ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern Leading the Nation in the Facilities Arm Race?

And I bet that stadium will continue to be a shit hole they can't possibly have any major money available for a while to give Ryan field any updates was there 2 years ago place is a toilet.

Major money not a problem at a school in suburban Chicago with an endowment almost ten times larger than Iowa!

Can’t just use the price tag - 90% of the cost is probably lining pockets of corrupt Illinois politicians/unions/criminal enterprises
^^^^^^^^^
Penis envy? You do what you have to do any where and Chicago is no exception.
Don't ever underestimate the financial prowess of NW, it is tremendous. Fitz has done a tremendous job there and has the financial backing to do this.
The facility is located on prime real estate on Lake Michigan...absolutely stunning overlook of the lake. Huge patio/dining facility, great locker rooms and meeting rooms and study areas. Indoor field, 1 1/2 outdoor fields absolutely state of the art. If nothing else, NW has announced to all they are ready to play.
Their basketball arena will be very nice, too. They have made bif improvements in their facilities.
Plus, being a private school...they dont have to tell anyone what they spend! And, they got it to spend.
I believe the founder/owner of Alliance Insurance is a grad from there....there are several buildings on campus bearing his name/gifts.

Your posts smack of over compensation. Dying to know about your Doctorate. Please impress us all. (which is what you're really here for)

Having an advanced degree is a bit like being "cool". If you have to tell people you have it...well...

LOL! You're the one who questioned my education over grammar on a football message board. I'm here to address silly comments about the NU program and their new facilities.

Yes, having an advanced degree IS "cool" because you can smack ignorant douchebags who make picayune grammatical critiques of your posts on football message boards.

Oh, and you forgot to hyphenate "over-compensation".

LOL! You're the one who questioned my education over grammar on a football message board. I'm here to address silly comments about the NU program and their new facilities.

Yes, having an advanced degree IS "cool" because you can smack ignorant douchebags who make picayune grammatical critiques of your posts on football message boards.

Oh, and you forgot to hyphenate "over-compensation".

I'm impressed.

That might be correct, but NW athletics had the price of the project in place prior to asking the donors to pledge their giving.

I compare it to a school paying a coach $30m when every other school is paying their coach $10m. Sure you can do it, but as a steward of the money.....was that really smart?

That's not how it happened. Multibillionaire Pat Ryan is a former player who initiated and was the driving force behind this huge upgrade. It's somewhat analogous to Phil Knight's relationship with Oregon. Do you think Oregon initiated and arrived at a price for their latest football facility before approaching Phil Knight for a donation? The idea was hatched as part of efforts to retain Pat Fitzgerald at NU, to correct the woeful facilities and support for athletics in the past, and provide Fitz with what he needs for the program to be successful.

Northwestern has a serious problem with a lack of space onto which it can expand. To build those facilities and others on the shore of Lake Michigan on a landfill likely required special engineering for compliance that isn't required for normal construction sites. Also, construction costs in the Chicago area are high. The facility is also multi-purpose, housing several other athletic programs, as well as serving other functions for the University. It benefits more than just the football program.

It's funny to read this on a message board where posters constantly complain about Ferentz's large contract.

Reactions: rchawk
^^^^^^^^^
Penis envy? You do what you have to do any where and Chicago is no exception.
Don't ever underestimate the financial prowess of NW, it is tremendous. Fitz has done a tremendous job there and has the financial backing to do this.
The facility is located on prime real estate on Lake Michigan...absolutely stunning overlook of the lake. Huge patio/dining facility, great locker rooms and meeting rooms and study areas. Indoor field, 1 1/2 outdoor fields absolutely state of the art. If nothing else, NW has announced to all they are ready to play.
Their basketball arena will be very nice, too. They have made bif improvements in their facilities.
Plus, being a private school...they dont have to tell anyone what they spend! And, they got it to spend.
I believe the founder/owner of Alliance Insurance is a grad from there....there are several buildings on campus bearing his name/gifts.

Pat Ryan's AON Corporation is the largest insurance broker in the world based on revenue, with revenues over $10 billion. Yes, he's donated heavily to Northwestern University and was head of their Board of Trustees for many years.

Another major donor was Mark Walter, co-founder & CEO of Guggenheim Partners investment banking firm with $270bilion in assets, who has a net worth himself of $3.6 billion. (Wikipedia)

It would be nice to beat them in football.... that’s all I’d like to add.. yep, their new facility looks awesome and trendy.. 3 years of L’s to them is too much.. I don’t care where they practice at.

Pat Ryan's AON Corporation is the largest insurance broker in the world based on revenue, with revenues over $10 billion. Yes, he's donated heavily to Northwestern University and was head of their Board of Trustees for many years.

Another major donor was Mark Walter, co-founder & CEO of Guggenheim Partners investment banking firm with $270bilion in assets, who has a net worth himself of $3.6 billion. (Wikipedia)
Thank you! I knew about some dude with a lot of insurance $$$....

In the grand scheme, we have accomplished very little based on resources given and opposed to the money spent per meaningful victory as opposed to our national peers
Go back to Ames.

Why? It produces guaranteed wins year after year after year. Dang! We now OWN Ioa, pretty stadium, mediocre facilities, writing workshop and all! Ioa may have to close the blinds at the Children's hospital from all the hurt and sadness Northwestern dispenses every time we play in Ioa City.
LOL - Iowa vs N'Western has a 4 & 4 record over last 8 seasons, but I expect Iowa's win % vs N'Western to return to historical percentage of approximately 65% (overall series is 50 wins, 27 losses, and 3 ties). Now that's domination. BTW - was nice to see the mildcat hoops team return to true form last season:)

I am really impressed by the comments of Hawkeye fans in this thread regarding the current status and future of NU football. As for the new football facility, it is a campus and all sports facility. And its location overlooking Lake Michigan, the campus and the Chicago skyline ensures it will never be duplicated. The new basketball arena opened to rave reviews last week. The new hoops practice facility next door to the arena will open in the Spring. And then all eyes and dollars will focus on the HS stadium. I expect it will remain small by BIG standards but will soon be first class as well. Total investment in new sports facilities will be north of 500 million. Maybe as high as 650+ million.

Recruiting at NU has already seen a significant bump. Coach Collins had the #1 2021 hoops recruit on campus last weekend for the ND game. He was joined by the #23 and #28 recruits in that same class. Amazing what a single NCAA appearance ... great facilities ... and a pedigreed coach can do for a program that defined bottom dweller for decades.

Football recruiting has also seen a significant bump. The 2019 class needed to land some upgraders on offense. Enter former 5 star QB from Clemson ... Hunter Johnson. And true OTs (a rarity at NU) turning down programs like PSU to play in Evanston. And WRs with top 10 offer lists choosing the Cats. No .. NU will never recruit like OSU or Michigan. But there is plenty of room to improve the recruiting short of that benchmark. NU fans are excited to see what Fitz can do with better ingredients.

Don't discount the benefit of having a stud AD and a President and Trustees now totally committed to athletic success ... for the first time ever in Evanston.

Contending for West titles with regularity is within reach for the nerdy small school. Occasional flirtations with Top 10 rankings and elite bowls a possibility. We've seen it at Iowa and Wisconsin. And at Stanford. ND is different. They play by an entirely different set of academic admissions rules than Stamford and NU.

Go Hawks. Love you guys since Hayden left.

GOUNUII
LOL...Mildcat basketball is a joke.

What you guys don't realize is NU's workout and practice facilities used to be over a mile away from campus. Now, they are RIGHT ON CAMPUS and they're outstanding with spectacular views! That translates into more efficient use of time and players spending more time working out or getting treatments in an excellent facility. It's THE place to be on campus for athletes!

Again...EVERYTHING IS RIGHT ON CAMPUS! Never had that before.
Oooohhhh, we're scared little man.

We have .500 or winning records against Michigan State, Wisconsin, and particularly IOWA. Kinnick Stadium is Ryan Field West.

Deal with it.
It's cute watching you try to eat at the adult table...it won't last long...after all you are Northwestern. Come to think of it...how many Northwestern universities/colleges exist in the United States? Of the top of my head...there's Northwestern College in Orange City, Iowa; University of Northwestern in St. Paul, MN; and Northwestern State University in Louisiana. Not a very original name...Northwestern is just a lame directional school name.

It's cute watching you try to eat at the adult table...it won't last long...after all you are Northwestern. Come to think of it...how many Northwestern universities/colleges exist in the United States? Of the top of my head...there's Northwestern College in Orange City, Iowa; University of Northwestern in St. Paul, MN; and Northwestern State University in Louisiana. Not a very original name...Northwestern is just a lame directional school name.
Hans...I think you need to be more mindful of Dylan’s classic, “The Times, They Are a Changin’”......this is not the Northwestern you want to remember or talk about. And they aren’t doing it with smoke and mirrors, either.

Reactions: Herkmeister
Hans...I think you need to be more mindful of Dylan’s classic, “The Times, They Are a Changin’”......this is not the Northwestern you want to remember or talk about. And they aren’t doing it with smoke and mirrors, either.
Perhaps, but this Gladeskat character has been kind of a pain to deal with b4, so I was kind of trying to get a rise out of him:)

Last edited:
IMG_6845-1038x555.jpg

So you step outside of those windows of those practice facilities and you realize you are freezing your ass off in the fall weather off of lake Michigan .... then you show up to the stadium and realize that every team you play has more fans attending than you do....

So you step outside of those windows of those practice facilities and you realize you are freezing your ass off in the fall weather off of lake Michigan .... then you show up to the stadium and realize that every team you play has more fans attending than you do....

It is prime real estate. NU's practice facility would rake in many, many millions if they were not devoting it to their athletes.

You are a short el ride from Chicago bars and restaurants, getting an education from one of the most prestigious universities in the nation. If the stadium isn't that great, consider that the players don't spend a lot of time there.

Stadium improvements are probably next on the list. Fitz is still a young man and NU will find the money.

Last edited:
Sorry but weight room view to me is just one big distraction, nice, but major distraction. I’m there to work, not enjoy view. Just sayin. Nice facility though.

It is prime real estate. NU's practice facility would rake in many, many millions if they were not devoting it to their athletes.

You are a short el ride from Chicago bars and restaurants, getting an education from one of the most prestigious universities in the nation. If the stadium isn't that great, consider that the players don't spend a lot of time there.

Stadium improvements are probably next on the list. Fitz is still a young man and NU will find the money.
I'd prefer that he didn't......because f*** Pat Fitzgerald. That's why.

Then you would know that they were over a mile away from campus. Ryan Field is NOT on main campus.
Lulz.....I scared the poor Northwestern fan.

"I didn't reply because it wasn't worth my time."

No, you didn't reply because you couldn't come up with a better comeback.

A good troll knows how to make the most of his environment. Not just rely on a team's success against another team. Northwestern fans wouldn't know about that though because they're not very good trolls.

Fans of far better programs try to hang their wins over Iowa every year.....and it still doesn't help them.

Ignoring is not winning, my aging friend. :cool:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT