ADVERTISEMENT

NYT: We kept schools closed too long

Teachers showed up where schools opened earlier. You’re arguing a prediction that didn’t come true.

Nice tactic, though, going personal when you lose on logic.
There’s a big difference between the time when covid first showed up and when things started to open back up. My daughter’s a teacher and in her school the teachers required remote learning or there was going to be a number of teachers taking a leave. At the tome my daughter lived with us and she was very concerned about bring the virus home and killing one of us. You can say whatever you want, but it was better to be safe rather than sorry. The virus left an impact on everyone. You’re still being impacted.

Reactions: Joes Place
Teachers showed up where schools opened earlier.
District identified? The ones I'm familiar with opened fully remote schools to accommodate teachers and families who didn't want to attend in-person during a global pandemic killing thousands every day.

There’s a big difference between the time when covid first showed up and when things started to open back up. My daughter’s a teacher and in her school the teachers required remote learning or there was going to be a number of teachers taking a leave. At the tome my daughter lived with us and she was very concerned about bring the virus home and killing one of us. You can say whatever you want, but it was better to be safe rather than sorry. The virus left an impact on everyone. You’re still being impacted.
But art's NOT finding fault in the past. He said so. This is all about looking forward to the next time.

Except, notably, there's been no actual plan advanced to address "next time" and simply criticism of what WAS done. Curious, eh?

But art's NOT finding fault in the past. He said so. This is all about looking forward to the next time.

Except, notably, there's been no actual plan advanced to address "next time" and simply criticism of what WAS done. Curious, eh?

They'll never have a plan because "the next time" won't be like "the last time". What if the next time the virus is worse for kids than the elderly. I suspect people like art are going to want to keep the schools open and that could be a major catastrophe.

I typically agree with art on this board. For this topic he has a different view because he's personally impacted by it with his daughter and wife. I lost a good friend to covid and I too am still impacted by what happened. The difference is, art still gets to see his wife and kids, I don't have that ability with my friend. I suspect it will never happen but art needs to be thankful for how it turned out for him.

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
Reading into it a little bit the concern isn't just the time that was lost, this group of children appears to really be struggling re-engaging.

There are people from all ages struggling with re-engaging and other issues. This isn't just a school thing that caused that. During Covid, people didn't go to the gym, didn't go the the movies, didn't interact with people of opposite views. Covid will have a lasting impact on everyone, just like wars, the depression, and other life changing events. When my friend's son got married there was no dad there to celebrate, and now they have a child. There's no grandpa for that child. It was life changing for everyone, even the unborn.

There are people from all ages struggling with re-engaging and other issues. This isn't just a school thing that caused that. During Covid, people didn't go to the gym, didn't go the the movies, didn't interact with people of opposite views. Covid will have a lasting impact on everyone, just like wars, the depression, and other life changing events. When my friend's son got married there was no dad there to celebrate, and now they have a child. There's no grandpa for that child. It was life changing for everyone, even the unborn.
I agree. The rules put in place were far too over reaching and were certainly an attempt at a new normal.

Why were healthy people not able to attend outside activities? The gym? Frankly I'm of the belief instead of turning to pharma we should have had a national push to get healthy, why do that when we can ship tax money to.pfizer though?

Reactions: Pinehawk
I agree. The rules put in place were far too over reaching and were certainly an attempt at a new normal.

Why were healthy people not able to attend outside activities? The gym? Frankly I'm of the belief instead of turning to pharma we should have had a national push to get healthy, why do that when we can ship tax money to.pfizer though?

Not sure what you mean by "get healthy". Are you thinking that walking on a treadmill is a vaccine?

Not sure what you mean by "get healthy". Are you thinking that walking on a treadmill is a vaccine?
No, I'm thinking exercise increases immune system while also reducing one of the major comorbides that went with covid deaths( obesity).

But you don't make money selling people on free exercise. It's easier to just convince dipshits to get a shot than evaluate the poor life decisions they make.

Next time, listen to the experts, even if you don’t like what they say. Make decisions that are fact based, not fear based. Pediatricians recommended a return to school in June of 2020, and they were shouted down.

From the last line in the article: “Could we have used data to better guide our decision making? Yes,” said Dr. Uzma N. Hasan, division chief of pediatric infectious diseases at RWJBarnabas Health in Livingston, N.J. “Fear should not guide our decision making.”

Next time, listen to the experts, even if you don’t like what they say. Make decisions that are fact based, not fear based.
Science says an odor molecule is much larger than a virus and I can still smell.your stinky ass through a n95 so it sure as shit isn't stopping a virus.

No, I'm thinking exercise increases immune system while also reducing one of the major comorbides that went with covid deaths( obesity).

But you don't make money selling people on free exercise. It's easier to just convince dipshits to get a shot than evaluate the poor life decisions they make.

This seems more like a generic argument about people taking care of themselves. It really has nothing to do with the pandemic. Sounds like you need to start a group to promote good health. Go for it, make the world a better place, or you can continue to just bitch and complain. I wonder which one you'll choose. Once the pandemic hit, exercising wasn't go to help, so something else had to be done. What did you expect trump to do, he's an obese person who was high risk.

• Haha
This seems more like a generic argument about people taking care of themselves. It really has nothing to do with the pandemic. Sounds like you need to start a group to promote good health. Go for it, make the world a better place, or you can continue to just bitch and complain. I wonder which one you'll choose. Once the pandemic hit, exercising wasn't go to help, so something else had to be done. What did you expect trump to do, he's an obese person who was high risk.
I agree that it was foolish for Trump to have sent out the first stimulus and start the trend of basement dwelling.

I ref soccer and promote healthy outdoor activity in my small community already.

Did you get that bet right?

Yes, we need to create a culture of personal health and accountability instead of immediately shipping a shit ton of money to Pfizer.

Did we overreact in some areas? Yes
Even with the overreactions, did millions of people still die? Yes
Are there lessons to be learned? Yes

Anyone who claims to have known anything for certain early in the pandemic is full of shit.

Reactions: SB_SB
Looks like even when we have data about the response, years later, some people still won’t accept it.
No mistakes, no lessons to be learned.

Next time, listen to the experts, even if you don’t like what they say. Make decisions that are fact based, not fear based. Pediatricians recommended a return to school in June of 2020, and they were shouted down.

From the last line in the article: “Could we have used data to better guide our decision making? Yes,” said Dr. Uzma N. Hasan, division chief of pediatric infectious diseases at RWJBarnabas Health in Livingston, N.J. “Fear should not guide our decision making.”

If schools can be completely run by children then the Pediatricians would be the only experts. But in this case there are adults at the school and these need a voice as well. The pediatricians weren't the only experts to listen to.

Fear is what helps to guide all of us along with knowledge. In uncertain times, fear might be all we have to protect ourselves.

• Haha
I agree that it was foolish for Trump to have sent out the first stimulus and start the trend of basement dwelling.

I ref soccer and promote healthy outdoor activity in my small community already.

Did you get that bet right?

Yes, we need to create a culture of personal health and accountability instead of immediately shipping a shit ton of money to Pfizer.

We've all coached or ref'd for sports. What I'm talking about is really putting yourself out there, start a 501c3 and really focus on good health. Don't just be a weekend warrior.

O cool, when and where did youbref/coach?

Soccer, basketball, softball, baseball. It's weird, I've never claimed that by me volunteering to coach I'm this great person promoting good health in my community, like you're claiming. Personally I feel you need to do more in order to claim that.

Hahahahaja...
My friend.... that bullshit is from may of 2021. You might want to look at the information more current.

Also, science doesn't care about your feelings. An odor particle is much larger than a virus.

MAGA summed up in post...pure ignorance

Hey moron, what I posted is fvcking science

• Haha
Soccer, basketball, softball, baseball. It's weird, I've never claimed that by me volunteering to coach I'm this great person promoting good health in my community, like you're claiming. Personally I feel you need to do more in order to claim that.
You told me.to do something and I told you I'm already doing it and now you are trying to say it is I who is making some great claim. Much lol.

Multiple sports, nice, what years?

You told me.to do something and I told you I'm already doing it and now you are trying to say it is I who is making some great claim. Much lol.

Multiple sports, nice, what years?

You were originally bitching about people's health and so I told you to do something about it. For me personally, I don't think coaching/ref'ing is enough for what you're wanting to accomplish (better health for all). In order to do that, you have to really step up.

back in the 1990's and 2000's.

You were originally bitching about people's health and so I told you to do something about it. For me personally, I don't think coaching/ref'ing is enough for what you're wanting to accomplish (better health for all). In order to do that, you have to really step up.

back in the 1990's and 2000's.
If anything I've done discussing my belief towards the messaging that was given qualifies as "bitching" to you, you have amazingly thin skin. Feel free to point it out.

I believe we would have been much better off with messaging closer to "get healthy, stay active, get the shot" instead it was "get the shot and it will be gone in 2 weeks and Here is a couple grand for the trouble".

What I will say, out of the blue I was just asked what I'm doing about something and I was immediately able to respond with a viable answer, not because I thought today would happen, but because I love the game and try to do right by people, I'm OK with that. It may be in my little corner of the woods but the kids of my.community know they are going to have access to good soccer. You can play the "you should do more" gamw until you are in the grave.

If anything I've done discussing my belief towards the messaging that was given qualifies as "bitching" to you, you have amazingly thin skin. Feel free to point it out.

I believe we would have been much better off with messaging closer to "get healthy, stay active, get the shot" instead it was "get the shot and it will be gone in 2 weeks and Here is a couple grand for the trouble".

What I will say, out of the blue I was just asked what I'm doing about something and I was immediately able to respond with a viable answer, not because I thought today would happen, but because I love the game and try to do right by people, I'm OK with that. It may be in my little corner of the woods but the kids of my.community know they are going to have access to good soccer. You can play the "you should do more" gamw until you are in the grave.

We were dealing with a pandemic, not sure why someone would need to include "get healthy, stay active" in the message. That's a general overall message and has nothing to do with helping a pandemic that already hit. I don't remember trump and his people saying the pandemic will be gone in 2 weeks after getting the shot, but if he did say that, that's on trump. People have to be stupid to listen to him.

We were dealing with a pandemic, not sure why someone would need to include "get healthy, stay active" in the message. That's a general overall message and has nothing to do with helping a pandemic that already hit. I don't remember trump and his people saying the pandemic will be gone in 2 weeks after getting the shot, but if he did say that, that's on trump. People have to be stupid to listen to him.
You dont* remember the 2 weeks to stop the spread narrative? What?

Yeah man, if you have the voice of the nation, reminding people to stay active seems simple but should have been the message.

WHat make you think a molecule is bigger than a virus. Please show us the "science". Methane =.68nm Corona virus = .5 micrometer.

I personally didn't know what was bigger, but Whiskey sure tries to act like he knows what he's talking about. That damn metric system, fooled one our greatest scientists, whiskey.

You dont* remember the 2 weeks to stop the spread narrative? What?

Yeah man, if you have the voice of the nation, reminding people to stay active seems simple but should have been the message.

I took a more commonsense approach to the virus. Protect myself, get the vaccine when available, continue to protect myself, wait for the numbers to go down. I'm smart enough to know that it was a fluid situation.

I took a more commonsense approach to the virus. Protect myself, get the vaccine when available, continue to protect myself, wait for the numbers to go down. I'm smart enough to know that it was a fluid situation.
Unfortunately most Americans didn't keep themselves active and we now have a large group of people, students included, who cannot get back in gear.

There is a old line about an object in motion staying in motion, unfortunately, most, of the governments of the world applied such a force many people came to rest.

Unfortunately most Americans didn't keep themselves active and we now have a large group of people, students included, who cannot get back in gear.

There is a old line about an object in motion staying in motion, unfortunately, most, of the governments of the world applied such a force many people came to rest.

I disagree. I just went by the local Gym by me and the place was packed. I'm seeing kids out playing. The portal is alive as ever. We're seeing some of the best women's basketball. I disagree with your assessment, people have moved on, it's just a few that are clinging to covid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT