher academic standards make it harder to recruit many top athletes. They also probably don't have donors handing out bags of cash to recruits and players as seems so common in the south, especially the SEC, which we already know is prominent.

Impressive facility, and shows NWestern has made a committment to athletics. Obviously they still have some other recruiting hurdles to jump. Their higher academic standards make it harder to recruit many top athletes. They also probably don't have donors handing out bags of cash to recruits and players as seems so common in the south, especially the SEC, which we already know is prominent.
They are jumping those recruiting hurdles right now. I fear Iowa is being pushed down the ladder in the B1G west by them and Purdue. Anyway, Yes NW may just be leading the facilities arms race and definitely aren't taking any steps backward.

Ya for a couple of years until the next school in line upgrades their facilities.
Remember when some where saying Iowa has the best facilities a couple of years ago?

Give NW credit. They're not playing the "poor us" card: high academic standards, high school stadium, only private school in the conference . . . They're standing up and daring to compete with Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin and everybody else. No apologies or excuses. I like it. Congrats to them. And Iowa and everybody else had better get used to a NW that is competing for championships and that doesn't think it's just a "developmental program."

As for the facilities race, somebody needs to put the lid on this thing. It's already out of hand. It's amazing that every scholarship athlete doesn't act like a king when they're living in palaces and being treated the way they are. But as the NCAA says, athletes are just like their non-athlete counterparts. Sure, and Bill Gates is just like me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh, they could see a short term bump from this. However, they still wear purple, play in a high school stadium, and have some of the toughest academic standards for athletes in the country. Don’t see them competing for championships on a consistent level anytime soon.

I'm far more worried about long-term NW football than any other Big Ten West team. Great recruiting area, great private school (set thier own admin standards), very good coach, BT TV $,..... crappy fans but that can change.

Eventually King Barry will retire at Wisconsin and I think they will take a small step back, while Frost is exciting for NU and they will improve, they have lost so many of the 1990's advantages. For example, NU facility is amazing but likely to be # 3 or #4 (Minn or Purdue?) in the west soon.

NW has the best resources (location, population, education, media access....) in the BT West and IMO the TV $ will change the landscape of the west.

There is a thread on this board about a certain team "winning at all cost" while it would seem to imply that means loosening ethics the facts are football in 2018 is an "all cost" business. It is 100% an arms race. There is a "cut" coming with the conference's and TV rights and you are either going to be a "have" or a "have not". With the timeframe of everything we almost need Brian to pan out. If KF rides 7-5 into the sunset and the AD continues to act like a poor even though its sitting on one of the most profitable programs in the nation we could get left out. An organization takes on the personality of the leader and contrary to popular belief GB is the leader. 7-5 keeps everyone's jobs, I dont know any other school in the country that has the resources Iowa has that would be so accepting of .596.

Last edited:
I think this will enhance the program at Northwestern. They have a stadium issue now, and attendance is part of that issue, but I for one am not going to take my eye off of them. Great school, great coach, big town. They are moving in the right direction.

This ain't yo daddy's Northwestern any more.

Last edited:
Iowa does quite well in terms of sports revenue. We also get good money from our donors too. When it comes to keeping up with the Jones's ... we will and we will keep ourselves competitive. As others says ... the facilities arms race IS out of control ... and is a bit of a waste of money. But as long as our recruiting keeps up ... it's been serving its purpose.

Reactions: Wadzinator
Give NW credit. They're not playing the "poor us" card: high academic standards, high school stadium, only private school in the conference . . . They're standing up and daring to compete with Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin and everybody else. No apologies or excuses. I like it. Congrats to them. And Iowa and everybody else had better get used to a NW that is competing for championships and that doesn't think it's just a "developmental program."

As for the facilities race, somebody needs to put the lid on this thing. It's already out of hand. It's amazing that every scholarship athlete doesn't act like a king when they're living in palaces and being treated the way they are. But as the NCAA says, athletes are just like their non-athlete counterparts. Sure, and Bill Gates is just like me.

Everyone in the conference is competing. Literally everyone has either upgraded facilities or is in the process of doing so. But I'm not sure how this proves Northwestern is willing to compete more than Iowa. In the Ferentz era, Iowa has more conference titles, more division titles, more BCS bowl appearances, more Top 10 finishes. So I'm not sure why the dig at Iowa as a "developmental program." Fleck at Minnesota is telling Minnesota boosters that he want to return Minnesota to what Alabama is now. That and $1 will get me a cup of coffee at McDonald's. Kudos to Northwestern. But they still aren't going to recruit better players than OSU, Michigan, etc. They can't recruit everyone because their academic standards won't allow them to.

You can paint a Ferrari any color you want and it's still a Ferrari... A gym is a gym.... They can make it look as pretty as they want but at the end of the day the Athlete still has to use it and become better because of it... At what point does all the "Fluff" become a distraction?

You can paint a Ferrari any color you want and it's still a Ferrari... A gym is a gym.... They can make it look as pretty as they want but at the end of the day the Athlete still has to use it and become better because of it... At what point does all the "Fluff" become a distraction?
I wonder too if this might be distracting.

Like most things it depends on the person.

I can understand some degree of frustration with KF's low key approach, but surely your not saying that Iowa has taken a back seat when it comes to spending on the football stadium complex etc...They have literally spent 100's of millions of $$$$ on Kinnick, the football complex, the indoor facility, and yes coaches salaries. Iowa has made the committment to competing for championships. As far as NW facility, yes they had a lot of windows, and it looks like a great view. I'm not sure if the rest of the complex is a big upgrade from what Iowa has done, but like everything else in this race, its the shiny new penny, FOR NOW.

Everyone in the conference is competing. Literally everyone has either upgraded facilities or is in the process of doing so. But I'm not sure how this proves Northwestern is willing to compete more than Iowa. In the Ferentz era, Iowa has more conference titles, more division titles, more BCS bowl appearances, more Top 10 finishes. So I'm not sure why the dig at Iowa as a "developmental program." Fleck at Minnesota is telling Minnesota boosters that he want to return Minnesota to what Alabama is now. That and $1 will get me a cup of coffee at McDonald's. Kudos to Northwestern. But they still aren't going to recruit better players than OSU, Michigan, etc. They can't recruit everyone because their academic standards won't allow them to.
Thanks for that Dodger. I think everyone is getting a little blinded with the shiny new bobble. Yes, cudo's to NW for stepping up, but Christ they had to do something to not be left in the dust. Its also a little silly to act like Iowa hasn't made one hell of an effort to keep up with the Jones. Anyone who had ever walked through the football complex 10 years ago, and then returned now, would have to say otherwise.

In the grand scheme, we have accomplished very little based on resources given and opposed to the money spent per meaningful victory as opposed to our national peers

Ah yes, the fan, who isn't a fan of anything to do with Iowa athletics. Thanks for adding your 2 cents as usual.......:rolleyes:.

Can always count on him to be glass half empty guy. What a miserable existence that must be.

In the grand scheme, we have accomplished very little based on resources given and opposed to the money spent per meaningful victory as opposed to our national peers
Your so full of it. Please enlighten us on $$$$ spent vs significant victories for each of the top 30 or so teams.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Can always count on him to be glass half empty guy. What a miserable existence that must be.
Hell it's not even the half empty crowd. Its the absolutely NOTHING to do with the program is of any value at all. The clown acts like Iowa is the richest school in the USA, and has been pre Snyder KSU or something. I guess the one redeeming quality he has, is that someone must be on the other end of the spectrum of what a fan is. Congrats iowa 12, you THE MAN!

There's a difference between competing for and winning championships.

Until Northwestern actually pulls their f***ing weight and beats Ohio State (especially), Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State, and/or Wisconsin when they're actually worth a sh**, then they'll be nothing more than a bunch of fun-sucking a-holes who get their jollies on spoiling other aspiring teams' opportunities, such as Iowa.......and well......only Iowa, at this point.

That's really all Northwestern has been good for over the last decade.

Those ON-FIELD results aren't going to change for their better just because they invested money into upgrading their facilities.

Deal with it.

There's a difference between competing for and winning championships.

Until Northwestern actually pulls their f***ing weight and beats Ohio State (especially), Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State, and/or Wisconsin when they're actually worth a sh**, then they'll be nothing more than a bunch of fun-sucking a-holes who get their jollies on spoiling other aspiring teams' opportunities, such as Iowa.......and well......only Iowa, at this point.

That's really all Northwestern has been good for over the last decade.

Those ON-FIELD results aren't going to change for their better just because they invested money into upgrading their facilities.

Deal with it.

Evil you realize we have never won an outright championship under Kf right?

The irony of the facilities race is that while colleges have become bastions of collectivist propaganda, the people in charge have become naked uber-moneygrubbers. Many schools have a platinum credit-card named: The Athletic Department, and yet how many schools operate in the red? Just another reminder, never give Fort Knox to a marxist. lol

Iowa's facilities are prolly gonna seem very outdated in 5-8 yrs
True. In the spirit of hearkening back to Cold War motifs, Iowa will be in a "facilities gap" type scenario with numerous programs. In about 15 years I propose a roughly 2 Billion dollar overhaul for Kinnick. Details coming up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT