ADVERTISEMENT

Not your fathers B10

drh1150

HR MVP
Jan 11, 2003
Can't remember when the conference has been so thoroughly mediocre as this current campaign.

And though I like Owen Freeman, his being the B10 freshman of the week 8 times tells you there is a talent drain in the conference.
Where's the fresh blood?

This year's McDonald's AA team of 24 has 3 headed to the B10 next year (2 to Rutgers), and yes there are a few uncommitted, but the 5 stars are looking elsewhere.

Maybe it's the state of men's college basketball in general (the championship game in last year's Big Dance was watched by the fewest in 10 years, UConn beat San Diego St, if you've forgotten), maybe it's the portal effect. Whatever it is, the game has lost some of it's luster (was there a snowstorm last night to keep the Maryland crowd away?) and attendance is reflective.

March Madness, I don't think so.
March Who Gives a Shit.

Last edited:
Agree, it's kind of a mystery why more recruits don't want to play in the Big. Outside of Freeman and Cam Christie from Minnesota, there really aren't any notable freshman this year.

OP hit on arguably the two biggest factors: 1. Good players leaving early, or skipping the college game altogether, to play professionally 2. Increased player moves between teams chasing NIL dollars/exposure/playing time and the like.

#1 impacts the overall talent level in the top end of NCAA D-1 in that the most talented guys are spending the least amount of time playing college ball. This has been true for a while and continues to move in that direction.
#2 impacts any given team significantly in an increased amount of turnover. Some fan bases are probably adjusting better than others to this. Some have found success with it (see isu). However, the overall impact is less consistency of rosters over the long haul. I think this does impact fans on a broad scale in having less strong ties to their team.

OP hit on arguably the two biggest factors: 1. Good players leaving early, or skipping the college game altogether, to play professionally 2. Increased player moves between teams chasing NIL dollars/exposure/playing time and the like.

#1 impacts the overall talent level in the top end of NCAA D-1 in that the most talented guys are spending the least amount of time playing college ball. This has been true for a while and continues to move in that direction.
#2 impacts any given team significantly in an increased amount of turnover. Some fan bases are probably adjusting better than others to this. Some have found success with it (see isu). However, the overall impact is less consistency of rosters over the long haul. I think this does impact fans on a broad scale in having less strong ties to their team.

Those factors matter but Big12 and ACC had 3 sweet16 teams last year and B1G zero. It seems like the B1G has suffered even more.

If Iowa State makes another sweet16 or better ncaa run, I don't know how the Fran Fan's can keep making excuses for Fran and his perennial 0.500 conference record and DOA if his teams hit NCAA tourney. Sure he's in lousy Big10 conference but that also means its easier to win in B1G then it used to be.

(was there a snowstorm last night to keep the Maryland crowd away?) and attendance is reflective.

March Madness, I don't think so.
March Who Gives a Shit.
No kidding.

I couldn't believe how empty that place was. For what I think of as traditionally a basketball school that was shocking.

What a perfect opportunity to "steal" a road win ... ... Sigh

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT