ADVERTISEMENT

NYT: We kept schools closed too long

Nothing about that escapes me. You are completely ignoring the substance of my posts.
I completely understand the "substance" of your post. You keep talking about what we should have done without for even a single second thinking about the actual people on the other end of that. What we should have done and what we could have done don't come remotely close to aligning and your inability to comprehend that is at the bottom of all of this.

I completely understand the "substance" of your post. You keep talking about what we should have done without for even a single second thinking about the actual people on the other end of that. What we should have done and what we could have done don't come remotely close to aligning and your inability to comprehend that is at the bottom of all of this.

Spot on.

Lots of older teachers didn't want to get exposed to Covid w/o a vaccine.
And even younger/middle aged ones who needed to care for aging parents and didn't want to expose them would be in the same boat.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12

I’m not talking about we should have done. I am talking about the comparisons between how different schools handled the pandemic, and what the results were. It is 100% focused on the people, and how it affected them. All I’m talking about is the bottom line.

Until you’re prepared to say the studies cited in the OP are wrong, you are not arguing to my point. It is nothing but sound and fury.

You mean, a point the Op Ed didn't even touch on?

That “point” was supplying reasons as to why school closings would be the lesser of two evils. The studies we’re reviewing whether or not those predictions were true.

The article makes two points, are you refuting either of them?

“The more time students spent in remote instruction, the further they fell behind. And, experts say, extended closures did little to stop the spread of Covid.”

Note that we were NOT acting on our best evidence. By fall of 2020 we knew it would be better to open schools than to keep them closed. The most vulnerable continue to pay the price.
If any of you bullsh1t artist truly gave a crap you would be far more concerned about phones in schools. They are far worse on education than Covid.

• Haha
That “point” was supplying reasons as to why school closings would be the lesser of two evils. The studies we’re reviewing whether or not those predictions were true.
The Op Ed does not touch AT ALL on the issue of teachers becoming ill, or infecting family members who would be at risk.

• Haha
Spot on.

Lots of older teachers didn't want to get exposed to Covid w/o a vaccine.
And even younger/middle aged ones who needed to care for aging parents and didn't want to expose them would be in the same boat.
The 1 school district in the metro (Millard) that went in person in fall of 2020 was open for 3 days before they shut down for multiple weeks because of a covid outbreak.

• Haha
The Op Ed does not touch AT ALL on the issue of teachers becoming ill, or infecting family members who would be at risk.

True. It did not focus on individual anecdotes but rather on statistics regarding entire communities. Usually this is considered a good thing by people trying to soberly assess the success of a policy.

If any of you bullsh1t artist truly gave a crap you would be far more concerned about phones in schools. They are far worse on education than Covid.
I have lots of thoughts about education, what is effective, what isn’t, what the goals should be, diverting public funds to private schools, and yes, getting smart devices out of the classroom. Discussing one topic does not preclude people from holding strong opinions on other topics.

True. It did not focus on individual anecdotes

No; it did not analyze that topic at all. There's nothing "anecdotal" about it.

Meanwhile, there's a strong correlation between areas that kept schools open (Trump counties) and about a 3:1 ratio in deaths in those same areas.

And, as I'd already explained to you: many school districts were already struggling with coverage in having enough teachers. Losing a few for a month due to Covid, or permanently due to death, meant "no school" vs "remote school".

• Haha
Reactions: Pinehawk
I’m not talking about we should have done. I am talking about the comparisons between how different schools handled the pandemic, and what the results were. It is 100% focused on the people, and how it affected them. All I’m talking about is the bottom line.

Until you’re prepared to say the studies cited in the OP are wrong, you are not arguing to my point. It is nothing but sound and fury.
That the longer schools were closed, the farther behind children fell? I don't know who disputes that. Certainly, not me.
True. It did not focus on individual anecdotes but rather on statistics regarding entire communities. Usually this is considered a good thing by people trying to soberly assess the success of a policy.
A "policy" can only be as effective as your ability to implement it. And examining it after the fact can only inform choices going forward - using it to thump your chest and proclaim how "right" you were is dumb.

In August of 2020, people were going to keep their children at home - they weren't concerned about the "entire community", they were concerned about their own households and they were far more concerned about Covid than any potential "learning loss". More than a year later, when given the choice between in-person instruction and remote instruction, most of the families in our district still chose to remain remote. So many of our teachers refused to return to the classroom that the district had to set up a totally remote school. I know the same thing happened in our neighboring district and their fully remote school is still open as parents protest plans to close it. Now you can somehow dismiss that reality in your attempts to demonstrate that we "got it wrong" but anyone with the slightest trace of common sense knows better.

Reactions: SB_SB
A lot of Monday morning quarterbacking in this thread. There were more factors to consider than just “kids weren’t likely to die from covid”
Like the long term damage that would occur by keeping kids away from school and friends for months?
You're right, that factor didn't get the consideration it deserved at the time.

A lot of Monday morning quarterbacking in this thread. There were more factors to consider than just “kids weren’t likely to die from covid”
Like having to pander to teachers unions? You mean like the CDC and Fauci having to admit they were mistaken about a lot of things, which would cause them credibility issues?

And that was my point: https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/nyt-we-kept-schools-closed-too-long.439763/post-11988461

" The point on any post-mortem is to look back at things when we are no longer in the heat of the moment to review what mistakes were made so we can hopefully do better the next time."
So what's the plan to deal with families and teachers who will - next time - refuse to report for in-person school? I don't understand what "doing better" means. I seriously doubt anyone does.

Like the long term damage that would occur by keeping kids away from school and friends for months?
nice response to monday morning quarterbacking citing something that defines it.

nice response to monday morning quarterbacking citing something that defines it.
Many knew it was a poor decision at the time. And, many said it at the time. You and others defended keeping schools closed, and you were wrong. The data proves it.

Certainly made sense to err on the side of caution. My wife's school went back in person to start the 2020/2021 school year but masks required. Except then half the parents took their kids to a chiropractor to get a note so they didn't have to wear masks.

Certainly made sense to err on the side of caution. My wife's school went back in person to start the 2020/2021 school year but masks required. Except then half the parents took their kids to a chiropractor to get a note so they didn't have to wear masks.
And, yet, I'll bet those kids are just fine now.

Many knew it was a poor decision at the time. And, many said it at the time. You and others defended keeping schools closed, and you were wrong. The data proves it.
Some of you people are so black and white. There were many different things to consider when it came to life with COVID. School were just one piece. People were concerned for their lives. You can declare schools open but then you better be prepared for teachers to not show up. Everyone had a decision to make for them. You can't expect people to risk their lives for others. If your kid is behind then you need to step up and help your kid, it's called being a parent.

Some of you people are so black and white. There were many different things to consider when it came to life with COVID. School were just one piece. People were concerned for their lives. You can declare schools open but then you better be prepared for teachers to not show up. Everyone had a decision to make for them. You can't expect people to risk their lives for others. If your kid is behind then you need to step up and help your kid, it's called being a parent.

That's fine when you are addressing an individual parent. From a public policy perspective, however, it is irresponsible. You have to understand that a significant percentage of parents do not have the tools to help a child succeed. Many did not have the luxury of jobs they could perform remotely, meaning children were home alone or with a just as unprepared relative.

Anyone making public policy knew that, and needed to take it into consideration. They also knew that the children who were least ready for remote schooling were also already the most vulnerable. As cavalier as many Republic governors were in reopening schools, many on the left were cavalier with the known harm that remote schooling was going to cause the most vulnerable of children.

You have to understand that a significant percentage of parents do not have the tools to help a child succeed.

And, instead of setting up social safety nets for those kids, we ban abortions, entirely, and cut taxes for the rich.

That's fine when you are addressing an individual parent. From a public policy perspective, however, it is irresponsible. You have to understand that a significant percentage of parents do not have the tools to help a child succeed. Many did not have the luxury of jobs they could perform remotely, meaning children were home alone or with a just as unprepared relative.

Anyone making public policy knew that, and needed to take it into consideration. They also knew that the children who were least ready for remote schooling were also already the most vulnerable. As cavalier as many Republic governors were in reopening schools, many on the left were cavalier with the known harm that remote schooling was going to cause the most vulnerable of children.
You need to let go. There was no way to force teachers to show up. it was a Pandemic. Get over it and move on, your more damaged from not letting go than the damage the pandemic caused you. See a doctor about letting go.

• Sad
You need to let go. There was no way to force teachers to show up. it was a Pandemic. Get over it and move on, your more damaged from not letting go than the damage the pandemic caused you. See a doctor about letting go.

Teachers showed up where schools opened earlier. You’re arguing a prediction that didn’t come true.

Nice tactic, though, going personal when you lose on logic.

Last edited:
LOL...2,000+ people were dying every day. ICU's were overwhelmed. They were stacking bodies in refrigerator trucks. A large percentage of people knew someone who died. Would you not think "(excessive) precaution" might be warranted in such a situation?
I must have missed the truckloads of school age children.

Like having to pander to teachers unions? You mean like the CDC and Fauci having to admit they were mistaken about a lot of things, which would cause them credibility issues?
Bored Christopher Walken GIF

Either admit being wrong or move the goalposts to older teachers getting sick.

I think we knew the play that would be made.

All of these avoidance and mitigation measures were well intended but based on a false premise. The premise that we wouldnt all get it eventually.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT